Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. Totally agree. I love and use TACC and Autosteer daily and it works great. I have already driven 1000 miles on TACC, with a 800 mile round trip from Bay Area to San Diego and back. Autosteer on stop and go traffic back from work has reduced commute stress significantly for me. Since I bought my car in December I have received 4-5 software updates that improved various aspects of the car. I owned a BMW prior to my Tesla for 5 years and didn't receive any software update.
I've also owned other cars like BMW and Mercedes before Tesla. While they didn't receive any software update, most things worked out of the box and no new bugs get introduced. Can't say the same with my Tesla in that aspect.

Reactions: krazineurons
Great. Thank you.

Now tell me how that's being careful vs spending $ on R and D and coming out with a better product vs selling this and benefiting off us x2 ways?

You could make the argument that they can get to their goal faster this way, hence potentially saving more lives faster. BUT you didn't so not sure your point.
so what's your involvement? do you or did you work for Tesla? Do you own one?

I can't relate at all to most of this thread (and so many others). I am perfectly satisfied with my purchase, I loved my car from day 1 (even with no AP features enabled), I love TACC, I am excited to get autosteer for my regular driving soon, and I am excited for it's abilities to improve iteratively. Since my opinions seem to be unique, I really don't have any use for TMC except to occasionally get a feel for updates I have not yet received. I just wanted to throw that out there before I disappear. Also, don't wreck Tesla's trajectory with all your complaining! And as my final thought on the subject: don't be so melodramatic that you spread your baseless speculation that Tesla is not capable and the hardware is not capable and self-driving is not possible without intelligent infrastructure.
I agree 100% with all of this. I have a HW2 car and had some experience with it today - and I shared some feedback directly with Tesla about some edge cases I encountered. These threads make me not want to talk about the experience - everyone is so critical of Tesla for a feature they clearly say is beta.

I turned on AP and TACC - I watched it like a hawk. I knew it was beta and treated it as such. I knew it would be this way when I bought the car. I chose to be a part of the future to help Tesla collect the data and feedback it needs.

Without going into excruciating detail - a few tips from my experience with FW 17.5.28.

1. With TACC - be careful. The car can sometimes brake very briefly (detected a pending collision) when there is a sign overhead and mistake it for a car. Breaking was very brief but if someone is following you closely, turn it off. In my case the sun was facing the car directly so that didn't help I am sure.
2. Currently seeing trouble with rapidly varying contrast situations (shadows from branches, trees, etc). If you see the autopilot light flicker on and off - it is unsure where the lanes are. Don't turn it on unless you get a solid autopilot indicator - I saw it veer to the right to go into the next lane many times in this situation. In normal lighting - no issues.
3. Be weary of using it in the far right lane on an interstate highway - I have seen some issues when going past an exit - it tries to find the right side of the lane and veers to the right. Best in a middle lane with clear markers.

The software clearly states to be cautions - be aware, note the exit of the highway you are on if you see issues and call Tesla with the details (including the time as well).

Oh - and I paid for the FSD upgrade. Is it a kickstarter? Maybe. Happy to make my contribution to a better future. Hope we get there fast.

First, let me start of by saying, I work in technology. As a Cloud Architect, I am heavily involved and very familiar with rapid software development, software development practices etc. I only say this to frame that I would say I am more tolerant than most with this AP2 process. One of the reasons I went with Tesla (first time owner, Dec/2016) was AP2. I fully knew AP2 was not complete, I knew there would be some issues, especially with Tesla ditching the Mobile Eye system and developing their own. I knew it would not be as smooth as the Sales Rep advised me it would be. I was actually excited to be a part of the process. Seeing the car grow and mature into an "autonomous" vehicle, really the first of it's kind, was very exciting prospect. And I knew buying it, that despite what Elon says, the car will never be Level 5 autonomous. I am, or at least was, expecting between level 3-4 autonomy, the car could take drive almost all freeways, exit, drive streets, stop signs etc. I would have to take over in parking lots, etc...Now, i don't even see that happening, at least not any time soon. I fully regret buying FSD. I think AP2 is/will be a worthy investment, they will eventually get there, but i just don't see anything beyond a fully functional and mostly reliable AP2. I just don't understand where the disconnect is between what they showed us in the FSD videos and what we have now. Totally understand that is internal code they are using, but they were showing street driving at 35 mph and it's like not even the basic code logic is being used in what we have. Autosteer AP code is not totally unqiue compared to FSD code. Yes the FSD code will take into account MANY more things, but the base of the code should be the same. We have nothing even close to what they have shown based on my experience below.

