TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by diplomat33, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

#1 diplomat33, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
    Not making it up!

Per Elon Musk:
    That issue is better in latest Autopilot software rolling out now & fully fixed in August update as part of our long-awaited Tesla Version 9. To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety. With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features.
    Click to expand...​
    Elon Musk on Twitter

• Informative x 5
    • Love x 5
    • Funny x 1
  2. pkodali

pkodali Member

The only question is does he mean August 2018?

• Funny x 41
    • Like x 4
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

‘Begin to enable’ is the same thing as January a year ago when we were supposed to start getting features in FSD that weren’t part of EAP. In other words, when Elon first said those immortal words: ‘Three months probably, six months definitely’. (I paraphrase, probably.)

Unless he promises level 5, it’s not ‘full self driving’.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 2
  4. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

"begin to enable" means that they will start releasing features that are part of FSD. No, it is not the entire FSD in August but it's a start. It means that we will start seeing the first pieces of FSD in August.

• Like x 9
  5. pkodali

pkodali Member

So 8.2 and 8.3 are supposed to have a bunch of cool features like dashcam right? I wonder when's the plan to release those. 8.2 in June and 8.3 in July? But we're already in June

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  6. boaterva

Which is exactly what I said. :D Elon said exactly that in January 2017 and we have seen nothing.

What is wrong with what I said?

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. arubinst

arubinst Member

That means the long awaited refresh for the MS and MX will happen in August, with the introduction of AP 3.0 hardware ;)

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  8. boaterva

Or they might fold all that into 9.0. Who knows. The versions seem to be fluid with how things end up being released. I would have thought the major improvement of 2018.10.4 would have perhaps been 8.2 but it was a point point release of a biweekly. Go figure! :D

• Like x 1
  9. pkodali

pkodali Member

That's what I was thinking but wasn't the 8.2/8.3 tweet only a couple of weeks ago? Hard to believe that Tesla's timeline moved up in that little of time

10. boaterva

It sure was. But you wonder if they are reading a major release in 6 weeks!

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Wondering if this means a differentiation in features based on whether folks paid for fsd or not?

• Like x 1
  12. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I really want to see that park seek mode enabled. That’d be so cool.

• Like x 3
  13. luckyj

luckyj Member

Another year, another ~three months maybe? It will sure be nice if it happens, but sadly I can't help but completely dismiss these kinds of predictions...

• Like x 6
  14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

It could mean up to 10 weeks if it doesn't come out until the end of the month. :confused:

• Helpful x 1
  15. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Doesn’t make sense to start rolling out FSD features. FSD is binary. Either it’s “full” or it’s not. You can’t have a self driving car be “half full”. Or am I just being a pessimist

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 1
  16. croman

croman Active Member

It can do features like red light and stop sign. Then add more capabilities as the system grows.

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
  17. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

I think you misunderstand how Tesla is defining Full Self-Driving. If you look at the order page, there are two options, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. Tesla is using FSD as the name of the package that will contain self-driving features that are beyond Autopilot. Basically, any driving feature that is self-driving will go in the FSD package instead of the Autopilot package. Once Tesla finishes releasing all the self-driving features in the package, then FSD will allow full self-driving but at first, FSD will simply be like another Autopilot that can do more self-driving stuff.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  18. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Well certain road types/traffic conditions represent the low hanging fruit of FSD, (truck lust, on screen icons etc) so I would expect updates to begin here.

I just hope that some owners can overcome their urge to jam actual fruit into Tesla steering wheels.

Definitely the off-Broadway of Beta testing. Especially when the orange could probably give better feedback.

19. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

You are referring to when Musk promised in Feb 17 that FSD would begin rolling out in 3-6 months, right? August is just a couple months after the 6 month mark so he was not that far off the mark.

Probably. Per Musk's tweet, V9 will shift focus to FSD.

• Funny x 1
  20. Matias

Matias Active Member

Except that the year has changed...

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2