Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does it matter what the rated horsepower is as long as the car matches the acceleration performance specs? Is it just the fact that they lied about the horsepower?
Yes. If you know the hp of the car, and its weight, you have certain expectations of how the car will perform. They didn't be publishing tables of 5,000 benchmark times from any speed between 0 and 99 to any speed between 1-100. By your logic they would have been excused if the car did 0-60 in 3.2s and then 30 second to go from from 60mph to 70mph. My P85D has plenty of 0-60 getup, but it doesn't behave like you would expect a 691hp car from 40mph-70mph.

So yes, just because they met some other specs on the car, doesn't excuse them from lying about others. HP and 0-60 are related, but by far not the same thing (think semis, lots of hp, not necessarily fast 0-60).

• Love
Reactions: OPRCE and kavyboy
So yes, just because they met some other specs on the car, doesn't excuse them from lying about others. HP and 0-60 are related, but by far not the same thing (think semis, lots of hp, not necessarily fast 0-60).

Your point is solid, but worth noting semis do not have particularly insane horsepower ratings, 400-500 is pretty common. Torque on the other hand...

They may have some legal issue taking it away from the cars they already sold as "FSD capable", or simply didn't get around to removing it from the MyTesla systems.
They moved it to a new area, so I don't think it was a 'didn't get around to removing it'. It would have been easier to just remove it and not create a new selection for it.

Reactions: hiroshiy
This is now December and when you place your order they is no listing for FSD , yes we have AP (autopilot) v9. Personally it may be some time yet months to years before approvel on FSD becomes active, Like Elon says “Safety First” then you have all no sayers that will push it back until car drive safely without any driver invention completely safe under all condition how long that may it maybe version V18.0.0.0 . If anyone can tell me the date glad to listen.

Sorry getting ahead thinking when my M3 going to be delivered Dec. 3 Wish I was there already, but I’ll keep my other dimensional time warp just in case ,laugh out loud. But by chance if you hear from me today January lt’s only my 3rd dimensional time plane that I am in. So tommrow is yesterday from pervasively day before prior today it never existed ,only yesterday, I asked “Alexa” and that what it told me.

"begin to enable" means that they will start releasing features that are part of FSD. No, it is not the entire FSD in August but it's a start. It means that we will start seeing the first pieces of FSD in August.

People who prepurchased FSD are going to start getting new features later this year. They are going to start getting something for their money at the discount. So why would they be kicking themselves? They are getting what they paid for. I was talking about people who passed on FSD. They will be kicking themselves because they will now have to pay extra if they want any of the FSD features.

The doubters have been right about the delays, yes. But the jury is still out on whether Tesla can do L4/5 on AP2.5. And Tesla starting to release some FSD later this year would be a good sign that they are closer to L4/5 autonomy than the doubters think.

Whats your thoughts on this now? seeing as we are in 2019?

Whats your thoughts on this now? seeing as we are in 2019?

Well, my predictions were wrong obviously. I am not afraid to admit that. But Tesla appears to be on track to release the new AP3 chip this year and we know it is much faster than the AP2 chip and is purportedly designed from the ground up to handle the more complex NN that Tesla has developed for FSD. We also know that Tesla is currently inviting employees to join a beta testing group for FSD. The new chip and the confirmation that they are starting closed testing of FSD this year is a very good sign that Tesla is moving forward with FSD. So I definitely think that we will see major progress on FSD this year. When we actually get FSD released to the public is another matter.

Well, my predictions were wrong obviously. I am not afraid to admit that. But Tesla appears to be on track to release the new AP3 chip this year and we know it is much faster than the AP2 chip and is purportedly designed from the ground up to handle the more complex NN that Tesla has developed for FSD. We also know that Tesla is currently inviting employees to join a beta testing group for FSD. The new chip and the confirmation that they are starting closed testing of FSD this year is a very good sign that Tesla is moving forward with FSD. So I definitely think that we will see major progress on FSD this year. When we actually get FSD released to the public is another matter.

In your mind, does "FSD" mean the car can drive itself "in almost all circumstances" (as the current description says) without a human paying attention and being ready to take over at any moment? Or even without a human in the car at all, as would be required for the Tesla Network ride sharing service?

One thing that makes me optimistic is that even on HW2, the Karpathy era neural net updates are pretty darn close to miraculous. They appear out of the blue every few months and it does result in huge changes. Sure some times there’s a little setback here or there but overall it represents huge changes in capability. If you were to rewind your car to 2018.10.4, which at the time we thought was great..... it would feel like junk. It did a lot of aggressive recentering, couldn’t do tight corners, cars more than 100ft in front would dance around and not get assigned to a lane, etc.

They’ve been on a roll in 2018. I’m much more inclined to believe their 2019 progress compared to when AP2 first launched. I’m sure they won’t hit on all their promises, but I’d be willing to bet at the end of 2019, we can say some similar things.

Yes, Tesla's AP-Team being forced to dog-food their own software can only help accelerate progress.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D