Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 2018.12 update on Thursday. I see what i think is the new nav in the ICU but no change in the MCU maps yet.
From what's been said here and elsewhere, if you have the new maps active, the release notes should have the extra text saying so. Does yours have that?

I thought I might have it active after two days of the car 'processing' the new release, but no such luck. (No maps and nothing added to the release notes.)

We have been told that after the update is installed that it has to download 5-8GB of map data, over WiFi, before the new navigation system gets activated.
Exactly. So, does that take a couple of days? A week? My car is on 100 Mb Internet wifi... wonder how long it takes on a 'good' connection once 2018.12 is running....

Reactions: MelaniainLA
From what's been said here and elsewhere, if you have the new maps active, the release notes should have the extra text saying so. Does yours have that?

I thought I might have it active after two days of the car 'processing' the new release, but no such luck. (No maps and nothing added to the release notes.)

No luck on that yet. I do not have the release notes about new nav and do not see the new maps in the MCU yet.

Sooo... 10Mb x 3600 seconds, that's 4.5 GB per hour theoretical full speed. Still shouldn't take more than a few hours, even cutting by another factor of ten to a day or so. No?

Wonder what the real time hold up is.
well, first your car needs to be selected.

Hi, do you guys know from which company the new navigation software is? TomTom or Here for example?

It's a homegrown solution based on top of mapbox and valhalla (openstreetmaps).

Weird: just got car back From the service center, where they said that they downloaded the software. However, I do not see the yellow alarm clock in the top of the screen. Is there something that I missing? I even rebooted the car etc., with no luck. Should I expect it to take a while before I get the upgrade available notification?

Weird: just got car back From the service center, where they said that they downloaded the software. However, I do not see the yellow alarm clock in the top of the screen. Is there something that I missing? I even rebooted the car etc., with no luck. Should I expect it to take a while before I get the upgrade available notification?
When it's downloaded and ready to go, you are correct, it's in the 'install' state with the 'yellow clock' showing.

Did you check your release to see what you have? I supposed they could have installed it, but they 'never' do....

When it's downloaded and ready to go, you are correct, it's in the 'install' state with the 'yellow clock' showing.

Did you check your release to see what you have? I supposed they could have installed it, but they 'never' do....

Thanks. Yeah I checked and they didn’t install. Weird. I’ll have to ask if they can push it? The car is garaged several levels underground at both Home and Work, with zero WiFi available at either place. I can only get these large map updates etc at the SC :(

well, first your car needs to be selected.

It's a homegrown solution based on top of mapbox and valhalla (openstreetmaps).

Thank you. I was aware that Tesla used Mapbox and Valhalla as a mapping supplier in the past, but thought they switched to another supplier. Last year Tesla was referring to TomTom if you had any difficulties with the speed limits, for instance. Hopefully the new navigation software is way better

Thank you. I was aware that Tesla used Mapbox and Valhalla as a mapping supplier in the past, but thought they switched to another supplier. Last year Tesla was referring to TomTom if you had any difficulties with the speed limits, for instance. Hopefully the new navigation software is way better
i went to the service centre this week, and they said they had the update all set up to download. Seems like the new process is they have it ready to push to you car, but takes about 3 hours on tesla's LTE connection before it is available.

If i was you, i would go shopping and park the car (above ground) in the parking lot, and wait a little

Got the update to 2018.12 last night. No map changes that I can tell. AP1 seems to be smoother on takeoffs and stops in traffic. Voice recognition seemed to have deteriorated. Screen seemed maybe a bit snappier, but not noticeably. AP1 did at one point refuse to go over 58 on the freeway when the lane next to me was slow but mine was wide open. Too soon to give a verdict but those are my observations for now.