Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is it.

An update is coming.
But you can't rely on his when.
And you can't rely on his what.

Basically, his statements should be taken seriously but as a signal of general intent.

I would make a slight refinement to this: It is a signal of his intent, which is probably not shared by, nor even sanity-checked by, his lieutenants and the engineers actually tasked with doing the work. Might be better to use the word "whim" rather than "intent" when talking about Mr. Musk.

Why is Tesla investing resources in a pickup truck big enough to carry a normal full-size pickup truck in its bed? This is a fun fantasy for his ego but such a vehicle would not sell well because it won't fit in anybody's garage. Maybe they should invest resources in fulfilling the promises they've already accepted payment for instead.

I would make a slight refinement to this: It is a signal of his intent, which is probably not shared by, nor even sanity-checked by, his lieutenants and the engineers actually tasked with doing the work. Might be better to use the word "whim" rather than "intent" when talking about Mr. Musk.

Why is Tesla investing resources in a pickup truck big enough to carry a normal full-size pickup truck in its bed? This is a fun fantasy for his ego but such a vehicle would not sell well because it won't fit in anybody's garage. Maybe they should invest resources in fulfilling the promises they've already accepted payment for instead.

Notably, this claim was backed up during the same earnings call by the actual lieutenants working on the new chip/autopilot. It was one of those(I forget precisely which one) who actually stated that freeway->freeway was coming in this update.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Just don’t hold your breath. I wish it would be released “soon” but after 4 years of @Elonmusk tweets and prognostications from Quarterly Earnings Reports and Annual Stockholders MeetIng letdowns.....I am not anticipating it will be released for at least 2-3 months Maybe December if we are lucky.

It’s weird. It’s a publicly traded company. For the CEO to make these unfulfilled promises simply exposes the entire company to (even more) shareholder lawsuits for making false promises. A pattern of these statements can be interpreted as fraud. For the sake of the company, he should avoid saying ANY dates and simply say “these are the things we are working on. Some might make it to market, many will not.”

Ok, NONE of my senses have felt a tremor in the force to make me believe anything v9 was coming "soon". Who knows maybe Tesla will pull a rabbit out of their hat it's happened before... Oh wait no it hasn't....

We have seen a decrease in the frequency of updates and the only thing we are seeing is bug fixes (likely hotfixes on the prior versions)
My speculation is that the dev team has shifted focus to finalize the review/testing of the v9 release. If Musk said it will roll out to early access program in August, then it will probably happen in September, and we might see a full rollout in October.

It’s weird. It’s a publicly traded company. For the CEO to make these unfulfilled promises simply exposes the entire company to (even more) shareholder lawsuits for making false promises. A pattern of these statements can be interpreted as fraud. For the sake of the company, he should avoid saying ANY dates and simply say “these are the things we are working on. Some might make it to market, many will not.”

We all know Musk is an optimist, but I also think he's just not a software guy so he doesn't have a good feel for the complexity of some of the things he promises.

Reactions: MelaniainLA

Software(and hardware) delays are pretty common across companies, publicly traded or not.

Software(and hardware) delays are pretty common across companies, publicly traded or not.

A CEO that speaks first, thinks later, and has a company that is perpetually 6-36 months behind his mouth is not normal. We shouldn’t pretend that it is.

I love me some Elon and love my car but the BS hype machine is getting old fast.

Q2 transcript:
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Quote Elon (August 2nd):
" ... the version 9 software release which has got a number of really cool things in it. And we're hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. "

He also tweeted on August 6th:
"... Major enhancements to Autopilot & fun games coming in a month with V9.0."
Robert Scoble on Twitter

There's "hoping" and "start rolling out". I dare say anyone expecting a glimpse of V9 in August (in the form of an early access leak) is an optimist.

Even if it was making its way to the early access program around that time, given the number of Bugfix releases recently (and from my experience of owning a Tesla for 3 years now starting with V6.1), there is no good reason to believe a major version update is not going to be significantly bugged. Hence the "then broadly in September" is also an optimist estimate.

Sorry for raining on anyone's parade, I'd love to see massive new features rolled out more than anyone, but many people seem to be reading too much into quite flexible wording.

Quote Elon (August 2nd):
" ... the version 9 software release which has got a number of really cool things in it. And we're hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. "

He also tweeted on August 6th:
"... Major enhancements to Autopilot & fun games coming in a month with V9.0."
Robert Scoble on Twitter

Which is only the latest hedge after spinning up the hype machine back in June (which itself was the start of this very thread).

Elon Musk on Twitter