Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder about something. Is there a way to keep the car always on wifi at home so maps can be downloaded, if that is even a factor? Car ofcourse goes on suspend mode at home. When I go to the car in a couple of hours, it isn't connected to wifi....do you guys think this has any bearing...or it will happen when it will happen?

I had the same issue and asked the service center about it. Maybe it’s important to note that it used to connect and stay connected and that remaining connected to Wi-Fi has only been a problem for me since a few updates ago. Service center recommended I “Forget Network” and connect from scratch. Tried this a couple days ago and it seems to have corrected the issue for me.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
It should be connected. Do you have Energy Saving on? If the car is plugged in, there’s no reason to try to save a watt or two (IMHO). Try turning that off.

Mine is connected all the time and wifi is always connected. Car wakes up the instant I walk into the garage.

Just checked and energy saving is off. I just reset the console and 'forgot' the wifi and reconnected it. Let's see if it helps at all...

I had the same issue and asked the service center about it. Maybe it’s important to note that it used to connect and stay connected and that remaining connected to Wi-Fi has only been a problem for me since a few updates ago. Service center recommended I “Forget Network” and connect from scratch. Tried this a couple days ago and it seems to have corrected the issue for me.

Did that. funny thing is that 'Forget' does not forget the password for my wifi. After doing that, it still remembered the password...strange,

Skipped the 10.4 and went right to the 2018.12 update with the comparison. Ap1 and ap2 are nearly identical at this point. Now if we can just get some of those enhanced features...

The blasphemy!!!! Those are fightin' words on this forum... Beware, you may get kicked off now for saying that!! ;)

As far as I can tell, my Wi-Fi turns off when the car sleeps. When I get into it, it shows LTE. Then after about a minute it shows Wi-Fi is connected. I assume that is normal.

Might be a good idea to stay "Always Connected" or "Energy Savings" off if you want to get updates as soon as possible. My car wakes up every night for scheduled charging, which should at least allow it to check Wi-Fi once a day.

Anyone with 2018.12 release have their car warning them when a vehicle is on the side of the road??

I received the update 5 days ago and today it was finally utilizing new maps, then I got warned 3 times (accurately) “warning, vehicle on shoulder ahead”. Some of the vehicles were close but two others were half mile up the road.

Cool feature for sure.

Anyone with 2018.12 release have their car warning them when a vehicle is on the side of the road??

I received the update 5 days ago and today it was finally utilizing new maps, then I got warned 3 times (accurately) “warning, vehicle on shoulder ahead”. Some of the vehicles were close but two others were half mile up the road.

Cool feature for sure.
That sounds like something Waze would say. . . .

Cool feature for sure.
Mine doesn't warn in the sense that something pops up but it definitely moves over and you can visually see on the display that it "sees" it coming.

Cool feature for sure.

Was that an audio or visual warning?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
@Fasteddie: Heartened by your report and video, I headed out for a small road trip and found myself soon in the wilds of greater/lesser Phoenix, Arizona. Smoother lately, yes. However, in short order, I found 3 cases in which AP2, while improving, is still in no way equivalent to AP1. So I have a request of you at the end of this - but first:

Abrupt, unnecessary braking
Heading down the 60, under an overpass I went (one of many) and sure enough, abrupt braking for no other reason than the AP2 bug that's been with us since inception. Fortunately, the semi behind me was able to lock up briefly, I was able to accelerate quickly (less reaction time), and we all went about our business.

Automatic lane changes
Also found that "automatic" lane changes remained hit or miss - although as we've seen with AP2 over time, they're much less abrupt... more "natural", if you will. Problem is, they're not consistent. At all.

Speed limit sign failures --> TACC limit errors
When the limit changes from 70 or 65 to 55, AP1 would read that sign change and TACC/AS would reduce accordingly. Not the case still with AP2 *still*. Probably a dozen examples in just the first 400 miles of this trip.

As I've previously noted, neither AP1 (if camera blocked by big truck) nor AP2 (database errors aplenty) are perfect for speed limits - but a hybrid of the two approaches (let's call it AP3) would be really good (if camera reads sign then adjust else refer to correct database).

So the requests/questions, since I note you're in a different region: Do you get these speed limit sign errors as much as we do out here (CA/AZ/NV/UT and so forth), and/or the overpass behavior *with this latest version* where you are? In particular, I'm curious about the latter and here's why - the sun out here in the lower latitudes is decidedly bright so there's maximum contrast when heading under some of these light-colored (tan) overpasses. I'm not convinced that the problem is just the object, in other words.

The good news being that for Karpathy, 2 of these 3 remaining challenges (there are more than 3, but taking these for now) are clearly low-hanging fruit and you can't blame him for focusing on larger issues (such as recently mostly resolving the stopped objects far ahead issue). But this phantom braking thing seems as vexing today as when Elon referenced the dusk edge case on the 405 1.5-2 years ago now.

If you're not seeing this as much or at all, then that's good news, meaning that the current radar/cameras should eventually be able to handle it (since AP1 did and with less hardware). On the other hand, if it's happening up there as well... then it sounds like we have to wait and hope for a NN "aha" day.

Anyway, thanks for the video - good stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
@TaoJones the speed limit signs are indeed not yet read by ap2. My test route is pretty accurate with ap2 and I find ap1 messes up here as it actually reads the cross traffic signs which are 25+ miles slower causing abrupt slowdown. No overpass issues here, maybe because the sun hasn’t really been shining and it’s been a mix of rain, snow, and overcast for two weeks now. When I say parity in performance I am really referring to the lane keeping and handling of curves and hills, as I have some crazy ones here in the mountains. Lane changes have been perfect for me, but I don’t change unless there is no traffic nearby. No crazy sudden braking issues yet, but I’ll keep an eye out for them!

I was on i5 freeway heading north out of san Clemente (south Orange County). I received the update approximately 5 days ago but the new icu maps had not been working yet until today.

I turned the nav on just to see if it was working on the icu, it was so I turned the nav off. We were listening to music in the car, the sound went down(similar to how it does when you open your door) and a ladies voice said “warning, vehicle on shoulder ahead”. I couldn’t really understand what she said the first time so I’m not 100% sure if there was a vehicle On the shoulder the first time but I think there was someone broke down.

I don’t have voice on for nav and my son and I were talking so I thought oh... car has a bug or something. Luckily it happened again about 3 minutes later with another car, it was a chp vehicle with someone pulled over, I honestly thought it was a mistake but then it happened again and it was accurate.

Zero warnings popped up on either display, it happened exactly 3 times. On my way home from our trip to the mall no warnings but there wasn’t any chp or people broke down. I can only think they partnered with google/waze on traffic based warnings. Kinda makes sense when you go to app page on screen and it says something like internet based updates or something to that effect.

Anyway its a cool feature and I hope they keep pushing stuff like this out.