Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware updates fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the firmware update for Santa Claus (2017.50.X) fail twice so far. I got the notice on Christmas day in the morning. I didn't need to drive so I had it install immediately. About 20 min or so later, I got a noice on my phone that the update failed.

Later on that day, I got the notice again for the firmware upgrade being available. I went to the garage and did the same thing to install immediately and again, I got an update failed message.

Today (so 2 days later), I got the message again that there is a firmware update available. I was at work and I called Tesla to explain that I had 2 failures already and what I should do. The guy on the phone said that it failed due to a download error. I told him that I'm on wifi at home. His only suggestion was to try it again.

Interestingly he said that the status right now is that it's in the process of setting up to be available to updated. He seemed to think that it's in the process of downloading the update to my car and when I click to install it will do the install (but not download).

I decided to play it safe and rather than update immediately, go with the default option of updating tonight at 2am. So we'll see if it is successful tomorrow. The last 2 updates (.42 and .48) both were successful and were updated later at 2am. After .48 the car went to the service center for a few minor issues and that was the only change since the last successful update. They did take apart the drivers side door to fix a rattle (which has since gone away) and I'm hoping they didn't break something so that the sensor thinks it's open or anything like that.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Some previous posts seem to recommend resetting the screen?

Our MX was delivered Friday 12-22. We received the 50.2 update on both our S & X within 10 minutes of each other. The S updated fine but the new MX said "Software update has failed." I had my local service center look at the logs and he said there were no faults in the logs and it does indeed show 50.2 as the current software version. As a side note, not sure if this is true or not, my SC advisor did say that 50.2 was indeed giving faults on many X's but the car is not the issue \i/

That makes zero sense. You don’t see the little timer / update icon until the download is already complete and ready to be installed. It’s not oh hey can I do the download and update now or later, it’s only the install part left once the icon is present.

Had the same issue. It finally went through fine yesterday. It took over 3 hours from the point of starting the update when the car turned over to the new version while I was driving (the center screen rebooted). I have 50.2.

Maybe related but last night when I was driving my son to marital arts, he was trying to get out of the car and said that the FWD button isn't working from the inside. I opened it from the center screen. The FWD opens fine from the outside.

This morning I tested it myself and sure enough when inside the car, pushing the FWD button to open (both FWD doors) wasn't working. I had to get out by using my key fob (press twice on the FWD to open) to get out.

I think the update tests the doors and stuff like that before installing.

Regarding the USB ports, I have 2 cables plugged in at all times for my phones but no phones were connected last night or the other 2 times that the firmware update failed.

This morning I tried doing a reset of the center screen (pushing both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for a few seconds) and that seemed to do a reboot but after that the FWD still wouldn't open from the inside.

Time to call the service center?

Maybe related but last night when I was driving my son to marital arts, he was trying to get out of the car and said that the FWD button isn't working from the inside. I opened it from the center screen. The FWD opens fine from the outside.

This morning I tested it myself and sure enough when inside the car, pushing the FWD button to open (both FWD doors) wasn't working. I had to get out by using my key fob (press twice on the FWD to open) to get out.

I think the update tests the doors and stuff like that before installing.

Regarding the USB ports, I have 2 cables plugged in at all times for my phones but no phones were connected last night or the other 2 times that the firmware update failed.

This morning I tried doing a reset of the center screen (pushing both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for a few seconds) and that seemed to do a reboot but after that the FWD still wouldn't open from the inside.

Time to call the service center?
Maybe child protection setting got turned on?

I hunted through the screens but didn't see a setting for that but I'll check again.

It was the first thought that came to mind and I did some web searches but only saw this: Child safety lock on FWD buttons inside the car | Tesla - didn't seem like the car had that functionality.

I've quickly learned not to make any assumptions with this car. I love the car but there are a few things that I expected but quickly found out that the car doesn't have - pull handles for people to get out of the car (especially the 3rd row) and blind spot detection. So I just thought after I couldn't find child protection lock settings on the screen it didn't have that either...

I hunted through the screens but didn't see a setting for that but I'll check again.

It was the first thought that came to mind and I did some web searches but only saw this: Child safety lock on FWD buttons inside the car | Tesla - didn't seem like the car had that functionality.

I've quickly learned not to make any assumptions with this car. I love the car but there are a few things that I expected but quickly found out that the car doesn't have - pull handles for people to get out of the car (especially the 3rd row) and blind spot detection. So I just thought after I couldn't find child protection lock settings on the screen it didn't have that either...
There are pull handle to open the FWDs, they are under the speaker grills. You can see cars in your blind spots on the dash.

Lol, I played around with the settings and was able to turn off child protection!

I'll try calling again about the update.

I was talking about handles that most cars have on the top ceiling part that you can grab when trying to get out of the car.

Grab handles?

displayimage.php

Our MX was delivered Friday 12-22. We received the 50.2 update on both our S & X within 10 minutes of each other. The S updated fine but the new MX said "Software update has failed." I had my local service center look at the logs and he said there were no faults in the logs and it does indeed show 50.2 as the current software version. As a side note, not sure if this is true or not, my SC advisor did say that 50.2 was indeed giving faults on many X's but the car is not the issue \i/
50.1 was giving faults, 50.2 was mostly fine.

Do you have autopilot enabled/paid for? Do you get a message on the instrument cluster at the bottom that says "Firmware update needed, contact Tesla service" or some such - that's a sign that while the user-facing part of the car updated just fine, ape did not.
So all the menus show up your new version, but autopilot does not work because that did not update (their new one-shot process is now a lot less forgiving than in the past, if it fails to boot new firmware on the first try, it reverts to the old release, but it's too late to stop the rest of the car upgrade at that point and the systems end up out of sync - very easy to fix if you have root, but you basically need S to push you new firmware for regular people).

And yes, there are no error messages in the logs, but the autopilot system sends a distress call to the mothership, it's just something I doubt SC has access to.

(and yes, I went through this yesterday, it's just I know exactly why my system had problems booting up and it took me several tries to make it happy).

I called support after multiple failures and the logs showed a problem with a door sensor (surprise surprise). The support person told me that a note on this issue had been added to my log a few days before and would be available for the techs when I take it into the SC. I have no idea what that means. It was unclear if this was some sort of global “note” for every X having this problem? If so, that would suggest to me that it’s fairly widespread. I’ve had no other issues with the car so far.

I called support and they saw the failed updates but didn't really have any details on why it was happening. They said that they would contact my local service center and they would take it from here so I guess I'll probably get a call or email at some point.

I'm on 17.48.X so I'm pretty up to date. This isn't urgent or anything like that. Hopefully I can just bring it in and they can take a look at it while I'm there or give me a loaner for the day.

Last time they gave me a great loaner (model x p100d ludicrous!) and that was the first time driving one of those beasts. And I thought my regular MX 100D was fast...I've never driven a Model S so I wouldn't mind that either. But this car has been so good that there really isn't any other reason to take it into service.

BTW, I have enhanced autopilot and it works fine.

Had a similar issue on my Model X. The update kept failing as there was a problem with the FWD capacity sensors according to the SC. They ordered the parts and replaced it. Once it was replaced I was able to continue updating successfully. I was also on 17.48.X at the time. Hopefully you get yours fixed soon.

• Informative
Reactions: jdchi