Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update 2018.14.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lolly and croman
I installed earlier. It downloaded last night - 4.1 GB of data. Tonight I see it’s downloading an additional 1.8 GB . Wonder what that is...

The download was ~500-600MB for me. You have something else going on.

I’m still on 2017.50.2. I’ve had several failed updates without any clue to why.

I had this too. SC said my car was having issues "staging" the updates. They staged it manually from the SC (their words) and it worked.

• Occasional ‘phantom braking’

For me, the rate of phantom braking started to go up on 2018.10.4 (I don't have any miles on 14.2 yet). They really suck. I can control how closely I follow folks, but cannot control how closely they follow me and when the car randomly brakes - it's very, very dangerous for all.

Last edited:
For me, the rate of phantom braking started to go up on 2018.10.4 (I don't have any miles on 14.2 yet). They really suck. I can control how closely I follow folks, but cannot control how closely they follow me and when the car randomly brakes - it's very, very dangerous for all.

Those that have phantom braking -- are you AP2.5? That has a different radar and its likely the whitelist is not working as well for AP2.5 as compared to previous AP hardware that used the Bosch radar. While the radar in AP2.5 is superior, it probably needs the kind of refinement that took almost 6 months with AP2 (still people have some issues but I've had none since April 2017).

Those that have 2018.14.2 a88808e and have driven with AP -- anything else to add to how this firmware has changed the driving experience with AP? It is helpful to note HW version (e.g. AP1, AP2, AP2.5).

I would think the AP2/2.5 experience would be getting better and better since the NN is continuing to mature but I also know Tesla can introduce regressions and it seems this release is finally going wide to AP2 cars and I would like to know what to expect before installing it (though I do welcome the new nav). AP1 has also been improving, so there is potential helpful information for those owners as well on what to expect with their first drive with the new firmware.

Maybe this is a release where nothing changes or they are subtle but usually, after 6 pages, there is some substantive feedback (AP2.5 fleet almost 1/3 have this).

Found on TeslaFi this morning

Anyone got it? Changelog?

View attachment 294186
I cannot even connect to WiFi in my garage unfortunately. I was able to get the prior download by using my iPad as a hotspot but now whenever I try that, in the morning when I get up and check things, the hotspot WiFi has been dropped. Not sure when it drops off but I am fit to be tied. I have tried extenders and my car just cannot/will not connect so the hotspot does work but not long enough (now) to get an update. PLUS, not only does my car have a hard time connecting to WiFi it also NEVER has a good LTE signal wherever I am. Bottom line, the antennas in my car don't seem to even work...if they DO work, they don't work very well. Frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Those that have phantom braking -- are you AP2.5? That has a different radar and its likely the whitelist is not working as well for AP2.5 as compared to previous AP hardware that used the Bosch radar. While the radar in AP2.5 is superior, it probably needs the kind of refinement that took almost 6 months with AP2 (still people have some issues but I've had none since April 2017).

Those that have 2018.14.2 a88808e and have driven with AP -- anything else to add to how this firmware has changed the driving experience with AP? It is helpful to note HW version (e.g. AP1, AP2, AP2.5).

I would think the AP2/2.5 experience would be getting better and better since the NN is continuing to mature but I also know Tesla can introduce regressions and it seems this release is finally going wide to AP2 cars and I would like to know what to expect before installing it (though I do welcome the new nav). AP1 has also been improving, so there is potential helpful information for those owners as well on what to expect with their first drive with the new firmware.

Maybe this is a release where nothing changes or they are subtle but usually, after 6 pages, there is some substantive feedback (AP2.5 fleet almost 1/3 have this).

Phantom braking, slowing down when engaging AP, collision warning when nothing is there on AP1

14.2 was rolled out to be today (AP2.5) on cellular connection. Not tested it yet.

Perhaps they have done something regarding the AP accident?

I think if it were directly related to that, we would've seen a blog piece from Tesla already, not unlike the 8.0 announced radar enhancements.

Based off the reports relating to phantom braking though, it sure looks like they're trying to flip the switch and turn on radar braking again.

Oddly, this release is still looking biased towards AP1 and AP2.5 but not AP2, which is weird. Perhaps they're tweaking things with Continental radar in AP2.5, but AP1 and AP2 use the same radar.

Yes, notifications via the app on an iPhone. I think I got 3 in ~12 hours. Seemed a bit pushy, to be honest.
I know this is going to sound dumb, but I haven't had a lot of experience with updates (only have had one since I took delivery of my car on Feb. 23rd of this year,) but when I am on the "Notifications "page" on my Tesla app on my phone, I am looking and I do see the caption "Software Update" but am I supposed to "check" it or not? Then what? I did uncheck it for a bit, wondering what that would accomplish and nothing happened so now I have it "checked." So, what happens now and what do I look for? AND is it supposed to be "checked" or not? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but this app doesn't explain what you're supposed to do on this Notifications page. THANK YOU!

Keeping it checked sets the app to notify you when an update is ready to be installed for your vehicle.

If you don’t have it checked, you won’t get a notification on your phone when an update is ready.

No matter what the setting is, the vehicle will still notify you.

has anyone noticed road speed limits are either being read or underlying map data is much improved. I used to be able to drive to work at 9 MPH over speed limit for about 1/2 the way because it didn’t have any or correct speed limits. Now it is limiting me to 5 MPH and correctly displays the speed limit all the way to work. Still need to play with it ?to see if it is really reading speed limit signs or not

I'm still on 2018.12 with no new updates and no new maps yet but yesterday my 2017 model S started recognizing the speed limits correctly. It doesn't seem to need a speed limit sign because I drive a road with no speed limit signs visible but finally the Tesla is showing the correct speed limit. I think it is by GPS because both my other cars and my Garmin always showed the correct speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: DoctorG