Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And what are you doing for those 47 seconds? Nothing? Not touching the wheel? Then you need to touch the wheel. :D It makes you touch the wheel more often if you never touch the wheel. If you touch it once in a while, it knows you are awake, and then doesn't need to nag you as often to touch it. It's not as cut and dried as 'every 47 seconds'.

We went on a four hour trip a few weeks ago on 2018.12 and tried this out.

Yes, I was not touching the wheel. That is how you can determine the maximum time allowed for no hands detection. That was the whole purpose of my testing. Older firmware versions allowed for up to nearly 3 minutes.

Does anyone know if there are conditions other then wifi requirement for tesla updates (firmware or maps). Is there a charge condition (i.e. must be plugged in and have at least x% charged). I charge to 70% daily as a habit and only charge higher if I need it for travel the next day.
I am asking because I seem to notice it downloading when its charging but stops when charging is complete.

Getting a firmware update basically runs on the same rules as the lottery. You can wish all sorts of things, but if your number comes up, you get the prize. If it doesn't, you don't.

Service centers do have a way to prioritize a download for someone who has a problem that might be fixed with a newer firmware and Tesla has said they will be putting in a feature to enable users to request an update, but right now the SC is the only way you can get bumped up in line.

Had an odd error today... The steering wheel would not adjust either manually with the stick on the column or with any presets. I rebooted both screens but still nothing. I did a little shopping, got back in the car and everything worked again... Very strange and first time it ever happened to me.

I got an issue this morning with 12. In the last couple days since the nav update was released to me. Nav has been having a hard time and i see screen reboots. I set my Wifi on last night when I got home. Now it wont go back to LTE. As a result i no longer getting Radio and Nav. No LTE signal up on taskbar. When I got to work I hooked up to the office wifi and got everything back working until I left the office.

Should I do a reset? I was thinking I might have been downloading 16 or the maps but didn't want to reset if that were the case.

How do you tell how much data the car is downloading?

I got an issue this morning with 12. In the last couple days since the nav update was released to me. Nav has been having a hard time and i see screen reboots. I set my Wifi on last night when I got home. Now it wont go back to LTE. As a result i no longer getting Radio and Nav. No LTE signal up on taskbar. When I got to work I hooked up to the office wifi and got everything back working until I left the office.

Should I do a reset? I was thinking I might have been downloading 16 or the maps but didn't want to reset if that were the case.

How do you tell how much data the car is downloading?

There is a LTE outage going on now.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRocket
I know this release is old news now, but I have to say it. Just got back from another Vegas road trip using 2018.12, previously I did it on 2018.10.4. HANDS DOWN, 2018.12 is much much much superior to even 2018.10.4. Biggest differences I saw:

- Much better sharp curve performance. Even on Pacheco Pass and the Tehachapi mountains (the two most challenging sections of this drive), it kept the car perfectly centered, and seemed to be willing to turn the steering wheel much sharper than 2018.10.4. The only times I had to intervene was when someone else encroached into my lane and made me uncomfortable. Otherwise I think I drove less than 15 miles out of the 1000 miles and that was mostly getting to superchargers and other local stops.
- Way better brake ramping for sudden waves. It seems to not only recognize slow/stopped cars from longer, but now it acts in a much more human-like manner, where it will rapidly brake ahead of time, and then approach slower traffic at a much more reasonable speed. Before it would kind of start out with slow braking and then escalate as the distance closes, which makes it really stressful/difficult to correctly supervise

Locally I had been driving with 2018.12 and not noticing a big difference for weeks. It wasn't until this road trip that it was undeniable that there were improvements in 2018.12.

I agree. 2018.12 doesn't scare me on corners like previous versions did. It also doesn't hug the center line on 2-lane roads. It was really nerve-racking to meet other cars, especially semis, while driving 1-ft off the center line.

Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but this is the version I have. Strange thing happened while supercharging the other day...MCU showed 0kW throughout the session, and on a subsequent session. Had to reboot it to fix. But the IC showed fine, see picture

IMG_20180511_215008750_LL.jpg