TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware update 5.6 and 4g at&t?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ProjectMM, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ProjectMM

ProjectMM Member

I love the update! Wifi and map updates are awesome! I just got the dealer to update my car, and was wondering if the 4g antenna was activated? Mine still shows 3g but seems much faster. Thanks for thr help.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Still 3G as far as I can tell. Maybe your local area got some upgraded bandwidth.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Tesla doesn't use dealers!

4. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

My speculation is that one of the newer updates allows storage of map tiles on the HDD, thereby reducing the amount of information streamed to the car and making load times seem "faster".

I read somewhere else on this board that the car simply does not have a LTE antenna, so it can't simply be "turned on" via software. However, I don't think anyone has been able to conclude whether the installed antenna can or cannot support HSPA (4G "lite") definitively.

5. ProjectMM

ProjectMM Member

Dealership = repair facility.

Also to my knowledge AT&T has hspa+ which just needs to be turned on. Not sure if AT&T requires a sim card to acess there LTE network. I deal with Verison for my cell phone service.

BTW: I. Love this car even more after this update. I drove to Vegas on 4.5 and drove home on 5.6. The service was superb, they even took care of a couple TSB while it was there. And got to drive around with a sun roof all day. Loved it!

6. Argelius

Argelius Member

I'm too lazy to go to the service center to demand the update. v5.0 seems like so yesterday...

Any speculation as to when it will be rolled out via a wireless automatic update?

7. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Map Caching!

Aaron

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Uhh...that's how it is being "rolled out" right now and has been for more than a week. It has NOT however, gone to everyone yet. Many are still waiting their turn and many (particularly those who already have it!!) are urging patience.