Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's a ton of posts in relation to this question but I'm still puzzled and I'd like to know if there's any up to date information I might be missing.

I got my brand new Model 3 a few weeks ago.
It's a Long Range, 2020 model.

The firmware update setting is set to advanced.

Every night, the car is sleeping in my indoor garage, and has a strong WiFi signal.
Every single time I park it, I verify that is has connected to the WiFI.

More recently, I've seen the following recommandation: forget the network and connect it again.
So all week, every night, I would park, forget the network, and connect to it again.

However, I never get the most recent updates.
My current version is 2019.31.10.31 288243e
It never once changed since I got it.

Also the maps really need an update... where I live (Montreal, Quebec, Canada), there's a lot of construction going on and the roads are just not up to date, so every day, I'm using Waze on my tiny mobile phone screen, instead of that beautiful 15 inches screen because it's completely outdate... If I use the Tesla navigation, the whole experience is actually painful because it will keep yelling at me to take a right, left, exit, etc... while I'm on the highway, where I should be.

If you have any recommandation for anything I could try to trigger the firmware updates, and the maps updates, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The priority for Tesla updates is such a mysterious way.
This, very much!

My first update came about 4-5 weeks after I got my car (and was several weeks old when I received the car). I always seem to be on the tail end of each firmware upgrade cycle (I just got the 2019.36.2.3 last night and others are already getting 2019.40.x).

Although I did get a maps update early on. If you are near an SC, if you have the time, go park next to it and log into their WiFi.

Also, others here have suggested that it can be a few weeks until you get into the update rotation for your area.

Congrats on the car. Welcome to the club.

The algorithm they use is a mystery. Hopefully you get the update soon.

Hi UGO-BOSS,

The forget the network and sign in again is a one time option when you are having trouble.
It is not something that you need to do every day or night.

To confirm a good web connection, use the car browser and connect to Tesla.com
If it works you are good to go. You do not have to repeat the forget the network and sign back in.

Wait for the next update...

Good luck,

Shawn

Newer cars seem to be lower on the priority list for updates. Not in all cases, but for many people, it seems this way. All I can suggest is be patient, your time will come. While the car is still new, take the time to learn its ways with the software you've got.

If you have any recommandation for anything I could try to trigger the firmware updates

It is my understanding that If you press advanced 5 times in the software menu it checks for updates and then installs?

I do not own model 3 yet; so I have never tried this but have seen Youtube videos and comments about it

Plugged in & on wifi. That’s all you can do.

Pressing anything 5 times will not do a dang thing. When you open the car options menu and click Software, the car auto checks for updates. You should also get a notification on your phone if you allow notifications.

Maps get updated 1-3 times a year supposedly. Last one was in or around August I believe. Waze will still be your friend and is useful but won’t be on the big screen anytime soon.

Software updates are mysterious like others have said. New cars do tend to have to wait 2-4wks sometimes. I’ve attached my updates for you to see.

Good luck and start reading through the forums.

Attachments

• DAB5AE1E-3C09-4A3C-992F-DD2CAD0113E3.jpeg
    DAB5AE1E-3C09-4A3C-992F-DD2CAD0113E3.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 68
It is my understanding that If you press advanced 5 times in the software menu it checks for updates and then installs?

I do not own model 3 yet; so I have never tried this but have seen Youtube videos and comments about it

Tried that. No luck. I did hear in another forum that is true starting with v10.

This has been debunked: it doesn't work on 9 or 10.

When I got my SR+ I was behind 2 updates. Started an online chat with Tesla Service (1.5hr wait time) and they pushed the update to my car.
I always hate hearing of people doing this. There is no reason to force the issue and you've now taxed the already overburdened service network.

I always hate hearing of people doing this. There is no reason to force the issue and you've now taxed the already overburdened service network.

I used online chat and it was all of a 2 minute conversation. No major time wasted and I got my answer. I didn't want to do a service center visit or anything like that. In my opinion they should find a way to clearly publish updates and rollout expectations. Would save them this wasted time. Think PC and cell phone manufacturers. They've figured this out.

I used online chat and it was all of a 2 minute conversation. No major time wasted and I got my answer. I didn't want to do a service center visit or anything like that. In my opinion they should find a way to clearly publish updates and rollout expectations. Would save them this wasted time. Think PC and cell phone manufacturers. They've figured this out.
And this was important to get some minor features a couple of days earlier? With in excess of half a million cars out there, if even 10% of owners did this "two minute conversation," it is over 1,500 hours of time load.

Just stop doing this: you're not missing out on anything.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Think PC and cell phone manufacturers. They've figured this out.
Yep- and they do it the same way Tesla does: pushing update notifications in batches. Just hang out on any Android subreddit when a new release is coming out and you'll see the same combination of "Got the update!"; "Where's the update?!"; and "Here's black magic that supposedly forces the update!" posts.

And this was important to get some minor features a couple of days earlier?

No. I just paid about $65k for a new car. Everyone else I knew with a 3 has v10+. Mine has v9. I waited a few days and had a question about what version I should be on. I am not incessantly pinging them about the latest patch every day, I just wanted to ensure my new car was where it was supposed to be. 2 minutes for an answer I am perfectly fine with. Your response is ridiculous. I was in and out of my pick up of the car on Monday in about 10 minutes. Maybe that was 20 minutes faster than average so I should be allocated 20 more minutes of support time from Tesla for the $$ I paid? Why shouldn't we expect some nominal level of support for a new car?

However, I never get the most recent updates.
My current version is 2019.31.10.31 288243e
It never once changed since I got it.

Also the maps really need an update... where I live (Montreal, Quebec, Canada), there's a lot of construction going on and the roads are just not up to date, so every day, I'm using Waze on my tiny mobile phone screen, instead of that beautiful 15 inches screen because it's completely outdate... If I use the Tesla navigation, the whole experience is actually painful because it will keep yelling at me to take a right, left, exit, etc... while I'm on the highway, where I should be.
Thanks!

It’s best to not get obsessive about the updates. You’ll get them when your number comes up. My wife’s 3 got 40.1.1 yesterday (might have been Thursday) but my car is still on 36.2.3 and there’s nothing I can do to expedite getting the update.

I love my 3, without question the best car I’ve ever owned. That being said, the in-car navigation & traffic are both awful. I’ve been a Waze user for about 7 years and it’s light-years ahead of what comes with the car. I gave up on the in-car navigation and traffic on day 2 of owning the car.
You’ll need to keep Waze for the foreseeable future unfortunately...☹️

• Disagree
Reactions: SalisburySam