TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Firmware or Vaporware

Discussion in 'Model S' started by boonedocks, Jun 18, 2017.

1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Oct 2016.....Dec 2016...February, March April, May, June....next week....next month....next week....tomorrow.....

I'm a fanboy but the delay for our AP2 update are beginning to remind me of a childhood story.....

IMG_1636.JPG

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

My car is a Dec 2013 build so I've avoided all the AP1/AP2 angst. But for absolute sure, if/when I replace the S with a Model 3 (or, a lottery win allows me another S), if APx hardware is included but the s/w "won't be quite ready until next week", I won't be purchasing the AP option. I'll take the $500 or whatever hit purchasing that option later, when there's actually something to purchase.

• Like x 2
  3. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

I think if you are buying the car and you plan on keeping it for a while, you might as well buy EAP if you want it. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on my auto wipers.

4. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you are happy with what it does today and want it, absolutely get it. If you are buying in hoping for some functionality not there today, there is no guarantee it will be working by the time you sell your car (or it turns into dust of old age), so "might as well buy" only applies if you have faith or it's not a large sum of money for you, so "might as well".

5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

vaporware...... still on 17.17.4. "Is it next week yet?"..... "is it next month yet?" "Is it silky smooth yet"? ........

• Like x 3
  6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Service Center has our car for other maintenance - and has installed 17.24.28. Looking forward to testing the "silky smooth" AP when we pick it up...

7. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Anyone know if auto high beams are included in this next update? I miss those from my AP1 car....

8. Noodle Asylum

Noodle Asylum Member

Auto high beams were added in 17.17.4 for AP2 vehicles, so yes it would be in this update.

9. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

I don't think 17.24.28 is the silky smooth update.

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Based off earlier reports, it seems more likely that these updates primarily add radar-only braking to HW1. Something must be holding up the silky smooth updates.

11. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Wierd I have 17.18.50 and don't seem to have them...

12. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Driving back from the Service Center, AP did seem smoother.

The release claims to support perpendicular parking, but I couldn't get it to trigger in several shopping center parking lots.

Biggest surprise was a recalculation of the current charge level in rated miles - before the update 90% for our S 100D was usually 307-309 miles of rated range. After the first 90% charge, that's dropped to 301 - which could reduce the 100% charge from 344 (measured by multiple S 100D owners) to around 335, which is what Tesla has posted on their website.

• Informative x 2
  13. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

17.18.50 seemed like an oddball update for AP2. Indeed, 17.17.x had auto high beams, but 17.18.50 for AP2 did not.

14. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

This part is really interesting to me. I was going to mention in my back-to-back 70D vs 100D road trips that I thought the 100D was burning through rated miles noticeably faster than the 70D, but I chalked that up to just the 100D being heavier. It seems like perhaps the current rated miles are a bit inflated.

15. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

I guess it was too good to be true... :)