Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware updates officially sooner when using WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all very disheartening since I live out in the country and have satellite internet (no other choice). Guess I will have to spend some quality time at Starbucks or something... :(
I don't understand your concern. I'm on satellite and updates work just fine. My car has WiFi coverage in the garage. It's actually been flagging me to do an update but after the debacle that was 8.0 my wife has me under orders to get the skinny on what the update does from TMC before updating (it's her car). Also it's only a 2 week delay to get it over cellular which isn't really all that long.

My car is always on WiFi when it's home, which is the vast majority of time and I still haven't gotten the map update or the most recent update that allows us to pair fobs to driver profiles...

So while I'm not arguing the prioritization, I'm saying being on WiFi isn't a guarantee of anything...

Jeff

My car is always on WiFi when it's home, which is the vast majority of time and I still haven't gotten the map update or the most recent update that allows us to pair fobs to driver profiles...

So while I'm not arguing the prioritization, I'm saying being on WiFi isn't a guarantee of anything...

Jeff
I got my Map updates 2 days ago when not on Wifi so I really dont think it matters. I added a WiFi extender in my garage yesterday in hopes it would speed up my HW2 update but nothing yet.

I remember getting the update that enabled WiFi - my recollection is that when I got my first car (in June 2013) it was cell connection only until then.

I got my car in early March 2013 and thought it had WiFi from the get-go, but I could easily be mistaken! I do know that the mobile app itself had just come out around the time I got my car. Some who had received the car just before me had no way to pre-heat other than going out to the car and leaving a door ajar.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Hi Everyone, I received my Model only a couple of weeks ago - just before Christmas. I have not been tremendously successful at connecting via wifi at home. However, I parked at the NorthPark Mall near the Tesla store. I received new maps and a few other downloads very quickly.

The guys at the store said, of course, that their IT group setup their WIFI. Being an IT person myself, I'm heading back to Northpark this weekend to encourage the guys at the store to call their IT Help Desk.

I do know this... The connection was clearly setup as a guest network. When i asked a couple of questions, it is running on n band.

More after my trip to NP.

Hope this helps

Since we are talking about Wifi in the car, I figured it would be a good time to mention my discovery that certain internal IP ranges do not work with the car. I used to have my router giving out 192.168.20.x IPs, but the car would never connect (nor a loaner S I had for a bit). When I switched my router to 192.168.30.x all worked great. This would not fix intermittent wifi issues, only if you car can never connect to your wifi.

It's too bad the car's wifi is only 54 mbps apparently since my internet is now 1000 mbps :D

However, I parked at the NorthPark Mall near the Tesla store. I received new maps and a few other downloads very quickly.

Just to make sure you understand: It takes ~24 hours after the maps update has been downloaded before it is finishes verifying and installing the update and then putting up the screen that says the update was complete. So if you got the "maps updated" prompt shortly after parking at the mall your car had already downloaded it and was just working on installing it.

Where I park at work I get a couple bars for the guest wifi of another business in the building. Last week I walked in and asked nicely if I could get the wifi password so my car could get software updates. Turns out the guy I asked was an engineer and wanted to know what kind of car gets software updates over wifi, so it turned into a 15 minute conversation about Tesla and EVs. Nice guy. Oh, and he gave me the password! I told him I wouldn't be using too much bandwidth; I hope I wasn't lying...