Was very excited today to get Firmware (17.5.36).... until I tested it.

imagine you go to the bar, you had 6 double shots, and threw back 5 or 6 beers. Then you decide to be an idiot and drive. That's how the car drives with "Local road driving" AP2. It's basically not usable.

Observations

1. Going through an intersection.. Yeah.. don't do that... Car stars to veer right heavily trying to find a right lane marker

2. Streets with right exit lanes...Yeah... don't do that... It will start to take that right turn lane then suddenly jerk back over into the lane you were in.

3. Road with a smooth 90 turn ahead? Yeah... don't do that... car won't decelerate or even take the turn... it sure does try though.

4. Next to a marked bike lane? Yeah... don't do that... seems to swerve into them.

5. General lane keeps overall just unpredictable

I'd be fine if the update read this way (which it should)

"Autosteer while on Local Roads, only use in this condition:

1. You are in the center lane. Left lanes with left turn lanes and right lanes with right turn lanes do not work.
2. The road has no major curves or turns

Generally Autosteer will only work going straight in a clearly marked center lane."

Something to that effect.

I hope Elon proves me wrong. He has in the past. I just don't see it.
My experience exactly. Stop signs and red lights should have been code subroutine 1. Tracking the road 2. Changing lanes 3...

everyone is so critical of Tesla for a feature they clearly say is beta.

Does beta really mean anything if it's perpetual beta?

From your list

#1 - Absolutely unacceptable. What are you going to paint a big BETA around every side of your car to let all the other drivers know you're in beta.

#2 - Part of a lane-steering system and that's why it's a level 2 system. Whether a system is labeled as beta or not.

#3 - This issue also occurred with the initial AP rollout with AP1 way back in firmware 7. It's mildly amusing that it exist with the AP 2.0 rollout. The turnover has to be pretty high for Tesla to completely forget about it.

I guess I'm a mix of understanding, but where I'd chew the hell out of whoever decided to release it in it's current state.

I've also owned other cars like BMW and Mercedes before Tesla. While they didn't receive any software update, most things worked out of the box and no new bugs get introduced. Can't say the same with my Tesla in that aspect.

Tesla has to be really annoying to compete with since Tesla can sell something before it's even finished. Where it's out the door a good 6 months before the SW is really even at an acceptable level to be considered functional let alone refined.

If a car buyer wants some next generation feature like semi-autonomous driving the other manufactures won't have anything for at least a couple years or so.

If you simply desire a reasonably okay adaptive cruise control along with automatic emergency braking there are choices that that work fairly well from MB, Volvo. But, you have to be pretty careful since not all systems are even close. Like supposedly Range Rover doesn't have a very good adaptive cruise control system. My moms Subaru has a decent, but not great adaptive cruise control system with the eyesight system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deans
The point is that no legal defense will ever be necessary because nobody would be idiotic enough to think they have a case and take it to court. It's just lots of bluster. Go ahead, point me at any successful court case in the least bit similar to what is being described here.

Well. There is at least one case where Tesla paid out a class of customers because the car was not capable of what was advertised (and this was after millions of posts on here how it was never advertised that way and that Tesla meant something different). The only reason your point still stands is due to a technicality : Tesla made a settlement before it went to a court after lower arbitration found against the company (twice if I recall but I may be wrong on that).

Reactions: ABC2D
Does beta really mean anything if it's perpetual beta?

From your list

#1 - Absolutely unacceptable. What are you going to paint a big BETA around every side of your car to let all the other drivers know you're in beta.

#2 - Part of a lane-steering system and that's why it's a level 2 system. Whether a system is labeled as beta or not.

