Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want the feature first referenced during the October 2014 event - stop sign reaction (not to be confused with mere plebeian recognition).

This same feature was again made to appear imminent at least two different ways (video, statements made) in December 2016.

If v9 launches on August 30th, just to pick a date, then maybe we get v9.1 by late Oct/Nov. I’d surprised if stop sign reaction was even in *that* release. Am not much interested in lane changing or exit ramp management.

But stop sign reaction, expanded to traffic signal management (I’ll stick with my previously-prognosticated 2019-2020 pending Tesla’s SoC), would be huge. Imagine 12 FSD-enabled Teslas, and only 12 FSD-enabled Teslas at a stop light. When the light turns green, *everybody leaves at the same moment*. Oh, be still my widdle heart.

Sadly, what we’ll actually have for at least another 20 years will be a mix of smarter and dumber vehicles at those red lights. Fortunately, below ground, there might be a Hyperloop/tunnel somewhere with effective sled management.

And so it goes.
So, stupid question, and maybe it’s answered in the Tesla feature list, but is there a standard definitely for Stop Sign Recognition? [I think the multiple Teslas case may need intercars comms...]

Do we mean ‘see it and stop’? That’s part 1, of course, but then what?

Having the car do anything else is a lot more difficult. People sometimes have a heck of a time navigating what to do next, especially at a four-way stop, especially if it’s a 2 lane (each side) road on all sides. We’ve had a couple of these here in NoVa where people can’t handle the double lanes of traffic on all sides (while traffic studies are done to warrant a signal, etc.).

So, if we mean, just stop and the driver will carry on and restart AP on the ‘other side’, would love it. Anything else, that’s going to be some serious AI! :D

I'm just worried that they are going to be releasing the much anticipated refresh of the Model S which is overdue. Interior/longer battery that's been long rumored. Would be consistent with major releases/versions in the past... So if I'm getting the current P100D, and let's just say in August, they release a P125D, I'll be super bummed.
Not sure what this has to with the topic :D AP updates haven’t been included with general refreshes. If you want to wait to be sure you get a ‘new’ S, which has been rumored to be coming for many months, then, yes, cancel and wait until it’s in the design studio.

So, stupid question, and maybe it’s answered in the Tesla feature list, but is there a standard definitely for Stop Sign Recognition? [I think the multiple Teslas case may need intercars comms...]

Do we mean ‘see it and stop’? That’s part 1, of course, but then what?

Having the car do anything else is a lot more difficult. People sometimes have a heck of a time navigating what to do next, especially at a four-way stop, especially if it’s a 2 lane (each side) road on all sides. We’ve had a couple of these here in NoVa where people can’t handle the double lanes of traffic on all sides (while traffic studies are done to warrant a signal, etc.).

So, if we mean, just stop and the driver will carry on and restart AP on the ‘other side’, would love it. Anything else, that’s going to be some serious AI! :D

Agreed that quickly there will be scenarios that are much more challenging.

With that said, my reference above, and since Oct 2014 as bolstered by the Dec 2016 video (later determined to be staged, and that’s being generous) is solely and simply with regard to the scenario in that Dec 2016 video:

Car approaches a stop sign.
Car stops. Woo!
Car resumes route by turning right and heading on down the road. Double woo and can I get a hoo?!

That’s it. No mas, no menos. C’est finis.

I'm just worried that they are going to be releasing the much anticipated refresh of the Model S which is overdue. Interior/longer battery that's been long rumored. Would be consistent with major releases/versions in the past... So if I'm getting the current P100D, and let's just say in August, they release a P125D, I'll be super bummed.
Tesla always has something new in the works.

You can wait, forever, or buy now. As the song goes, “if you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.”

• Funny
Reactions: jtpassat
Elon has to roll out something and call it FSD or risk getting sued for all the FSD sales he's already made since Dec. 2016. If it can at least spot a fire truck, my wife would be happy.

Which is why this announcement about V9 should not really be that surprising. Tesla needs to start delivering something on FSD soon not just to satisfy customers who already paid for it 2 years ago but also to stay competitive with other auto makers who are starting to release their own "autopilot" systems. Plus, I suspect that Tesla is pretty confident that Autopilot is built on a solid foundation so they are feeling pretty good about releasing some FSD features now.

Reactions: Joe F
Even when Musk is wrong on specific dates and deadlines, his tweets are still informative, at least to me, because they give us a hint of what to expect.

I agree that they are informative. One thought, though: While Elon's tweets sometimes inform us on what to expect, other times they don't, really.

IMO their largest value is this: They tell us - to an extent - what Tesla is working on at a given moment in time. Barring an outright lie (which I don't believe), we've gained a lot of insight of this over time, even in cases where things didn't come to fruition or are yet pending.

Sometimes the tweet materializes (sooner or usually later) and sometimes it doesn't, but it is always informative for Tesla news followers to gain insights into what Tesla is or was working on at a given moment. Quotes from key people always help in this.

What to expect is another game entirely, though. I think a large argument exists counter to that. :) But it remains useful to know, for example, that Elon thought FSD features would come 3-6 months from January 2017 or, in late 2016, that AP1 would get navigation-based off-ramp in December 2016.

It gives insight into their mindset and work at the time, even if we were to deduct some hubris from the statement...

I'll be holding my breath

At 11:59 PST August 31st

My guess is you'll be able to autopark after exiting the car. Ie the car will parallel park and perpendicular park itself. Seems like the easiest FSD feature to turn on

Ugh, dont think Id trust that at all. Plus dont really see the benefit aside from the wow factor. I mean are you really just going to walk away and not look back while the car is parking? If youre just going to stand outside the car while its doing it, then might as well be in the car, unless maybe space is super super tight.

Theres been way way too many missed dates for me to pay attention to the dates he puts up on Twitter. I'm not upset about it, which is good as Im a super impatient person, I figure it'll come come when it comes...the dates just dont actually mean anything.
And thats coming from someone who was "duped" when they bought their Dec 2016 Model S, thinking it had working and all.

Reactions: NerdUno and croman
Ordering my new P100D today for July delivery. Will likely order FSD just 'cause, though I would not have done that yesterday. But I've always been a sucker for the latest and greatest when it comes to Tesla. If the past is prelude, ordering AP back in July of 2015, and rushing to upgrade my P85D to ludicrous, both suggest that I won't regret going for FSD today.

I was talking about people who passed on FSD. They will be kicking themselves because they will now have to pay extra if they want any of the FSD features.
This equation is not that straight forward in other parts of the world. Here in Australia our luxury car tax is so obscenely high that purchasing FSD afterwards is cheaper than buying it with the car - the luxury car tax on the price of FSD is more than the extra it costs.

I think many people when they hear of an upcoming enhancement will naturally assume it will be included in EAP when in fact Tesla decides the feature is for FSD owners only.
You can be sure there will be some heated discussion over this.