TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Firmware updates seem to have slowed

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rpm001, Jun 7, 2017.

1. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Last update on 8.1 is getting a little old. Seems like they used to flow a lot more quickly - every 3 weeks maybe? Any speculation?

- All hands on deck to nail the Model 3 firmware, diverting resources from the S line.
    - Working hard on smoothing the silk

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

My last 3 updates were 4/29, 5/10 and 5/24 so seems like still every 2-3 weeks.

Elon's quote from shareholder meeting this week:

“I think with the next release of software, which is maybe as soon as next week, we will finally exceed the experience of the hardware one cars, and then it’s going to advance very rapidly from there.”

Seems likely that if he says maybe next week, it might be here by the end of this month. We'll see.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Emmies

Emmies Member

“I think with the next release of software, which is maybe as soon as next week, we will finally exceed the experience of the hardware one cars, and then it’s going to advance very rapidly from there.”

music to my ears. i've only driven hw2 for 40 days or so but it clearly needs much more improvement.

• Like x 2
  4. msnow

msnow Active Member

You probably get more updates than the majority of us because you have an AP2 car. Also, I note Elon's quote was specific to an update for AP2. Sadly we are still waiting for the OS and UI updates that have been promised several times over the past several months.

• Like x 4
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

He referred to updates to AP2 functionality. He didn't say anything about the coming update just being for AP2 cars.

6. sdorn

Yeah, AP1 is pretty much dead I think. My guess is AP1 updates will just be maintenance items and anything that is unrelated to AP functionality. It's like being on Windows 8 now that Windows 10 has rolled out. Time for a new laptop.

• Like x 2
  7. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Why all the doom and gloom? Just trying to make us AP1 owners jealous? :)

I'm quite happy with the way AP1 works for me right now (and I'm not even running the latest 8.1, maybe a couple months old). If they're not making any major changes to it, then that also means fewer surprises (and fewer introduced bugs). I do expect to get whatever non-AP-related improvements that AP2 cars get, as well as bug fixes for all the subsystems (cough fix media player cough).

Bruce.

• Like x 4
  8. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Still waiting for the smooth as silk update

• Like x 2
  9. sdorn

His 5/22 tweet announcing the "smooth as silk" update said it would come out in June. June has barely started and everyone knows that when he says June, he means the end of June at best and likely July or August, so not sure why you are "still" waiting. The waiting has just begun.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

June means 6/30 23:59:59 BIT (UTC-12) :)

In all seriousness, I bet we get it in ~2 weeks.

A

• Funny x 1
  11. rpm001

rpm001 Member

I was looking purely at the firmware numbers with the second digit being the week.

I'm really not complaining, just an observation.

12. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I wish they would fix the wrong km to miles conversion when crossing Canada to US border. It worked fine in previous releases.

• Like x 1
  13. majcina

majcina Member

While all you AP (1 or 2!) drivers are going on about updates, I'm still running 8.0 firmware 17.8.16. My car has prompted me to install an update twice, and both failed. I have a May 2014 S85 with no frills. The fanciest options I can claim are tech package and something other than standard black paint. What OS firmware are you other classic S drivers running around with these days?

14. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I drove a loaner with AP1 yesterday, it had 17.18.50 which I have never heard of before.
    I tell you what , AP WAS smooth as silk! Even better than the AP1 I remember. Hopefully my car will get the same update while at service- this was seriously impressive.
    But who knows what AP2/HW2 will be like on the same update? Parity time???

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Elon said that AP2 updates would come every 2-6 weeks. The last update was May 6th, which puts the next update at June 17th or earlier.

AP2 updates so far have been 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 2.5 weeks, 5 weeks, 5 weeks and counting...

So yes, this is the longest delay so far for AP2, but not by much. So far. The fact that Tesla is saying "maybe next week" doesn't bode well for it actually being next week given the history of dates vs releases (we're 167 days past the "next week" statement for AP2 having most AP1 features, which we're supposed to now believe we're only a week now...)

Why do I have the funny feeling that whatever this release is, it still won't literally do everything AP1 does? Remember, it needs to read speed limit signs, tell the difference between a truck, a car, and a motorcycle, enable auto windshield wipers, show cars in adjacent lanes, and move AEB from 28 MPH to 90 MPH.

I'm 99% sure Tesla has a much more liberal definition of "we will finally exceed the experience of the hardware one cars" than I do.

• Like x 1
  16. oktane

oktane Active Member

Good point. Call me a skeptic, but never reaching parity is the most likely outcome. There is a reason mobileye was working on this for 10 years before being adopted by Tesla.

• Like x 1
  17. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

Anyone else still waiting for the real 8.1?

You know, the one originally planned for December 2016 that was supposed to allow users to set a custom threshold for cabin temperature protection.

• Like x 2
  18. msnow

msnow Active Member

Me, but I've pretty much given up hope.

19. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I am still waiting for any of the conveniences such as Android Auto or Apple Car Play or many of the simple things they could have done to better the UI experience.

• Love x 1
  20. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

Nitpick, but AP2 does have most of the AP1 features. It certainly has the most important ones(does anybody really care what sprite is displayed on the dash, or whether it shows cars in adjacent lanes as long as it reacts correctly to them?)