Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update to 2018.12 last night. No map changes that I can tell. AP1 seems to be smoother on takeoffs and stops in traffic. Voice recognition seemed to have deteriorated. Screen seemed maybe a bit snappier, but not noticeably. AP1 did at one point refuse to go over 58 on the freeway when the lane next to me was slow but mine was wide open. Too soon to give a verdict but those are my observations for now.
Have you tried to reboot the car? I see in many posts that sometimes after an update doing a reboot fixes issues. Hoping that fixes any issues you have.

Reactions: Tazman
Have you tried to reboot the car? I see in many posts that sometimes after an update doing a reboot fixes issues. Hoping that fixes any issues you have.

Had purple rear camera malaise with *.6.1

B8DD7C34-5374-4F7D-A0FF-73F87B7FD362.jpeg

and green rear camera malaise with *.10.4.

379162AC-AB15-4CF9-8B2B-C903E5653A2A.jpeg

Has anyone had either with *.12?

Both were banished with a scroll wheel reboot. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
On my 2018.12, I notice that the IC would render a car that is at the edge of the detection range (~100m) too far to the left. Even when it is center well in its lane to my eyes, the IC would render it straddling the left lane. It won’t be until the car is closer say 50m from me or so that it would snap back to center. When it is transitioning the car image would snap back and forward between the correct center and wrong left position. Anyone else seen this? Also, is it me or does the detection range of the cars in the IC seems really short. When it is barely visible in the faded horizon in he IC, the car is only say 100m away in real life. Does AP2.5 have longer detection range?

I have s100d ap2 delivered June 2017. This behaviour started with 2018.10 and is still present 2018.12

The actual AP function works very well though. Just rendering of cars are off.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
On my 2018.12, I notice that the IC would render a car that is at the edge of the detection range (~100m) too far to the left. Even when it is center well in its lane to my eyes, the IC would render it straddling the left lane. It won’t be until the car is closer say 50m from me or so that it would snap back to center. When it is transitioning the car image would snap back and forward between the correct center and wrong left position. Anyone else seen this? Also, is it me or does the detection range of the cars in the IC seems really short. When it is barely visible in the faded horizon in he IC, the car is only say 100m away in real life. Does AP2.5 have longer detection range?

I have s100d ap2 delivered June 2017. This behaviour started with 2018.10 and is still present 2018.12

The actual AP function works very well though. Just rendering of cars are off.

My car on 10.4 does the same.

My car has downloaded over 30 GB of data after getting .12. I rebooted the MCU and now it’s stopped downloading.

AP1 is smoother in this update.

It was downloading the new map files and you probably stopped it before it was done.

I got 2018.12 early morning on the 28th and the last few days I've noticed that the vampire drain when parked and not plugged in was less, but the vampire drain sitting plugged in at home was way up. I was seeing 4 miles of range drop in a few hours. I washed the car while listening to a memory stick in the car Saturday afternoon and it ate about 4 miles of range sitting in the driveway. The car has to be "idling" to play the infotainment system with nobody in the car (hit the brake and close the door).

We went and ran some errands Saturday around 6 PM. We went in a store and after getting back the middle screen rebooted when I started the car. When it came back up, the change notes for the new map system popped up which weren't there right after the upgrade. Immediately after the upgrade the only note was about using the phone app to open the frunk or trunk and some older notes.

I didn't notice any major differences with the maps though.

It appears it can take a few days for the new maps to fully download to the car. You get a second surprise update when they finish loading.

The original navigation software used routing software and navigation map data from Navigon/Garmin.

The new navigation software is evidently using maps from Mapbox and Valhalla's routing software (Valhalla was acquired by Mapbox).

NAV 1.0 displayed Google road and satellite maps on the console display and used the offline navigation map database for routing and for display on the dashboard.

If the console display for NAV 2.0 shows "Google" in the lower right corner, then Google maps are still being used for the console display. If the Google logo is gone, then the console maps must be from another source, which might be the offline navigation map database (which seems unlikely, due to the size of the satellite data).

Since we haven't received the update on either of our Model S cars yet, can't verify this ourselves - yet...

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Internet slowed down to a CRAWL. Looked on bandwidth and looks like tessy is downloading 30gb of something special lol

So we garage our 2 Teslas deep underground at both Home and Work with no WiFi but surprisingly great LTE. One car was at SC yesterday but they refused to load the maps update, saying “be patient.” Any thoughts on how to get this update, short of parking our cars on the street at night (bad idea where we live - guaranteed breakin) with our cell phone creating a WiFi hotspot?

From what I've seen, they *never* install the update, they download it. Then you can install it when you want. Just because it does take that extra hour, and they want to get the car out of the way.

And, if there were going to be an Easter Easter Egg, this would have to roll out as quickly as 2017.50.2/3 for Ho Ho Ho. Even that missed some people for Christmas, and this one is not really ramping very quickly yet....

Correct. On my SC appointment last week, they "side-loaded" the latest firmware update... which I installed that later that evening at home when prompted by the Tesla app an update was available.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So we garage our 2 Teslas deep underground at both Home and Work with no WiFi but surprisingly great LTE. One car was at SC yesterday but they refused to load the maps update, saying “be patient.” Any thoughts on how to get this update, short of parking our cars on the street at night (bad idea where we live - guaranteed breakin) with our cell phone creating a WiFi hotspot?

Apparently the maps will not download unless you are on wifi. So LTE is useless. But the maps are "meh", so it shouldn't really be compelling. Currently people aren't reporting much better routing and that Waze et al are still much better. Tesla should really focus on Car Play/Android Auto.

I'm in the middle of nowhere and when I get home I'm sure my wifi will enable the maps but I'm not fussed. It is unfortunate that the SC didn't load them for you or at least let you stay on their wifi long enough to get the maps. After all, Elon did say it was light-years ahead and so it seems rather important but I am just underwhelmed.