Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you and/or @verygreen would post instructions, would gladly do that!!

It’s out there, google around ask intelligent questions via dm, there are people in the shadows that help, google is your friend, don’t post anything public or Tesla will crush it like a worm. Stay in the shadows.
All you have to do is multiply.. :D

1 Mb (megabit, not byte) per second. Even at that rate, it comes out to about half a GB (Giga BYTE) in an hour. That's why I was saying no matter the speed and processing, it shouldn't take days to download this unless something is really going on, like it's resetting and starting over again and again.

(1 Mb/second X 3600 seconds/hour/ 8 bits/byte = 450 MegaBytes in an hour. So over 10 GB (10.8) in a day.

And that's at 1 MegaBIT speed!

This is how people got anything done back in the day of dialup (1200/2400/9600 bits/second) :D

This is the bomb... https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-U...d=1522623798&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+gateway

And for wireless get the AC pros

Don't want to hijack this thread and get Bruce mad at me.. :D But I did look at google's alternative... Don't recall why I went for Orbi; I think (like Tesla) they may be adding features as we go along.

Edit: Found why I didn't get the Google WiFi and adding it here in case it's of use to users of Verizon FiOS: It doesn't do bridge mode if you want more than one AP unit, which is the whole point of a mesh Wifii network. You normally want to bridge when adding a different WiFI to a FiOS router to use the same network (address space) and to keep the WiFi devices separate from the DVR MoCA network. If you have no idea what I mean, you don't have FiOS and TiVos. :D

I have both, and ubuitis I posted earlier are what you want.

so my issues with 2018.12 is more connected to tunein i,m logged into tunein i am premium but before update never got premium features now msnbc shows up never did before but sometimes icon shows up sometimes no , half the time get loading error half time loading fine also noticed when using waze voice command do not play thru car but can play stuff on iphone either music or podcasts or tunein from iphone source work fine? anyone anyone?

2018.12 seems to slow down. Only 8 new cars today on TeslaFi. Are there any known bugs that would explain the slowdown?
Not that we've seen but remember that both reporting sites are from cars that have accepted an offered update. The software has to be installed to then report back to TeslaFi. And on ev-fw, it has to either automatically (some) or manually report (most) report back.

It's not 'Tesla has offered these cars the update today'. Unfortunately. It's who has taken the time to do the update and then (for ev-fw) reported it. On a holiday or other abnormally busy day, the numbers may be delayed or lumped into the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I see your points @boaterva and they are reasonable. Only if I compare it to the 17.50.2 or .50.3 rollouts which happened on another holiday, the numbers increased more rapidly.
I thought .12 could maybe be like the .10 that goes to a smaller batch of cars to test something, Tesla will then make some fine tuning and then "hit the fleet" with a .12.x like the 10.4. But that's just speculation. Let's wait and see. It's 2am here, a good time to do exactly that: sleep and see in the morning. Hmm, Teslaquilla for a nightcap? :D

50.2 and 3 did have the rollout to get Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho) and AutoWIpers to the S&X fleet.... not sure that's a good comparison. I do agree it seems to be slowing even more that we would expect; but we'll have to see tomorrow when it's a more normal day.

Don't end up in a cardboard box! :D

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Don't want to hijack this thread and get Bruce mad at me.. :D But I did look at google's alternative... Don't recall why I went for Orbi; I think (like Tesla) they may be adding features as we go along

Hey!!! :)

We actually do have a thread on TMC for gabbing about WiFi gear. I’m on my phone so can’t look it up easily, but it’s in Off-Topic. Feel free to geek out on networking stuff there...there’s a bunch of us techies watching that thread.

Edit: Wifi Router chatter

Bruce.

PS. On topic: I got 2018.12 a couple days ago, it was only notable because it seems like it’s been a long time since I last got an update. Haven’t noticed much of a change in auto steer on my AP1 car from 2018.6.1, but haven’t driven very far either. No map download yet, but I’m patient.

PS. On topic: I got 2018.12 a couple days ago, it was only notable because it seems like it’s been a long time since I last got an update. Haven’t noticed much of a change in auto steer on my AP1 car from 2018.6.1, but haven’t driven very far either. No map download yet, but I’m patient.
I've got a video coming but have you noticed any odd behavior with the lines? Now when cresting hills and taking sharp curves my lines on the autopilot display disappear but it still follows the road. When I was testing at first autopilot 2 was perfect. On 10.4 ap1 was smooth, after .12 my ap1 car was all over the place with autopilot, I was getting ready to post the video of the step backwards then all of the sudden my second run was better, then my third even better.
Now complicated roads the lines vanish and it seems to still track the road perfectly.

Hey!!! :)

We actually do have a thread on TMC for gabbing about WiFi gear. I’m on my phone so can’t look it up easily, but it’s in Off-Topic. Feel free to geek out on networking stuff there...there’s a bunch of us techies watching that thread.

Edit: Wifi Router chatter

Bruce.

Lol, thanks, Bruce! I’ve never explored OT, cool, one more way to waste, um, invest, yeah, that’s it, invest my time! :D

• Funny
Reactions: croman and AustinP
Apparently the maps will not download unless you are on wifi. So LTE is useless. But the maps are "meh", so it shouldn't really be compelling. Currently people aren't reporting much better routing and that Waze et al are still much better. Tesla should really focus on Car Play/Android Auto.

I'm in the middle of nowhere and when I get home I'm sure my wifi will enable the maps but I'm not fussed. It is unfortunate that the SC didn't load them for you or at least let you stay on their wifi long enough to get the maps. After all, Elon did say it was light-years ahead and so it seems rather important but I am just underwhelmed.

On my car the maps finished loading when I was away from home. Though the car was mostly on wifi sitting in the garage between the installation of .12 and the maps showing up.

If it took 3 days on strong WiFi your ISP sucks. Even the crappy car WiFi won’t take three days to download 5g at 1 mb/s, hours tops unless your on dial up or a dsl line....

2018.12 seems to slow down. Only 8 new cars today on TeslaFi. Are there any known bugs that would explain the slowdown?

It's highly likely the problem is on Tesla's end. They are sending out maps to ~200,000 cars in North America and it's probably the biggest data push they have ever done. The reason it's taking so long is probably not people's wifi or internet, it's that their server is bogged down with such a huge data load and each connection is only getting a trickle of data.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It's highly likely the problem is on Tesla's end. They are sending out maps to ~200,000 cars in North America and it's probably the biggest data push they have ever done. The reason it's taking so long is probably not people's wifi or internet, it's that their server is bogged down with such a huge data load and each connection is only getting a trickle of data.

Tesla has its CDN (content delivery network) hosted by amazon with different servers for different regions in the world and I guess also maps servers aren't the same as firmware updates servers.