Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped off car at SC today morning and got an AP1 loaner. OMG! The AP is so smooth. There was no hesitation in lane changing. It didn't glitch: I did not have to turn blinkers on and off a second time to get lane change to work. That happens so often in my car (AP2.5). We could use some of that neural net from AP1 to improve AP2.

The loaner was on 2018.12 too... but it doesn't have new maps either. I guess we Canadians have to wait a bit more.

Hi I got .12 last night and maps are not updated yet I used the nav into work today and the cards were still showing up,voice is the same etc.. for me surprisingly the drive was a step back from 10.4 some of the s turns .10.4 could do well now I have to disengage it also seems to attack right turns later then having to correct harder. Also turn signal lane changing is more abrupt (not bad but just not as smooth as before .centering in the lane is not as sure as it was (10.4 for me was rock solid). If tesla engineers are reading the thread . You can put the settings back wher they were :) In 10.4 . They were great .

.12 is usable,
But not as enjoyable, I have to pay more attentoon in tricky spots than I did before So I now await the next update to seeif it is back to great! I’ll also go and see if a reboot helps

Last edited:
Just got the 2018.12 update and not seeing a huge difference from 2018.10.4, but I did see a big difference (smooth) with 10.4. Can we add map updates as a line item on the firmware tracker? Curious as to which cars are getting map updates and at what frequency.

With 2018.12, Did anyone else notice on main display the change in lower right hand corner where the navigation app used to have both “Navigation by Tesla” and “Google data” branding now has just “Google data” branding? So it seems from the branding in the navigation app that something has changed?

With 2018.12, Did anyone else notice on main display the change in lower right hand corner where the navigation app used to have both “Navigation by Tesla” and “Google data” branding now has just “Google data” branding? So it seems from the branding in the navigation app that something has changed?

Doesn't the Navigation by Tesla only show up if a route is in progress? I'm waiting for new maps, got 2018.12 yesterday, and have been connected to Wi-Fi, also connecting to the car via the app randomly throughout the day, so that it keeps its connection (though "Always Connected" is already ticked.)

Reactions: TS_Rob
It’s out there, google around ask intelligent questions via dm, there are people in the shadows that help, google is your friend, don’t post anything public or Tesla will crush it like a worm. Stay in the shadows.

This is the bomb... https://smile.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-U...d=1522623798&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+gateway

And for wireless get the AC pros

At my Office I went to one of these Ubiquiti setups and it is a really good system. I have the AC Pros. These require an Ethernet Cord to each Access Point. But a really good system.

I had an Orbi that worked but then started flaking out @ Home after a few months.
Never tried the Goolge Mesh but that would be more similar to the Netgear Orbi, tho there are differences, Orbi sold me on the "dedicated backbone" between main and Satellites that was supposed to equate to less added ping, I still saw an additional 20ms ping whenever on the satellite vs Main Router, plus I had my Random Shutdowns after a couple of months that seem to happen to the Orbis a lot.

Reactions: BigD0g
I have a classic (pre-AP) MS 85 kWh. Installed the firmware update (2018.12) on Saturday (3/31) night. The map update pop up appeared today - Wednesday (4/4) morning. I have strong WiFi signal at home, and a 100 Mbps internet subscription - pretty sure neither WiFi nor ISP were the bottleneck here. Surely it is Tesla that is taking this long to download, validate, install (and whatever else) the map update.

About the map update:
  1. I do not see any change in center console maps. Still Google Maps. Cannot say if it is vector maps - hard to tell. (Will report here if I figure it out). Someone posted change in colors etc, but I don't see it. The greens look still the same to me.
  2. Got the new interface for navigation on instrument cluster. At first glance, looks like it could potentially be better than what we had - UI-wise - but no big improvement for me yet. Labels for the exits are good, but at the same time, irrelevant exit labels do not need to be this prominent, if you ask me. Also, I thought the old UI was more sleek. The new one is a little too flashy. I may change my opinion with more usage.
  3. New navigation voice. I think I liked the old voice better. Again, may be judging too soon, and no big deal really.
  4. New navigation voice instructions. Clear improvement for my use case. More concise and precise.
  5. No comments on improved routing accuracy, and/or time saving re-routing. Haven't used it enough to judge.
About Elon's comment saying the new nav is light years ahead: It has happened in the past that when a big software update is announced, we actually get it in two parts. The first one does the aesthetic overhaul, with little functional improvement, is often buggy, and has missing functionality that existed before. Everyone (including me) starts screaming - complaining that this is just a change of skin, not really a big update etc. etc. And then an incremental update comes which turns out to be actually the real deal including big functional changes. Of course nothing will satisfy us completely, but this has happened often enough, that I would hold my judgement for a month or two this time. I expect the next incremental update will bring a bunch of new functionality like way-points, route preferences, and even route editing.

Doesn't the Navigation by Tesla only show up if a route is in progress? I'm waiting for new maps, got 2018.12 yesterday, and have been connected to Wi-Fi, also connecting to the car via the app randomly throughout the day, so that it keeps its connection (though "Always Connected" is already ticked.)

I do not have new maps showing yet in the MCU and do not see any "navigation by Tesla" while navigating - just the Google branding.

That's super funny but ap2 seriously rocketed past ap1 with this one. It's dead locked in the center over the crazy mountain hill crests I test with and ap1 now veers over lines now that it didn't before. It kinda point ponged before but didn't cross over. Now it's all over the place.
I have found 2018.12 for AP2.5 to be no better on local windy roads with a center line. It's completely unable to keep in its lane at 30mph, never mind a hairpin turn. Also, it is still unwilling to change lanes by itself on undivided (and some divided) roads.

On the other hand, on limited access highways it's getting noticeably better. I think it might be able to go over 17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz with no intervention if I were willing to let it. But it freaks me out how close it goes to the side barriers so I'm unable to stop myself from overriding it. And it won't change lanes on 17 for some reason, so I override it occasionally for that. Soon, I think. It's definitely much better than when I first drove my AP1 P85 on that route almost 2.5 years ago (when auto-steer debuted). In fact it's almost as good as I sorta, kinda, hoped it would be back then.

I have found 2018.12 for AP2.5 to be no better on local windy roads with a center line. It's completely unable to keep in its lane at 30mph, never mind a hairpin turn. Also, it is still unwilling to change lanes by itself on undivided (and some divided) roads.

On the other hand, on limited access highways it's getting noticeably better. I think it might be able to go over 17 from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz with no intervention if I were willing to let it. But it freaks me out how close it goes to the side barriers so I'm unable to stop myself from overriding it. And it won't change lanes on 17 for some reason, so I override it occasionally for that. Soon, I think. It's definitely much better than when I first drove my AP1 P85 on that route almost 2.5 years ago (when auto-steer debuted). In fact it's almost as good as I sorta, kinda, hoped it would be back then.
Turns out I had to get my Autopilot cameras replaced and that's why it went all over the place. I get it back today so I'll have a better idea of how ap1 is supposed to perform on the update.

Turns out I had to get my Autopilot cameras replaced and that's why it went all over the place. I get it back today so I'll have a better idea of how ap1 is supposed to perform on the update.

I'm trying to reconcile "Autopilot cameras" (plural) with "how ap1 is supposed to perform"? AP1 only uses one camera...???...

Did they say what was wrong with the cameras? Just curious as to what the failure mode was.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva