TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

[Firmware] Update could not be started?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Ambidexter, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

We took our X into the Santa Barbara service center today to check a seat post (they called us due to some piece of data from the factory that concerned them) and while there we asked them to try to grab the latest firmware update for us. They were able to download it (I got the notification on the app that it had come down) but then they started getting an error trying to install it. We took it home and I see the same error doing it myself:

"Update could not be started. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car."

Has anyone gotten that before? The software engineer in me thinks it sounds like the update is failing to checksum or some other sort of data corruption, and on my iPhone I would delete the update and trigger a redownload, but AFAIK I can't delete the update on my X.

Attached Files:

2. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

I cant speak with any particular authority on this but it sounds like either a corrupted download or the computers in your car need a reset to get them into a status where they can respond to an upgrade.

Odd that the SC would let the car out with this problem - maybe it was just a time issue.
    I would talk to them first.

Failing that I would try
    Reboot both the Main console (press and hold the two roller buttons on the wheel until it resets) and then the IC (press and hold even longer the two top buttons on the wheel unitl is resets.

This should at least clear that potential issue. If it is a corrupted download (or maybe the dowloads vary to each individual car which is quite likely to minimise data and your car somehow got sent the wrong one, then you will just have to wait for a new download as it says, unless the SC has some way to clear the current download for you.

• Informative x 2
  3. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

Thanks for the advice! One of those resets did it and then it installed without having to redownload.

4. Hans Allis

Hans Allis Member

I had the same message here, but in the end it somehow managed to install the update. I'm on 2.50.180 now, but don't notice any changes. No auto high beam, auto wipers, fob/profile links nor xmas show :(

5. bushburner

bushburner Member

You have an ap2 car? Just wondering if there are any enhanced autopilot functions

6. Hans Allis

Hans Allis Member

Yep. Did not find anything related to autopilot yet :(

7. bushburner

bushburner Member

Well got my update yest evening and like op, I had failed to update warning. Did the screen reset and it worked. I love this forum. Disappointed there were no autopilot functions but happy I was able to do the xmas Easter egg for my family.

8. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

Two interesting things I've seen so far on .180...

- Speed limits are displayed on my instrument panel now.
    - The car icon is showing me when things are close by as I drive past them.

This makes me hopeful to see real AP soon.

9. awillys

awillys Member

hi there.
    just took delivery of the car yesterday and I am having this same error message.
    it could be that my car in not yet synced with my Tesla profile, they said this should take 24 to 48h.
    or it could be something else.

I was just wondering, what is the "IC" ?

thanks
    A

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

It's the Instrument Cluster (screen) behind the steering wheel.

11. awillys

awillys Member

Thanks

The reset trick fixed my issue.