Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update cadence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a good run there but it's an all hands on deck event for the S/X refresh and the big V9 push so all the piddly little stuff we were getting got put on hold. I'm sure we'll get something soon. There's a "next quarter" joke in there somewhere but I don't want to get downvoted into oblivion...

Reactions: APotatoGod
It looks as though the days of regular updates are over. I'm not sure if I am saddened or relieved by this?

I strongly doubt this. I think there’s a “Big Bang” coming with the S/X release and the FSD updates.

Bear in mind that - for FSDv9, the underlying Autopilot code is going through a major rewrite, basically removing radar data from the mix. Will be all vision based. This is a big change.

So I suspect we’re in a lull right now, not an end by any means. In fact, once the “Big Bang” happens — I’m guessing we’re going to see software updates fast and freakin’ furious.

It's a lull, but with two known huge updates coming (UI update, FSD update) we are likely to see a rapid escalation in patches once those roll out in addition to incomplete features that will roll out with the UI after the initial release.

My biggest concern will be quality. Incremental releases allow you to keep risk of severe impact very low as you make small changes and use your public fleet to test for you. As the backlog of code builds up, the size of that release is getting larger meaning the level of QA needed is much much higher and the expectation of missed items is only going to be that much higher.

It will stabilize, but I expect we'll see a boat load of patches in the days after one or both of those updates getting released.

We had a good run there but it's an all hands on deck event for the S/X refresh and the big V9 push so all the piddly little stuff we were getting got put on hold. I'm sure we'll get something soon. There's a "next quarter" joke in there somewhere but I don't want to get downvoted into oblivion...
Three months, maybe. Six months, definitely. :D

I'm still getting an average of two weeks between updates, with the previous one 2021.4.15 a month ago.
As of 5/16/2021 its 2021.4.18

Image 5-16-21 at 1.48 AM.jpeg

I'm still getting an average of two weeks between updates, with the previous one 2021.4.15 a month ago.
As of 5/16/2021 its 2021.4.18

View attachment 662753

Ah, but there have been no major (or arguably even minor) revisions — just patches. 2021.4.x releases were branched from the trunk revision in the week of January 25–31, and lots of other vehicles are getting 2020.48.37.x, which branched in the week of Nov. 23–29.

So as of tomorrow, Tesla vehicles are either 15–16 weeks or 24–25 weeks behind HEAD. That's anywhere from a third of a year to half a year.

Yes, that's a really long time to get nothing but the most critical bug fixes back-ported from the trunk. They must have massively diverged for it to be taking this long to get a shippable build. Whether that's good or not remains to be seen. :)

I would love to know what their testing with all the different versions. I just installed 2021.4.18. It seems this may be destined for the next mass upgrade from 4.15. 4.15.10 has a lot of pending installs though.

View attachment 663123

Well, my 3 got 2021.4.15.10 pushed today, and the X got 2021.4.18. Within a few hours of each other. Both configs have FSD AP3. So there’s that.

I'm curious to why some Model S versions have 2021.x.x firmware while some are still on 2020.x.x? My car hasn't updated since 2020.48.37.2, is there a way to get a more recent firmware version? When I check for updates, it says my car is up to date.
I have read people commenting on older hw versions won’t get 2021+ updates. Not positive if that’s accurate but I have seen that comment a few times.