Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto Lane change ability is based on Tesla autopilot maps. Afaik the GPS chip (as pretty much any modern chipset) can receive GPS, GALILEO AND GLONASS. Autosteer only becomes available if all sensors report functionality. So if the GPS isn't working, no autosteer. Reported functionality does NOT equal actually working, it only means the sensor doesn't register as broken or similar.
Now is anything is announced to happen "in August" we all now that means August 31st, 23:59:59.

Usually non-test builds are released either bi- or four-weekly on even weeks. Rollout seems to start end of the week or starting the following. I.e. .26 started rolling out only in at least week 27 or later (according to ev-fw). Dot-releases like .26.2 can come later, like rolling out in week 30.

Today we're in week 31, so we might start seeing .28. Personally I think that's unlikely as we just got .26.2 last week. It might be another 2 weeks until we see any new version numbers.

Next time hopefully with some of the long overdue functionality and not niche, unasked for stuff like the limiter or the party-camper mode. Heck, full AP1 feature parity is still not here, 20 months and counting! Most prominently sign recognition.

No, it's more they seem to like late-middle of the week (Wed/Thurs) for rolling out new firmware versions lately.

But as I've said before, it would be extremely extremely odd to see a new release show up without a few odd-numbered early access builds first.

Also, a big release in the beginning of the month?! Highly unlikely! If they're not 3-6 months late, the firmware will at least come out towards the end of the month.

Waymo's Self-Driving Cars Are Near: Meet the Teen Who Rides One Every Day

They missed an opportunity to call the article"a girl and her self driving car". Oh well :). The article was good, all the way until I read $19 for 11 mile ride. Why?!? I'd rather drive at these prices. Would cost$12k to ride 7k miles which is where I am with model 3 today and still have hopes for self driving with this car in the next two years.

Waymo's Self-Driving Cars Are Near: Meet the Teen Who Rides One Every Day

They missed an opportunity to call the article"a girl and her self driving car". Oh well :). The article was good, all the way until I read $19 for 11 mile ride. Why?!? I'd rather drive at these prices. Would cost$12k to ride 7k miles which is where I am with model 3 today and still have hopes for self driving with this car in the next two years.
If you're looking for cheap transportation, Model 3 isn't anywhere near the cheapest. There are brand new Eco cars for under $15K. Now, recalculate how much would have to pay per mile if you don't have a drive's license, or simply want to sleep in the car while commuting? Your Model 3 doesn't offer you that, and never will. Some day, some newer AP Model 3 might, but not the current incarnation. But, looking at current capabilities, Waymo self-drives, Tesla does not.