Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware updates seem to have slowed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why all the doom and gloom? Just trying to make us AP1 owners jealous? :)

I'm quite happy with the way AP1 works for me right now (and I'm not even running the latest 8.1, maybe a couple months old). If they're not making any major changes to it, then that also means fewer surprises (and fewer introduced bugs). I do expect to get whatever non-AP-related improvements that AP2 cars get, as well as bug fixes for all the subsystems (cough fix media player cough).

Bruce.

Agreed. 27k miles in AP1 X and I find SW to be a fantastic highway driving experience (even use it on divided roads around town) and work around the few deficiencies.

What I'd like to see is the USB, XM radio and web browser improved. When fixed, I wouldn't need another update......

Does anyone really care that the AP1 cars aren't going to get major updates? AP1 works so well I can't think of what I'm lacking. I wish summon had a higher torque threshold before disabling itself because it only gets up my carport 50% of the time. Other than that, as far as on the road driving goes, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The onramp to offramp driving sounds like it will be cool to play with once but doesn't add any real practical improvement in the driving experience. At least for me.

I don't mind slower. Especially if it will mean more significant AP improvements in releases. In my experience it is not yet trustworthy. I only activate it when few cars around. For me that is not often.

AFAIK AP2.0 does not have follow yet. I have yet to see any car turn blue on the dash the way it does on an AP1 car.

It only does this if the lane markers disappear completely. I've seen it several times when traveling through an intersection and the behavior is quite predictable when you know the circumstances under which it happens. It will start following the car in front rather than relying on the lane markers since they aren't there.

The big difference is AP2 will only do this briefly if all else fails, and is really inclined to prefer crappy lane markings over a lead car. AP1 is pretty much the exact opposite: it can sometimes spend minutes in blue car mode on country roads with only a center divider.

I still have hopes that AP1 can undergo some more refinement. For example, why can it not go smoother on highway curves than just barreling along at the set speed? There is plenty of data recorded (both AP and driver mode) on the roads we frequently travel on (millions of miles/day they say). So if the data shows everyone slowing down by 20% on a curve, why can't our AP speed also slow down by 20% of our set speed? Today, I hope to be following a car in front to keep me from flying off a sharp curve.

Another example - when my route splits (or an exit ramp goes straight while my intended route veers off slightly), it is a 50/50 chance that my AP1 picks the right direction. On my commute every day, I take the same turns - why can't that experience create a weighting algorithm that makes better guesses on which side the car my favour (right versus left side of the lane)?

Don't get me wrong - I love the AP - I use it every day and can't part without it now. But there should always be room for a little improvement (even for us AP1 owners).

While all you AP (1 or 2!) drivers are going on about updates, I'm still running 8.0 firmware 17.8.16. My car has prompted me to install an update twice, and both failed. I have a May 2014 S85 with no frills. The fanciest options I can claim are tech package and something other than standard black paint. What OS firmware are you other classic S drivers running around with these days?
I just updated my sept 2013 P85+ to 17.24.28.