Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware & Software Update Frequency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How frequently does Tesla do firmware (operating system) and software (apps etc) updates? I assume firmware is much more infrequent than software?

Additionally, does anyone know if the 2012 Model S is still being updated at all? Atleast maintenance security patches etc?

I've had my mid-2016 MS90D for little under 6 years (5 yr 9 mo to be precise). Over that time frame I've had 69 different software versions. That's an average of 1 every 30 days but I've gone as long as 83 days between updates and as little as 1 day, so there is a wide variation.

I cannot speak to a 2012 MS, but for most of 2021 I still had MCU1 an my updates seemed to have become more like every 2-3 month type of cycles.

I updated to MCU2 in early December 2021. Since that time I've been getting updates regularly at about 1-3 weeks. Some of this more frequent updates potentially related of the new V11 UI coming out towards end of last year. I tend to see more frequent updates in the first few months after a major UI rewrite. Whether that's Tesla just being sloppy at implementation or does a poor job understanding what customers really want from the UI, but either way I tend to see frequent updates shortly after new UI comes out to address the multitude of issues/complaints that seem to immediately happen.

Your mileage may vary. Just saying some data from my experience.

update frequency on my late-2015 AP1 70D is very similar to what @PCMc reported above. In 6yrs+3months my car received 74 software updates - average 31 days between updates, median 24days, max 90days between

I upgraded to MCU2 6mo ago in Sep 2021, and in the approx 1yr prior to upgrading MCU the update frequency had definitely slowed down to maybe around once every 2-3months. Since updating to MCU2 I've received 14 updates, about half of those V11 related