Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watch one of the software version 7.0 YouTube videos on the initial auto steer release and then go out and drive one of the hardware two cars. This will offer a better perspective on the forum concern. Entirely different experience.

Look at my signature. I own both AP1 and AP2 cars. I can compare them quite well.

So why is your expectation turning out so much better than the expectation that Tesla themselves prominently displayed (parity by end of 2016)? Isn't it weird that a total outsider, based on a single data point from Elon, is better in estimating the timeline? How many outsiders does it take to guess better than Tesla themselves before it's becoming clear that either Tesla is incompetent or didn't believe themselves in hitting the December date? And really, incompetence is not something I associate with Tesla. So, if they didn't believe it themselves, but wrote it anyway on their website, how is that not misleading at the least and possibly (different jurisdictions, different strokes) something that I don't dare to name for now at worst?

Show me where Tesla said parity with AP1 in December because I don't believe they ever said or printed that. They said the first software release for AP2 would be out by December, and it was - barely. The confusion here is between a single release with all features working perfectly, vs an incremental approach spanning months. Could Tesla have been more clear about this? Yes, I concede that. But I don't think they have purposely mislead anyone, at least not with their official remarks or website.

Nice. Any you have no concerns? Just seems as if the initial roll outs of AP1 autosteer (v7.0) and AP2 autosteer (v17.5.32) are world apart.

The initial release of AP2 is behind where AP1 began. That's not particularly surprising, given AP1 was mobileye and they had years of development prior to Tesla choosing them as a supplier. The two platforms also use two very different approaches to the problem. AP2 takes more "on the road" development. Ultimately I think we'll be pleased with the results of AP2, but it will take some time.

They had the 'expected parity with AP1' prominently displayed in the configurator as part of the explanation on EAP up untill halfway January. If you are very patient you may be able to find out with the wayback machine. Otherwise there are numerous screenshots floating on the internet like this one http://i.imgur.com/Kd6Xu3H.png

Do you now at least agree that they explicitly said they expected parity by end of December and not 'first software release'? And if so, how do you re-adjust your last statement given these (new to you) facts?

To recap expected timeline for AP1 parity. Your expectation : half way through 2017 (300 million miles based). Tesla expectation : end of December (based on ?). Why is your estimate slowly turning out better and better while Tesla's is turning out worse and worse?

I looked at the picture/capture you posted and I don't see where it says parity with AP1 by December. Validation != parity.

What does "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car" mean to you? Is English your primary language??

C5I5PqJWQAA8Mj9.jpg

• Love
Reactions: u00mem9
What does "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car" mean to you? Is English your primary language??

C5I5PqJWQAA8Mj9.jpg

Or more importantly, how does is expected to translate in your mind? I don't think it's easy to claim Tesla deceived the customer with this verbiage. It gives Tesla a lot of leeway.

The ONLY way it can be interpreted in a legal case is that the software is basically finished, but is with almost certainly going to COMPLETE validation by December. The only thing holding FSD back is "regulatory approval." Also, in a legal case context is paramount. Take the customer on a test-drive with functional AP, show a FSD video, and sell them something entirely non-functional with one word on a website to be your defense? I don't think so. I'd love for an attorney on this thread to play devil's advocate. It's simply indefensible.

Please note that Tesla didn't write we will START writing AP2 software and provide limited functionality for several months and years, and you should not expect the same experience as the car you test drove in the showroom.

When it comes to consumer protection, the only interpretation that will stand is the most consumer friendly. Sorry Tesla, this won't protect you. You are billion dollar company. You expect me to believe you couldn't have your lawyers write up a single paragraph to have a customer sign prior to purchase which would limit your liability in this? Give me a break, this is fraudulent advertising.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
The ONLY way it can be interpreted in a legal case is that the software is basically finished, but is with almost certainly going to COMPLETE validation by December. . .When it comes to consumer protection, the only interpretation that will stand is the most consumer friendly. Sorry Tesla, this won't protect you. You are billion dollar company. You expect me to believe you couldn't have your lawyers write up a single paragraph to have a customer sign prior to purchase which would limit your liability in this? Give me a break, this is fraudulent advertising.

Then do something about it. You're just venting on a hobby board.

Or more importantly, how does is expected to translate in your mind? I don't think it's easy to claim Tesla deceived the customer with this verbiage. It gives Tesla a lot of leeway.

When a merchant ties their expectation to a date certain in order to sell a feature for their cars and then produces a video to prove that the feature is, in fact, working, it becomes a representation. When the merchant knows or should have known that their expectation was impossible to meet much less deliver on the promised timetable, it becomes a misrepresentation. Simple as that.

And, for the record, Enhanced AutoPilot didn't mean feature parity with AP1. It meant the enhanced feature set presented in Tesla's own video. That was the reason for the regulatory approval language.

Last edited:
...and then produces a video to prove that the feature is, in fact, working...

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a "demo". Something working in a demo means pretty much nothing in terms of it being deliverable. Somebody assuming that because they saw a demo means that will be part of the product they get is at best naive. Tesla never represented anything more than that what they demo'ed is what they would like the vehicle to do, eventually. They quite clearly said that the sensor suite and processor would be capable of that and more.

My AP1 car keeps getting better with every new firmware update. I'm sure the AP2 cars are too. I also expect that in the next couple of months the AP2 cars will leave mine behind and never look back. It's bizarre how so many of the people who are getting to go along on this ride are here whining and complaining that it isn't going fast enough. And you just know that if Tesla hurries things and as a result doesn't get it exactly right they'll whine and complain about that too. Some people just aren't suited to owning this sort of device.

True public idiocy is wasting time arguing a topic with someone and casting aspersions WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN OWN THE CAR! Sorry, I just can't take you seriously anymore in this matter until you at least get an AP2 car. Unbelievable!
He's a stock holder and is motivated to argue against anything that could damage the value of the stock. It's transparent and boring.

• Disagree
Reactions: jldf310 and ABC2D
Loosely transcribed:

"....for a few months HW1 car will be better than HW2...we expect to reach feature parity in December"

"Our goal is a demonstration drive....full autonomy.....car will drive from home in LA to Times Square in NYC....and park itself...without a single touch by end of 2017."

If you are talking about legal claims here, feature parity is not the same as function parity, especially considering the context of admitting that HW1 cars will be better than HW2 for several months.

Reactions: bhzmark
Some people just aren't suited to owning this sort of device.
How many of the 400,000 people who have reserved a 3 are suited for this? I'm sure some will say everything will be ironed out by then, but I'm not convinced all the progress made with the S will translate to the 3. I suspect there will be a smaller percentage of owners willing to put up with this and there will be lots more of them.

If you are talking about legal claims here, feature parity is not the same as function parity, especially considering the context of admitting that HW1 cars will be better than HW2 for several months.
EAP (not parts of EAP) software was expected to complete validation and be rolled out to our cars in December, which was in the window of 2-3 months, which was several months. What context turns this into open-ended eternity or reasonably translates the FSD video, tweets/comments from CEO, and/or purchase agreement into "parts of EAP will be rolled out in increments spread over 4 months beginning with 1000 cars right before the end of Q4?"

It's super great that the fanboys will say "thank you, sir, can I have another." No one is arguing about their joy from that.

Reactions: croman