Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17.7.2 is the first release where I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. On well-marked (on one-side only) secondary roads, AP2 worked fairly well. It even made it through a number of unmarked intersections without difficulty. Traffic circles are a real problem, however. Probably don't have those in California as best I recall. In three attempts, I think the car would have gone up and over the traffic circle every time... without slowing down. But we're making major progress. Congrats to Elon & Team.

AP1 doesn't understand traffic circles either.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing and NerdUno
If actual data comes out showing AP2 is less safe than an average driver, I will happily admit I was wrong. I think the chances of that happening are extremely low based on Tesla's track record and the careful roll-out of AP2.

If it comes out the other way -- which I think it almost certainly will -- I will be interested to see whether you or the others claiming AP2 is unsafe will acknowledge that you were wrong. My bet is that is a big "NO" but would be happy to be proven wrong.

using those tainted spectacles can you tell us how exactly safe this video was?

Someone should do a side-by-side comparison of an AP1-car vs an AP2-car on the same road, with the same speed and under the same weather and lighting conditions.

@DÆrik ?

Unfortunately I no longer have my AP 1.0 car. I sold it because my 100D with AP 2.0 should be here soon. However when David received his AP 2.0 car I did do a side-by-side on the same road (I was following him in my AP 1.0 car). However that was before anything was released for AP.

I do know a lot of other Tesla owners in Colorado with AP 1.0. I will see what I can do getting a current side-by-side video done. :)

Here is a link to that video:

Thanks Erik

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
I'm baffled Tesla chose to enable local road usage. 1) everyone is waiting on highway usage at adult speeds. And 2) it doesn't f'n work.

I could maybe understand if they had it working well and this could placate the owners waiting, but this seems like it's just going to further frustrate owners while showing that Tesla ISN'T actually being ultra cautious to release only safe functionality. (Which was previously their best excuse)

As usual, total head scratcher...

using those tainted spectacles can you tell us how exactly safe this video was?

After AP1 came out and continuing to a lesser extent through today, there have been numerous TMC posts with videos or reports describing what sounded like alarming and "unsafe" behavior. This includes AP1 allegedly driving cars into ditches, crossing double yellow lines, crossing lane lines, abruptly stopping next to or not recognizing parked cars, attempting to drive into trucks, not recognizing cars stopped in the road in front of them, causing drivers to become distracted and not pay attention to the road, and on and on and on. Given the constant clamor about how dangerous AP1 supposedly was, I think many people were very surprised to learn that when the data was in, the NHTSA found that activating AP1 actually reduced serious accidents by 40%.

The NHTSA report suggests that posts on TMC and other social media (including video in many cases) showing or describing apparently "unsafe" behavior were not only wrong, but got it completely backward. Cars with AP1 -- warts and all -- appear to be far safer than those without. And if the data holds up, AP1-enabled cars are not only safer, but with a massive improvement that is potentially unmatched in the history of automotive safety, except possibly by the seat belt. And AP1 continues to learn and improve and will undoubtedly only get safer.

So before jumping to the conclusion that AP2 is unsafe based on similar anecdotal reports/videos, I think it is worth taking a step back to consider why the anecdotal reports on how dangerous AP1 supposedly was were so misleading. The answer is that anecdotal reports are not data, and they are subject to all sorts of biases that skew the data, especially toward dramatic events that make a compelling story. There are numerous other kinds of biases at play as well.

The video you posted is a good example. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is not your video -- it is something you found on the internet. I also saw you post it on reddit, and perhaps you also posted it on other social media. Those posts will tend to heighten awareness of this example where AP2 did not perform well, and will tend to skew perceptions about AP2.

You chose not to post video or reports of AP2 doing well, of which there are many on TMC and elsewhere. I am not criticizing you for posting it, but just pointing out that this is an example of what happened with AP1, and explains why so many people who relied on anecdotal evidence incorrectly assessed AP1 safety. From this video and others I have seen, AP2 (like AP1) appears to do better on well marked roads that do not have sharp curves. Like AP1, it has learning to do with intersections because there are no lane lines. But that does not mean it is unsafe -- just as AP1's limitations do not make it unsafe.

Tesla has just recently released AP2 autosteer for use on surface roads limited to a relatively low speed (35 mph) with the driver instructed to keep hands on wheel and maintain responsibility for safe operation of the vehicle. There have been many reports of AP2 working well on well-marked and on some poorly marked surface streets. There have been some examples (like the one you posted), where this is clearly room for improvement, but the driver remains in control of the vehicle and can take over when necessary.

Bottom line: I don't think you have any basis for claiming AP2 is "unsafe" based on the video and anecdotal data. If history is any guide, Tesla's own assessment of the data is a more reliable guide than anecdotal reports/videos like the one you posted.

Edit: what @Vitold said.