#3 - This issue also occurred with the initial AP rollout with AP1 way back in firmware 7. It's mildly amusing that it exist with the AP 2.0 rollout. The turnover has to be pretty high for Tesla to completely forget about it.

I guess I'm a mix of understanding, but where I'd chew the hell out of whoever decided to release it in it's current state.
Why would you say perpetual beta? It has only been a few weeks since the main rollout started.

When you enable auto steer it even has a big disclaimer you need to accept - I assume that goes away in a few months when it is more stable.

On one of your points - I want to be fair though, the TACC doesn't have a disclaimer so #1 does concern me the most, but for auto steer it clearly lets you know what you are getting into. Also worth noting it basically slowed me from 70 to 60 - unless someone was following me very closely it would be fine. Wanted to just let folks know to be careful out there if you had someone close behind you - it just tapped on the breaks unexpectedly under a sign.

I expect all of these kinks to be gone in the next few months - if it goes beyond that... well, then I will be disappointed. But right now, with a few weeks under their belt? Yeah, I will let it slide and provide feedback as requested.

I couldn't agree more! Was hoping they would have released functional highway speed AP before giving us half baked versions of both.

The challenge is that without releasing it you don't collect as much performance data. And so the improvements would go much more slowly. In a very real way, the system is learning to drive and you can't learn to drive without driving. This is, in large part, why other manufacturers are well behind Tesla. They don't have the communications infrastructure to tune the system on live consumer cars. And so they ship using systems trained on a relatively small data set.

Tesla is going about this the right way. It may be chaotic and imperfect, but that's the best way to get there right now.

Has anyone else noticed a tendency towards hyperbole on this site? Maybe it's just my perception. ;)

I'll admit I had to do an "expectation adjustment", but I'd still never drive anything else. FSD might be a kickstarter project, but I'm still looking forward to what may come.

I'll most likely be taking the beach road again today, just to experience a car that can drive itself under certain circumstances. I expect those circumstances will continue to grow in number, but I don't expect to be relieved of my duty to supervise the car's actions. I'm ok with being a backseat driver - especially since the computer doesn't get annoyed at me like my wife does when I tell her to quit tailgating.

Here's to the next update, may our speeds continue to increase.

That's pretty much AP1 behavior, it would work well in any lane but only on straight or slightly curvy lanes.

Anytime you are at a stop sign and no lead car in front, disengage AP and reengage after crossing it.

At an intersection with traffic light, disengage AP if you are the front most car.

Approaching a turn, disengage AP and take the turn yourself including the acceleration.

I guess Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot by showing off hyper capabilities of AP2 (over promising) and delivering updates so slowly (underdeliver), that as each day passes and AP2 doesn't get better, it only worries me if Tesla sold something to people that they wouldn't be able to deliver in the committed time frames, or perhaps never. I am in the software world too and I tend to agree with other folks here, even if you are on a private code branch the codebase has to be similar somewhere!

Cogent. Great response- particularly around the overpromise / underdeliver piece. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: krazineurons
We are most certainly not in the beta test phase. A beta test implies the software is mostly done and we are working out a few minor glitches.

Definition of Beta test:

"Second level, external pilot-test of a product (usually a software) before commercial quantity production. At the beta test stage, the product has already passed through the first-level, internal pilot-test (alpha test) and glaring defects have been removed. But (since the product may still have some minor problems that require user participation) it is released to selected customers for testing under normal, everyday conditions of use to spot the remaining flaws."

Read more: What is beta test? definition and meaning

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
We are most certainly not in the beta test phase. A beta test implies the software is mostly done and we are working out a few minor glitches.

Definition of Beta test:

"Second level, external pilot-test of a product (usually a software) before commercial quantity production. At the beta test stage, the product has already passed through the first-level, internal pilot-test (alpha test) and glaring defects have been removed. But (since the product may still have some minor problems that require user participation) it is released to selected customers for testing under normal, everyday conditions of use to spot the remaining flaws."

Read more: What is beta test? definition and meaning

I don't think this definition works for an agile work flow.

• Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS