TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Firmware updates officially sooner when using WiFi

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wk057, Dec 30, 2016.

1. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

#1 wk057, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    At some point within the last month or so Tesla has added code to the firmware updater on the car that prioritizes firmware patch downloads when on WiFi and will delay downloading patches when not on WiFi.

The update server will now give the updater on the car a timeout date for when to give up trying to get the update if the car never connects to WiFi in that time and what to do if the timeout expires (abort the update entirely, or fall back to cellular for critical updates). Currently it looks like they're setting this at about 2 weeks.

So, before it was speculation that you would get updates sooner when using WiFi. Now it's 100% certain.

Just figured I'd share, as I hadn't actually seen this mentioned.

(Edit: This applies to the X also, but didn't want to post in both sub-forums)

• Informative x 40
    • Like x 7
    • Love x 1
  2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Thanks!

3. bswn1

bswn1 Member

Wow 2 weeks! Elon mentioned in a recent message that firmware updates took longer if not connected to Wifi, but figured it was a few days at most.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I got the Christmas update via lte. Car only gets wifi at sc. maybe it knows your routine and once it has you pegged as non wifi the two week timeout has been satisfied?

5. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why I hadn't received the FOBulous update yet - maybe something wrong with my home network.

Can you confirm that the service center geo-fencing trick no longer works?

6. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

They seem to have actually started using this on the server side part way through the 2.50.114 roll out, so possible you got it before then. I'm sure the 2 weeks portion is subject to change, also. Could potentially be car specific as its value returned in the car's personal handshake response with the update server.

The geofence thing hasn't worked for me for months for getting updates, but the car does still trigger a notification to Tesla's servers when entering or exiting a service center... it just doesn't trigger any updates.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. purduelion

purduelion Member

This seems like a "nudge/wink" post. Something big coming soon??? ;)

8. cynix

cynix Member

If they decide to penalise non-WiFi, they need to add a way to manually trigger an update check. I only have limited opportunities to connect the car to WiFi and don't want to leave it to chance.

• Like x 1
  9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It's not a penalty, it's just prioritizing updates that can go out over wi-fI. The mechanism for doing it may be different now, but Tesla has always said wi-fi connected cars get updates earlier and map updates only go out over wifi-fI.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

They are trying to save money, on bandwidth charges, and encourage people to have WiFi setup for firmware and map updates.

11. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I think cynix's point is that it would be useful to have a way to force an update check "now". If someone doesn't normally have wifi and they go out of their way to connect, it would be nice to minimize the amount of time that they have to sit there.

• Like x 2
  12. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Now if I could just find a way to keep the car hooked to wifi when it's in my garage.

Despite the wifi router only being a few meters from the car sometimes it hooks to wifi with a strong signal but sometimes it goes back to 3G.

Any thoughts on how to convince the car to always connect to wifi when the signal is present?

13. polymathic

polymathic Member

I think that setting the car network to always on, then once on WiFi it stays on WiFi. When network isn't always on, it seems to use LTE now and then, and may not get back on WiFi. I set mine to Always On when an update is being rolled out.

14. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Thanks for the hint- I just checked my car and I didn't have always connected selected, and my wifi wasn't even staying connected. I deleted the wifi connection and re input it, and now the data rate seems to have improved ( my wifi system reports it's connected now at 36MB/Sec data rate. I hope that works.

• Love x 1
  15. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Thanks but the car has always been set to "Always connected" so I'm guessing that's not it. I'm guess that setting is to keep the car connected to the Mothership in Freemont be it via wifi or LTE/3G.

Weird but I've noticed that sometimes when I open the door I'll see it's on LTE but if I close and then open it again it switches to wifi.

???

• Informative x 2
  16. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I think Always Connected is in reference to mobile app access. The car is always 'connected' to Fremont.

• Informative x 1
  17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

....and you'd have 10,000 people mashing that button like F5 everytime there's a point update.

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think it also affects the time of the map update. I set up a ZTE Mobely hotspot in my car yesterday and the maps downloaded overnight. Haven't seen 8.1 yet, but know that I have a permanent wifi connection I should see the download soon.

• Like x 1
  19. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I read that Elon Tweet and responded to it :"Wifi sucks in the S" :) I have tried a few things to get better wifi connection. Range extender, better router, different positioning with the car and extender, all to no avail. Reset wifi settings etc.......... I just think it's the car. My phone has a 5 bar connection , try the Kindle? Yup 5 bars. This is a problem everywhere, not just my home wifi. Maybe next service visit I'll have them check it. It's frustrating!

• Informative x 1
  20. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

It sounds like it may be your car specifically. My car does ok with wifi...full bars in the garage, and even gets 1 bar while in the driveway. It does probably help that the main wifi router is just on the other wall of the garage, and I also have 2 wifi Airport Express setup as extenders in the house.