Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must say I noticed that 2018.12 has a bit more ping ponging than 10.4. Could have been circumstantial. Will have to wait and see. I can't wait to see the new maps in Canada. Hopefully it will now work smoothly.

Since I travel in Canada, I too, would like to see the new maps of Canada. The need to fill in a bit more of "The Great White North".;)
Especially superchargers!

So, I was one of the original updates of .12 on 3/28 loaded at a SC when my car was towed there as a DOA. When I got it back 3 days later, it was full of issues and I am happy to report that almost all of the issues have self-resolved between then and now.

Be patient and let the system work itself out. The maps are great, the AP is excellent, Stereo sound is crystal clear now (have not tried XM since the last improvement) Phone works both ways (READ: I can hear and be heard), the maps are loading lightning fast and streaming has become reliable. I almost feel like all is as it should be.

oh cr@p, I probably should not have vocalized that my car is now near perfect. I can feel the little gremlins conspiring on what to do to it next.... :)

Last edited:
So, I was one of the original updates of .12 on 3/28 loaded at a SC when my car was towed there as a DOA. When I got it back 3 days later, it was full of issues and I am happy to report that almost all of the issues have self-resolved between then and now.

Be patient and let the system work itself out. The maps are great, the AP is excellent, Stereo sound is crystal clear now (have not tried XM since the last improvement) Phone works both ways (READ: I can hear and be heard), the maps are loading lightning fast and streaming has become reliable. I almost feel like all is as it should be.

oh cr@p, I probably should not have vocalized that my car is now near perfect. I can feel the little gremlins conspiring on what to do to it next.... :)
Doomed, I tell ya, doomed! :D I think we will still be talking maps when 2018.24 comes out, since a lot of us don't have a new release, and a lot of us that do, don't have maps!

• Funny
Reactions: Sandollars
We're still only either 60% of a recent good release (2018.10.4) or 35% of a 'full (2017.50.2 Ho Ho Ho)... so, 2018.12 is looking like it will be the start of the new nav, as Elon actually said, with others not getting it until 2018.14 (whenever, anything after 12 is the nav's base).

It's such a large download, perhaps they are really slow-rolling it!
Don't forget there is a large world outside North America... there appears to be no point rolling out .12 to the rest of us unless we didn't get .10.4 since there is no new navigation for the rest of us yet. As far as I can see there is no real difference between those two releases except for the navigation.

How many days was that since you upgraded to .12 update? Just curious....

Don't remember exactly when I got .12, it was either Monday or Tuesday. So either 3 or 4 days(2 or 3 before it started the download). I'm on a very strong 1Gbps connection. On that point, the fastest I ever saw the download go was 11Mbps and it was more typically around 5-6Mbps. Their upload speed is very slow.

Don't forget there is a large world outside North America... there appears to be no point rolling out .12 to the rest of us unless we didn't get .10.4 since there is no new navigation for the rest of us yet. As far as I can see there is no real difference between those two releases except for the navigation.
That’s a point! It may be a domestic release only, and that may continue until some new fleet-wide feature appears. Hard to say since we don’t know what else if anything is being updated.

Didn’t they also improve MCU performance in this update? I think that’s worth rolling out even if we aren’t getting the new nav for a while.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Didn’t they also improve MCU performance in this update? I think that’s worth rolling out even if we aren’t getting the new nav for a while.
From what I read, the speed ups were for the browser, though there is conflicting information about the rest of the interface from different people. If it's the browser, well then we have the same problem - there is no browser enabled in many parts of the world such as where I am.

Running here with 2018.12 for a few days now on my AP1 Model S, and still rock solid performance of:

• Autopilot (now even more dead center in the lanes versus before, and no more hunting on hill crests! I sooooo love AP1)
• Navigation (new maps are nice, but I tend to use my iPhone for navigation, so no biggie to me)
• Music (sounds great as before, but an FYI that I'm running Light Harmonic speakers, sub, and their delicious amp)

I would say the touchscreen feels just slightly faster with this update (and hardly any difference on browser performance). So from my perspective, either:

a) this isn't the big MCU software update that Elon was alluding to, given it's a small improvement over previous updates

-or-

b) time to start saving for that MCU 2 upgrade

Given Elon's propensity to over-hype things, my bet is on the latter. And I'm not even speculating how *any* of this impacts the browser, as that's an endless fix-it wish.

I hope I'm wrong.

Finally took my March 2018 MS100D 2018.12 with new MCU and Navigation out for a real drive. After 35 miles on the odometer AP became available. It might have been sooner, It was the first time I engaged AP.
I can ex’s-Essex my impressions with one word: WOW!
Night and day compared to my previous car (2017 MS90D 2018.6.1)
AP is silky smoooooth
The 3D perspective zooming on the IC is fantastic. Really gets my attention as I approach a maneuver.
I rarely paid any attention to the IC nav on my 90D. (Farsighted) I found it to be kind of useless with the exception of Freeway exits.
Also noticed lines on adjacent lanes: (is this new?)
6507EE22-69A5-47E2-AB26-8010B197BA36.jpeg

That would be new for an AP2+ car. AP1 has shown adjacent lanes all along, but from everything I've read AP2 didn't unless you were changing lanes - apparently until now.

Do you see cars in those lanes on the IC yet?

Nope, AP2 has done that at least since auto-lane-change was enabled. It shows solid lines just like in that screenshot whenever auto lane change is enabled on the stretch of road you're on. It only shows cars in those lanes when you actually put your blinker on (and it does that whether auto-lane-change is on or not).

I wonder about something. Is there a way to keep the car always on wifi at home so maps can be downloaded, if that is even a factor? Car ofcourse goes on suspend mode at home. When I go to the car in a couple of hours, it isn't connected to wifi....do you guys think this has any bearing...or it will happen when it will happen?

I wonder about something. Is there a way to keep the car always on wifi at home so maps can be downloaded, if that is even a factor? Car ofcourse goes on suspend mode at home. When I go to the car in a couple of hours, it isn't connected to wifi....do you guys think this has any bearing...or it will happen when it will happen?
It should be connected. Do you have Energy Saving on? If the car is plugged in, there’s no reason to try to save a watt or two (IMHO). Try turning that off.

Mine is connected all the time and wifi is always connected. Car wakes up the instant I walk into the garage.

Reactions: MelaniainLA