TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware Release Slowdown

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by J Roc, Jan 12, 2018.

1. J Roc

J Roc Member

In 2017, it seems like Tesla had a release version every two weeks. Although 2017.50.3 was released during Week 52, Tesla released no firmware with a 2017.52 version number. Given that, I kind of expected a 2018.2 version, but time is running out on that if week 2 runs from January 8, 2018 January 14, 2018. Maybe the next release will mark 8.2 or 9.0 ::fingers crossed::.

2. North75

North75 Member

Maybe the software development team got to take some time off for the Holidays.

• Like x 2
  3. d21mike

d21mike Member

i was thinking the same thing. My hope is maybe they are working on major release and it is simply not ready. Like the new Navigation Maps etc.

4. J Roc

J Roc Member

I would think that, but Tesla had releases on weeks 52 and 2 in past years.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

We need to cut them some slack, releasing every 2 weeks may be the norm for a free to play phone game, but it is already super aggressive for software that controls hundred of thousands of machine with people inside on public uncontrolled environments. Many companies enter code freeze during the holiday and we expect them to take some time off to recharge too. That being said, I am hoping for something amazing like a better browser or adjacent lane vehicle display / sign recognition, won't be upset if it takes a few more weeks.

6. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

There’s still time on 2018.2. I remember a .x release missing its ostensible week by about a week for one of the 2017 releases. I’m expecting one by next Saturday.

7. J Roc

J Roc Member

I’m thinking the next release will be 2018.6, which would put the releases (at least by the versioning scheme) on a 4 week cycle.

8. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Don't conflate the rate of software releases with the rate of releasing new features/functionality, fixing bugs, etc.

Bruce.

9. J Roc

J Roc Member

I’m not. The rate of releasing material new features has slowed down even more if you look at the increased time per major point release (ie 6.0 to 7.0 to 8.0......hopefully 9.0).

10. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

My point (not well stated) was that the rate of releases doesn't really correspond to anything that we as users would see. Witness how many versions have release notes of "Minor bug fixes and improvements". So if one were to complain about features not being released quickly enough, that's fine. But the rate at which someone turns the release handle doesn't really mean a lot if there's no new features, fixes, etc. to push out.

That having been said, there seems to have been a sighting of a 2018.4.1:

New firmware update 18.4.1

Bruce.

11. J Roc

J Roc Member

So I have seen where an even number release is pushed during the subsequent week; however, I haven't seen where an even number release was skipped or pushed in the following even numbered week. For example, if 2018.8 was released today, it would be being released in week 10. If 2018.10 was the next release, then 2018.8 was skipped all together.

12. d21mike

d21mike Member

I only remember one which was 2017.52. At first I though maybe only 51 weeks in the year but there were 52 (pretty sure now).