Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If in fact AP2 at least equivalent to AP1 will not be delivered by end of March 2017, I will have officially reached my limit....

I'm sure that if you let Tesla know that you are "officially" PO'ed, they'll quake in their corporate boots, apologize, and go forth and never sin again. You should exercise your vast power.

You don't seem to have figured out anything since you first started posting and complaining.

I'm seeing a lot of kids who are throwing tantrums because they are too impatient. Tesla is a tech company that, alike all other tech companies, have shown us a glimpse into it's future software potential if we buy it's new hardware now. The only difference is that they are extremely careful as to what they are releasing since your LIVES depend on it. Just relax and before you know it, they will gradually deliver. If you're unhappy with having to wait longer than your "ETA'd date, then sell your cars and try auto pilot on another vehicle.

Pushing beta autopilot is considered careful? That's a new one.

you don't think google or mbz could push the envelope and release something now?

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D and davidc18
I think it's amusing talking about fraud!

I knew and expected when we order our Model X (December 6th) that there will be NO functioning AP when we get our car! I knew self driving is probably 2 years or more away! And I expect EAP to work satisfying in a few months...
We took delivery January 16th and I loved it from day one! Without any outstanding features!
We paid for both AP features to support the development of the autonomous features over the next months and years!
And I knew I'll be a beta tester for a very long time. And I didn't expect the EAP to work from day one after they enabled it.
Nobody at our SC promised me a working AP anytime soon, they all told me it might take months...
I totally agree that Teslas communication sucks! And they shouldn't promise features they don't deliver! That's a huge problem.
But I also remember the days many owners craved for AP being enabled on surface streets ASAP. And now the same people are complaining about it.
If you don't like the car without the features just give it back! Nobody forces an owner to keep the car!
But I'm sure we'll ALL love our cars - in a few months!
I like both TACC and the current, limited AP. Even with one or two sudden breaks a day! I realized (at least with our Model X) the breaks feel pretty hard, even though it never decelerated more the 5 mph!!!
Let's see what we are getting over the next few weeks...

BTW I remember the days a huge company unveiled a expensive smartphone (10 years ago) which didn't have copy and paste and misses other common features, too...

Pushing beta autopilot is considered careful? That's a new one.

you don't think google or mbz could push the envelope and release something now?
People are choosing to buy a Tesla, They are choosing to use AP even though it clearly states it is at their own risk. It clearly states on their website that AP has begun rolling out and that features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed.

I'm sure that if you let Tesla know that you are "officially" PO'ed, they'll quake in their corporate boots, apologize, and go forth and never sin again. You should exercise your vast power.

You don't seem to have figured out anything since you first started posting and complaining.

I'm not sure what to make of your post. I have figured out that you are willing to defend Tesla, even if they committed fraud, because of your financial conflict of interest. Unlike you, I try to be objective and see things for what they really are. Some free advice to you, is to not be so bullish on TSLA, since things could get ugly in the next few months if Tesla doesn't figure out how to make AP2 work.

I know Google couldn't push anything now because they don't sell cars to consumers.

I would bet you that if MBZ had anything even remotely as capable as AP1 that they would have it pushed out by now. Since they haven't pushed it out, they don't have it. The Model S is eating MBZ's lunch versus the S-Class, which is why if MBZ had the functionality, they would deploy it.

2014 - 2015 - 2016
Model S: 16,689 - 25,202 - 29,890
S-Class: 25,276 - 21,934 - 18,803

RT

I know Google couldn't push anything now because they don't sell cars to consumers.

I would bet you that if MBZ had anything even remotely as capable as AP1 that they would have it pushed out by now. Since they haven't pushed it out, they don't have it. The Model S is eating MBZ's lunch versus the S-Class, which is why if MBZ had the functionality, they would deploy it.

2014 - 2015 - 2016
Model S: 16,689 - 25,202 - 29,890
S-Class: 25,276 - 21,934 - 18,803

RT

You do know that Mercedes does have something called Drive Pilot right? Its TACC + Autosteer.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and davidc18
Cut Tesla some slack - they were not deceiving anyone.

I knew and expected when we order our Model X (December 6th) that there will be NO functioning AP when we get our car! I knew self driving is probably 2 years or more away! And I expect EAP to work satisfying in a few months...
We took delivery January 16th and I loved it from day one! Without any outstanding features!
We paid for both AP features to support the development of the autonomous features over the next months and years!
And I knew I'll be a beta tester for a very long time. And I didn't expect the EAP to work from day one after they enabled it.
Nobody at our SC promised me a working AP anytime soon, they all told me it might take months...
I totally agree that Teslas communication sucks! And they shouldn't promise features they don't deliver! That's a huge problem.
But I also remember the days many owners craved for AP being enabled on surface streets ASAP. And now the same people are complaining about it.
If you don't like the car without the features just give it back! Nobody forces an owner to keep the car!
I like both TACC and the current, limited AP. Even with one or two sudden breaks a day! I realized (at least with our Model X) the breaks feel pretty hard, even though it never decelerated more the 5 mph!!!

BTW I remember the days a huge company unveiled a expensive smartphone (10 years ago) which didn't have copy and paste and misses other common features, too...
That reads like a tweet-storm. #notacompliment

Maybe my favorite part, though:
And they shouldn't promise features they don't deliver! That's a huge problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: schonelucht

Hallelujah brother!

People are choosing to buy a Tesla, They are choosing to use AP even though it clearly states it is at their own risk. It clearly states on their website that AP has begun rolling out and that features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed.

Great. Thank you.

Now tell me how that's being careful vs spending $ on R and D and coming out with a better product vs selling this and benefiting off us x2 ways?

You could make the argument that they can get to their goal faster this way, hence potentially saving more lives faster. BUT you didn't so not sure your point.

Now tell me how that's being careful vs spending $ on R and D and coming out with a better product vs selling this and benefiting off us x2 ways?

You could make the argument that they can get to their goal faster this way, hence potentially saving more lives faster. BUT you didn't so not sure your point.

What makes anybody think they aren't going as fast as they prudently can? They're only going at least twice as fast as anybody else. It seems to me the only problem is that they can't quite match Elon's optimism. Perhaps that's a crime? Perhaps you would rather they take it slow like everybody else?

Most of the complaining I see would be valid only if Tesla was pretty much full of stupid and incompetent people. If you think that's the case, you really shouldn't be buying their cars and trusting them with your life.

Usually it's not. But misrepresentation IS always a great way to lose money in a civil suit.

Nobody ever misrepresented anything in writing. And anybody who believes anything a car salesman says is just stupid. I don't believe anybody will ever get anywhere in court claiming that Tesla's showroom people aren't salesman and so what they say means something significant legally. Seriously, what do you think you are claiming here?

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
Nobody ever misrepresented anything in writing. And anybody who believes anything a car salesman says is just stupid. I don't believe anybody will ever get anywhere in court claiming that Tesla's showroom people aren't salesman and so what they say means something significant legally. Seriously, what do you think you are claiming here?
Does EM a twitter count as writing or no?

Reactions: ABC2D
One thing people need to realize is the car needs multiple kinds of fleet data to improve.

Fleet data is largely why Tesla has the best lane steering + adaptive cruise control system on the market today. No one else has anything close to what AP1 has despite having similar hardware. They were the first ones to start actively collecting large amounts of fleet data with AP1.

Your only comparison is with AP1, and if you coming to the conclusion that it's worse than you're probably a little bit right. But, don't for a second think that AP1 performed all that great. It's mostly like comparing the driving of a 5 year old versus a 6 year old. It might be a little better, but you're still all over the place on some roads/situations.

What is different is the potential that exist with AP2.

With AP1 it was grown till diminishing returns for the effort made to improve it.

With AP2 there is so much potential. At each iteration you'll see it vastly improving.

Yeah, it's probably frustrating to be driving what's essentially alphaware. But, it's not like regular software that can be written. It's mostly a trained system on MASSIVE amounts of data.

Guess who provides Tesla with that data? You.

There wouldn't be data without you.

I do wish Tesla was more transparent with this fleet data. Where they told you if they had fleet data for the road you're on or not, and then also had in car app for it showing you the data.

As to the FSD video it was absolutely misleading. They had a ridiculous number of driver take overs that were required to create those videos. Their blooper real would be orders of magnitudes longer than the videos.

When it comes down to it AP2 is the only semi-autonomous capable system you can buy today, but SW wise it's nowhere close to semi-autonomous where you can drive down the road without touching the steering wheel.

Does EM a twitter count as writing or no?
If you think that Elon's tweets have any legal standing as to what Tesla will deliver to you, I suggest you look up the phrase caveat emptor. You'll also note that Elon tends to fulfill his promises, so long as time is flexible. So somewhere you'll have to find the words "time is of the essence" to make anything enforceable. People should read their contracts and stop whining. Enjoy what you've got, and be happy that unlike every other manufacturer's cars in the world, yours will keep getting better and better.

Anyone who believes that the above is a sound legal defense is just stupid.

I can't relate at all to most of this thread (and so many others). I am perfectly satisfied with my purchase, I loved my car from day 1 (even with no AP features enabled), I love TACC, I am excited to get autosteer for my regular driving soon, and I am excited for it's abilities to improve iteratively. Since my opinions seem to be unique, I really don't have any use for TMC except to occasionally get a feel for updates I have not yet received. I just wanted to throw that out there before I disappear. Also, don't wreck Tesla's trajectory with all your complaining! And as my final thought on the subject: don't be so melodramatic that you spread your baseless speculation that Tesla is not capable and the hardware is not capable and self-driving is not possible without intelligent infrastructure.

This. Totally agree. I love and use TACC and Autosteer daily and it works great. I have already driven 1000 miles on TACC, with a 800 mile round trip from Bay Area to San Diego and back. Autosteer on stop and go traffic back from work has reduced commute stress significantly for me. Since I bought my car in December I have received 4-5 software updates that improved various aspects of the car. I owned a BMW prior to my Tesla for 5 years and didn't receive any software update.