Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Firmware] Update could not be started?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took our X into the Santa Barbara service center today to check a seat post (they called us due to some piece of data from the factory that concerned them) and while there we asked them to try to grab the latest firmware update for us. They were able to download it (I got the notification on the app that it had come down) but then they started getting an error trying to install it. We took it home and I see the same error doing it myself:

"Update could not be started. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car."

Has anyone gotten that before? The software engineer in me thinks it sounds like the update is failing to checksum or some other sort of data corruption, and on my iPhone I would delete the update and trigger a redownload, but AFAIK I can't delete the update on my X.

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 100
I cant speak with any particular authority on this but it sounds like either a corrupted download or the computers in your car need a reset to get them into a status where they can respond to an upgrade.

Odd that the SC would let the car out with this problem - maybe it was just a time issue.
I would talk to them first.

Failing that I would try
Reboot both the Main console (press and hold the two roller buttons on the wheel until it resets) and then the IC (press and hold even longer the two top buttons on the wheel unitl is resets.

This should at least clear that potential issue. If it is a corrupted download (or maybe the dowloads vary to each individual car which is quite likely to minimise data and your car somehow got sent the wrong one, then you will just have to wait for a new download as it says, unless the SC has some way to clear the current download for you.

Failing that I would try
Reboot both the Main console (press and hold the two roller buttons on the wheel until it resets) and then the IC (press and hold even longer the two top buttons on the wheel unitl is resets.

hi there.
just took delivery of the car yesterday and I am having this same error message.
it could be that my car in not yet synced with my Tesla profile, they said this should take 24 to 48h.
or it could be something else.

I was just wondering, what is the "IC" ?

thanks
A