Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update 2018.14.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 with AP2 on 90D late 2016. Arrived OTA using WiFi and clocked in at almost 9GB over 2-3 days at roughly 300MB per hour after receiving 2018.14.2. Didn't actually receive a notification about new maps on phone or in car. However after I noticed data stopped I got in car. Both screens had rebooted on entry and it showed the same release notes as for the main update.

Let me know if you want to know anything else and I'll try to help.

Looks like you are the first reported new Nav in the UK :).

MCU = media control unit
At the end of March 2018 they started shipping Model S and X with a new processor, Intel. The same one as in the Model 3. It is much faster in showing things in the center screen than the older MCU1, which was an ARM Nvidia chip.

OTA means Over the Air, it means the software or firmware is sent to the vehicle through 4G or WiFi instead of needing a cable or a visit to the service center.

At the end of March 2018 they started shipping Model S and X with a new processor, Intel. The same one as in the Model 3. It is much faster in showing things in the center screen than the older MCU1, which was an ARM Nvidia chip.

OTA means Over the Air, it means the software or firmware is sent to the vehicle through 4G or WiFi instead of needing a cable or a visit to the service center.

I feel the question is more fundamental... as has been said by some random person... – Don’t use acronyms or nonsense words for objects, software or processes at Tesla. In general, anything that requires an explanation inhibits communication. We don’t want people to have to memorize a glossary just to function at Tesla.

MCU = media control unit ... aka center touch screen, there have been several updates over time hence MCU 1-2, but in reality there was a 0.5 etc
OTA = over the air and stated above
AP2 generally refers to the hardware suite of an autopilot car beyond the ap1's front camera, but doesn't have the processor of an AP2.5 car. It has no reflection on what the car's capabilities are though, just the hardware installed to support various level of autopilot.

Reactions: julez
Looks like you are the first reported new Nav in the UK :).

I hadn't seen any reports of maps in UK to date and I was a little excited when I saw the data creeping up! Small things. Overall, initial impressions were good, instrument cluster view was much clearer and as per other comments on this firmware everything is much smoother on the big screen too. Still need to do a long trip to see if it actually routes better than it did before, paying more attention to traffic and then I can ditch the TomTom subscription which I still find has the best routing and traffic awareness.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
MCU = media control unit

I feel the question is more fundamental... as has been said by some random person... – Don’t use acronyms or nonsense words for objects, software or processes at Tesla. In general, anything that requires an explanation inhibits communication. We don’t want people to have to memorize a glossary just to function at Tesla.

MCU = media control unit ... aka center touch screen, there have been several updates over time hence MCU 1-2, but in reality there was a 0.5 etc
OTA = over the air and stated above
AP2 generally refers to the hardware suite of an autopilot car beyond the ap1's front camera, but doesn't have the processor of an AP2.5 car. It has no reflection on what the car's capabilities are though, just the hardware installed to support various level of autopilot.

Good point! And thanks for clarifying

I’m on 14.2 (AP2 revived 3 days ago) however, haven't received the new IC maps yet almost consistently on WiFi.

Just went outside, opened the door and the MCU is black and the IC rebooted.. didn’t come on for a good 5 minutes.
Needless to say, I slowly backed away like nothing was going on...:rolleyes:

I'm in the UK and received this update 2 days ago. Haven't had a chance to drive it much yet (about 20 miles with no AP used). However, it has been busy downloading over 9GB of data in the background over Wifi with nothing yet to show for it. Has anybody in the UK or Europe had a map update yet?

Nice! I’ve created a map to track the rollout of the new maps and no one has reported them in Europe. Do you mind adding yourself to the map Tesletter - Tesla news curated with love and delivered to your inbox weekly

There is also a thread about it in this forum Tracking the new maps rollout

Nice! I’ve created a map to track the rollout of the new maps and no one has reported them in Europe. Do you mind adding yourself to the map Tesletter - Tesla news curated with love and delivered to your inbox weekly

There is also a thread about it in this forum Tracking the new maps rollout

Thanks. I have add myself to the Teslettter map - great idea. Tried to update my response so the car model description was a bit more accurate but it didn't seem to update. Will also comment in the other thread with more info on how I may have cajoled the car into downloading the maps.

Reactions: chispas
Thanks. I have add myself to the Teslettter map - great idea. Tried to update my response so the car model description was a bit more accurate but it didn't seem to update. Will also comment in the other thread with more info on how I may have cajoled the car into downloading the maps.

Awesome! I’m away from my computer but I will make sure that only your second response shows up - I actually have a little. It if work to do so people can “change” their response once they get the maps.

Looking forward to heard what you did :)

Thanks. I have add myself to the Teslettter map - great idea.

I was going to mention the spate of thefts of Tesla’s in the UK recently (resulting in the passive entry default changing to off in 14.2) but the pin shows your car in a grocery store so hopefully not an accurate location.

I’m not trying to scaremonger but a fair few have been stolen recently, mainly S’s and most by amplification of the fob/car signal.

• Helpful
sigh...

this patch broke my GPS again...

Thats twice now my gps has broke.

Sigh...

Tomorrow im going to be taking a drive to the service center to get it reset like last time.
I think im gonna ask them if its something i can do on my own end.

I was going to mention the spate of thefts of Tesla’s in the UK recently (resulting in the passive entry default changing to off in 14.2) but the pin shows your car in a grocery store so hopefully not an accurate location.

I’m not trying to scaremonger but a fair few have been stolen recently, mainly S’s and most by amplification of the fob/car signal.

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of this and keeping passive entry off for now. Apologies to the owner of the grocery store if they have a Tesla too....

Reactions: DJP31
Here is my experience with the two latest updates, 2018.14 and 2018.14.2 which rolled out very quickly after the first update.

1. After 2018.14 I started getting push notifications on my iPhone Tesla app that my charge cord was not securely fastened. I tried it with both my wife's J1772 with adapter and the included Corded Mobile Connector. Both returned the warning.
2. 2018.14.2 seems to have fixed that erroneous error message
3. One of the two disabled my daytime running lights. Not sure which one.

Most locations provided for the map are cities - the form asks for “city, state / region” so people don’t provide their actual address :) - Google Maps positions those on the map as the “center” of the given location, usually the downtown of the city.

View attachment 295445

Yea. I got this issue suddenly yesterday morning. It was so jarring to drive the whole 50km daily commute without AP. Lol (First world problems :p )

I had the same problem yesterday. The Autopilot refused to function on my way from work. When I got home I called Tesla and they had me reboot the MCU and then shut down and restart the car. That fixed it.

I also mentioned my earlier problems with navigation, and I was told that Tesla is aware of those.

Last edited:
Texas location, 2014 S85 with no autopilot.

April 20, 2018 - 2018.14.2.a88808e was installed in the AM , no maps available at this time.

April 21, 2018 - Maps release notes appeared in the AM:

1. Initially the navigation system would not route and displayed a message that navigation needs service.
2. Rebooted the MCU, error message no longer present, new maps and routing successfully work as reported by other users.
3. No notifications from the moble app for either update.