Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes my X fails to handle something well that it handled well in the past. The NN must be forgetting.

;)
Yes. And that implies to me that AP2 performance is pretty unpredictable really. More than I at least thought before. I base my theory on the X-crash at 101/85 and those subtle changes we reported all autumn, which probably was just no changes to the NN.

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if some updates require the NN to calibrate the cameras. The images on each car's cameras are slightly off due to angular changes in bodywork and camera mounting. The NN has to take reference points to synchronize camera images and that takes a few miles.

I watched the video and despite the learning argue, you're going 30km/h or nearly 50% over the speed limit in a curve and then you complain that the car goes too much to the outside or even over the line of that curve? Sorry, but my experience says it would perfectly stay in the lane if you take that curve with the allowed 70km/h. Human drivers or Autopilot, for both it's more challenging to take such at 100km/h than by 70.
Because of the speedup of the video it's hard to see the 70 sign and so some folks seeing such a video not familiar with Autopilot could think it's not safe and should maybe even forbidden.
Except that speed limits around here is not determined by the curves on the road. Lots of roads where the speed limit is 80 km/h, but with curves that cannot be driven safely above 40-50 km/h. The driver is expected to reduce speed to a safe level according to road, speed limit is just max allowed speed.

Speed limits on local roads and countryroads limit is determined by population around the road, schools and level of traffic (-10 km/h). None of those, and speed limit should be 80. Even on a real shitty road.

On highways is determined by environment, line of sight and curves. 110 km/h on good roads, down to 60 km/h on winter near/in cities with bad environment / much dust.

Did you watch the video? That wasn't a local road, it was kind a two-lane motorway and in my opinion fairly doable with 70km/h.
My point is, there are people out there, especially after the Highway 101 accident, that think L2 systems aren't safe or worse that they should be forbidden. Showing such manoeuvres on Youtube and commenting like it as it was APs fault doesn't help.

Reactions: don123 and oktane
Oh, crap... We're turning into Apple... Elon just tweeted that they will add a feature to request the current release!

Was talking to DJ about this the other day and it turned into:

upload_2018-4-5_15-25-46.png

I watched the video and despite the learning argue, you're going 30km/h or nearly 50% over the speed limit in a curve and then you complain that the car goes too much to the outside or even over the line of that curve? Sorry, but my experience says it would perfectly stay in the lane if you take that curve with the allowed 70km/h. Human drivers or Autopilot, for both it's more challenging to take such at 100km/h than by 70.
Because of the speedup of the video it's hard to see the 70 sign and so some folks seeing such a video not familiar with Autopilot could think it's not safe and should maybe even forbidden.
Yes...you are perfectly right! Didn’t want to underline i was speeding 30km/h over the limit.

I hear ya. The only (?) drawback is, if there's an issue, there will be a lot of us suffering, since we all will be jumping on the Cramer 'buy buy buy' (or 'upgrade upgrade upgrade') button. :D

Yeah, I can see that too. If there's a silver lining, it's that they can still nix the update if early monitoring of TMC reveals some major issue. Like right now, looking at 2018.12, it doesn't look like there's any reports of issues that 2018.10.4 doesn't have. It's just not considered big enough of a deal to bother everyone with (or Tesla is A/B testing? Who knows!). Giving us a option to push the latest firmware will solve that problem.

Reactions: boaterva
Oh, crap... We're turning into Apple... Elon just tweeted that they will add a feature to request the current release!

Was talking to DJ about this the other day and it turned into:

View attachment 292073

What are the odds that this is going to be like the "door close" buttons on elevators - it doesn't actually do anything, but it makes people feel better?

I can't imagine that Tesla thinks any of us don't want the latest firmware (except for a few holdouts stubbornly refusing to upgrade past 7.0 or 6.1) and I assume they are sending them to people as fast as they think it is wise.

They've shown that they can hit the whole fleet in a couple days if something critical comes along, but presumably if they were okay with doing that routinely they'd be doing it.

What are the odds that this is going to be like the "door close" buttons on elevators - it doesn't actually do anything, but it makes people feel better?

I can't imagine that Tesla thinks any of us don't want the latest firmware (except for a few holdouts stubbornly refusing to upgrade past 7.0 or 6.1) and I assume they are sending them to people as fast as they think it is wise.

They've shown that they can hit the whole fleet in a couple days if something critical comes along, but presumably if they were okay with doing that routinely they'd be doing it.
Uh... not do anything? Right now, people don't get the releases for weeks. I assume from DJ's message and Elon's response, it would work like on an iPhone: you request an upgrade and it comes within 30 minutes. And remember, "we* are really a small fraction of everyone. They probably think it's a good QA platform and takes some pressure off the group now deciding who gets it. :D

And what elevators don't close the doors when you tell them to? The call button doesn't do anything when you press it ten times.... :confused:

For me, everything is working perfectly on my old release. I've gone through enough bad releases that I'm happy to stay on my current release until there's a compelling reason to update. None of the new features interest me. I haven't updated in more than a year, probably.

I would like the ability to permanently dismiss the update.

Uh... not do anything? Right now, people don't get the releases for weeks. I assume from DJ's message and Elon's response, it would work like on an iPhone: you request an upgrade and it comes within 30 minutes. And remember, "we* are really a small fraction of everyone. They probably think it's a good QA platform and takes some pressure off the group now deciding who gets it. :D

I'm SPECULATING this feature will be something like "request the latest update that the car is qualified to receive". This would just remove the uncertainty of when the car polls the mothership for an update (e.g. you could do that part on demand), but they could still do a slow roll-out by limiting the set of cars that are qualified to receive an update. This would in principle be very similar to the times past when you could do this by driving inside a service center's geofenced area to request an update check. Your car wouldn't necessarily qualify for an update any faster, but the check could be done on demand. It fulfills the letter of what Elon tweeted but it continues to give Tesla a considerable amount of control over rollout. Also it'd be pretty easy to implement.

And what elevators don't close the doors when you tell them to? The call button doesn't do anything when you press it ten times.... :confused:

In my experience, at least in the United States, elevator close buttons only really function when the system is in "firefighter mode", and the open door and close door functions only happen when you press the buttons. In normal operation the close door buttons are really a no-op.

Confession from my youth: I was in a building once that had an elevator. It took a long time to call the elevator, so I pressed the button repeatedly. A lot. Finally it showed up, and lo and behold it was one of the old-fashioned lifts that had an actual human elevator operator in it, and I had just buzzed her like a dozen times. She was...annoyed. :eek:

Bruce.

I have never seen an elevator not close the doors when the button was pressed. This is really weird. Doors open and close controls work. I think they work 'slowly', but they do work. It may depend on when the system (elevator control) was installed... but, hm. Have to keep an eye on this now! Ridden in a lot of elevators, especially worked in several high-rises, and never had this experience.

Back on the subject (bad moderator! :D ), they can spin 'request' into anything they want, but I still think that the number of requests won't be that large. We here (and on reddit) are not that large a population compared to 500K 3 rezs and the pool of all S and X owners. Most don't give a when their next update shows up.

Tesla (and Elon) *may* welcome an easy pool of eager testers, who knows. As so many of these things triggered by an Elon tweet, Engineering/QA is either saying 'yay' or 'OMFG'. :rolleyes:o_O

• Funny
Reactions: croman and bmah