Last edited:
Here we go again :)
@EinSV - I don't really care about numbers(I already proved that the results in the report are expected no matter what the car is if they have a decent collision avoidance system), I care about my personal life and not getting into an accident.
I don't consider a system safe when at some overpasses or some other metal structures that "bend" over the highway, I have to pay attention if someone is behind me.

Just the other day I enabled TACC (just for fun, and because the highway was almost empty) and just before a traffic camera/radar or something, the car decelerated from 75mph to 45mph and back to 75mph. I was kind of expecting it but it happened so fast that I did not have time to react, by the time I wanted to do something the car was accelerating again.

I'm writing this because I want new owners to be aware and consider the system unsafe, for now. You can always control where the car goes but you cannot always control when the car stops.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno and Helmuth
AP1 will maneuver this stretch with ease perfectly centered at 35 MPH

Precisely.

After AP1 came out and continuing to a lesser extent through today, there have been numerous TMC posts with videos or reports describing what sounded like alarming and "unsafe" behavior. This includes AP1 allegedly driving cars into ditches, crossing double yellow lines, crossing lane lines, abruptly stopping next to or not recognizing parked cars, attempting to drive into trucks, not recognizing cars stopped in the road in front of them, causing drivers to become distracted and not pay attention to the road, and on and on and on. Given the constant clamor about how dangerous AP1 supposedly was, I think many people were very surprised to learn that when the data was in, the NHTSA found that activating AP1 actually reduced serious accidents by 40%.

The NHTSA report suggests that posts on TMC and other social media (including video in many cases) showing or describing apparently "unsafe" behavior were not only wrong, but got it completely backward. Cars with AP1 -- warts and all -- appear to be far safer than those without. And if the data holds up, AP1-enabled cars are not only safer, but with a massive improvement that is potentially unmatched in the history of automotive safety, except possibly by the seat belt. And AP1 continues to learn and improve and will undoubtedly only get safer.

So before jumping to the conclusion that AP2 is unsafe based on similar anecdotal reports/videos, I think it is worth taking a step back to consider why the anecdotal reports on how dangerous AP1 supposedly was were so misleading. The answer is that anecdotal reports are not data, and they are subject to all sorts of biases that skew the data, especially toward dramatic events that make a compelling story. There are numerous other kinds of biases at play as well.

The video you posted is a good example. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is not your video -- it is something you found on the internet. I also saw you post it on reddit, and perhaps you also posted it on other social media. Those posts will tend to heighten awareness of this example where AP2 did not perform well, and will tend to skew perceptions about AP2.

You chose not to post video or reports of AP2 doing well, of which there are many on TMC and elsewhere. I am not criticizing you for posting it, but just pointing out that this is an example of what happened with AP1, and explains why so many people who relied on anecdotal evidence incorrectly assessed AP1 safety. From this video and others I have seen, AP2 (like AP1) appears to do better on well marked roads that do not have sharp curves. Like AP1, it has learning to do with intersections because there are no lane lines. But that does not mean it is unsafe -- just as AP1's limitations do not make it unsafe.

Tesla has just recently released AP2 autosteer for use on surface roads limited to a relatively low speed (35 mph) with the driver instructed to keep hands on wheel and maintain responsibility for safe operation of the vehicle. There have been many reports of AP2 working well on well-marked and on some poorly marked surface streets. There have been some examples (like the one you posted), where this is clearly room for improvement, but the driver remains in control of the vehicle and can take over when necessary.

Bottom line: I don't think you have any basis for claiming AP2 is "unsafe" based on the video and anecdotal data. If history is any guide, Tesla's own assessment of the data is a more reliable guide than anecdotal reports/videos like the one you posted.

Edit: what @Vitold said.

The data that you posted simply tells us about the effectiveness of forward collision avoidance which every manufacturer has and is required by law.

Doesn't say anything about AP1 driving behavior or lack of thereof. The things people pointed out are valid. They are even listed in tesla warnings, things like the car may not stop for stopped cars.
There have been dozens of accident reported where the car doesn't brake for the car in front of it.

These things aren't anecdotal. They are facts. The stats you posted have nothing to do with it.
It has nothing to do with the fact that autopilot 1 can drive you flawlessly on the freeway for 100 miles straight and afterwards has a hiccup and drive off and hit a guard rail.

These are facts and these are facts that tesla acknowledge and these are facts that would have prevented that autopilot tragedy.

You are not supposed to engage Ap2 where bicycles could be present.

It seems you are arguing with yourself since at this point no one has claimed that AP2 has achieved parity with AP1.

The bike lane had nothing to do with it.

How is it that you do not understand? When AP1 first arrived (7.0) these situations were a piece of cake. Surface road was easy pickings for AP1. Now you need to take over every 10 seconds or you're dead. The point isn't that ap2 hasn't reached parity with ap1. Its that 17.7.2 for surface roads is dangerous. that's literally from every 17.7.2 video I have seen.

Again Ap2 is good on highway/freeway. No one is denying that. but its beyond dangerous on most surface roads.

Reactions: u00mem9