Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Updates - so whats your geofencing gig?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dash cam in my car at the last service a few weeks ago, while the techs were in my car they were talking about how usually if a car at the service center is due for an update it gets it automatically to help save time downloading or pushing the update to the car manualy. However my car had updated less then 5 days before and for whatever reason it was not automatically updating, they had to push the software to mine from the service laptop. There is a map of all the geo fences in the firmware thread that trigger updates, basically it was every service center and store. I'm guessing the stores are geo fences so the test drive cars stay current.

Last edited:
Good reminder @TechGuy , here is the original post from @znib

Here, you can see the Geofences on Google Maps:
Tesla Service Center Geofences

You have to click the little arrow on the left where it says "Service Center Geofences" to see the complete list of the Service Centers / Geofences. The list is not in alphabetical order, I kept the order the same as in the .json file from Ingineer, but you should be able to use your browsers search function to find a specific Service Cener. Or just zoom in on the map.

• Informative
Reactions: rog and Tech_Guy
Also a reminder of the typical geofence process, courtesy of our resident expert @Ingineer

1. When you enter the geofence your car knows this because of it's internal database of locations. It immediately sends an alert to the mothership AS SOON AS YOU ENTER.
2. The mothership will then decide using it's secret formula to decide whether you are due for an update (I estimate only 20% of the time you are), and if so, it will begin packaging the update patch on it's side.
3. Once the update patch is ready, it will be pushed to your car over cell or WiFi. If you are on WiFi, it will download faster, but it's typically only about 100 megs or less, so not really slow.
4. Once downloaded, the patch will be extracted and it's contents verified. This takes a long time and uses up a lot of CPU power on the CID. DO NOT REBOOT! Rebooting only makes it start over from the beginning. If you reboot while the update is being prepared, you may actually miss the push and you will NOT get it!
5. Once the update has been verified, only then do you get the notification (alarm clock). Tesla calls this "Staging" so you are now "staged" and can then "Deploy" the update at your leisure. Once staged, there is nothing more that needs connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC
Costa Mesa and Buena Park have been reliable. Park for 20 minutes and go.

Not so much at Torrance although parking there is somewhat limited relative to the geofencing.

I wouldn't expect any joy at Hawthorne, relatively speaking.

Haven't tried Centinela or Van Nuys for updates yet.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Visited the Toronto Lawrence Service Centre charger today but no update triggered. Still on 2.28.19

2.28.19 was the last mass release. As you can see from the attached snapshot, you are far from alone and your driving must be contributing valuable feedback for our next one, and they dont want to let you go. ;) Hang in there!

Attachments

• Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App.pdf
    399.5 KB · Views: 113
I received ...28.19 back in mid-July, without any special tricks and without wifi available. I mention this because of the mysterious "aging factor" cited by @Ingineer. Anyway this past Saturday I was passing by the Burlingame SC and I decided to try for an update. I parked in the "additional parking" area, where I noticed that I was picking up the SC wifi signal. But the signal looked weak and I thought that might be a problem so I disabled wifi. I spent a minute or two looking for some indication that a download might happen: I thought the "T" popup would be a great place to put that. But I didn't see anything.

Then I went on my way, after maybe three minutes parked. Within an hour or two I had an update notification, and the update took me from ...28.19 to ...34.100.

I also received 2.28.19 "normally" over the air on July 21st. During the month of August, I had stopped briefly at the Sunnyvale service center on the 12th, and for a longer period outside the Tesla store in the Stanford Shopping Center on the 21st, both locations inside geofences marked on the map that's linked in post #3. Neither of those stops triggered any update. However, yesterday (29th), I once again dropped by the Sunnyvale SC, just long enough to pull in and turn around before heading home. 45 minutes later, I received the update notification, and proceeded to get 2.34.100. Days since prior update: 39.

Back on June 13th, over a month before getting 2.28.19, I'd been offered the 2.22.50 update immediately after supercharging at the Monterey/Seaside SC. That was right around the time people were starting to notice a correlation between getting an update notification and having just visited a service center. Days between those two updates: 38.

It's tempting to speculate on what the aging factor might be, but in my case, 30 days wasn't quite enough.

How about starting some kind of database or spreadsheet to indicate success or failures at the various service centers?

That's good! A version similar to @HankLloydRight 's version tracker but with locations and a success/unsuccessful toggle instead. Any builders here?

Someone else can build it, but IMHO the resulting data would be of dubious value.

Since Ingineer has explained a dozen times already, just because you enter the geofence doesn't mean you'll get an update. So the only thing you can track is positive events. The "I didn't get an update" event is meaningless, but I'm sure a lot of people would report those. There's also the case of false-positives where your car has already downloaded the update, is in the middle of processing it, and the you enter the geofence and a few minutes later you get the update available notice. That would be confirmation bias.

So I think it's pretty safe to say that (1) If your car actually qualifies for an update, and (b) you enter the geofence area (and your GPS is accurate and you're not backing up into the geofence), you'll get an update. I personally don't think we need a database or tracking tool to track this.

But if someone else wants to build one. ;)

Yah I get your 'value for the effort' statement, especially as compared to release data. And I know you put significant time into the release tracker. We'll just keep pounding ingeneers statements home, so he doesn't have to any longer.

Yes there is geofencing. Yes, these are the coded geo locations, nicely mapped courtesy of znib. And yes, it works when it's ready and not when we are. In the meantime, keep trying everyone! :)

I'm also on 2.28.19... P85D. I tried the geofencing idea at the San Diego Fashion Valley Mall a few times now with no luck. My office is right next door so it's easy for me to quickly enter and exit the mall area.

How reliable is the geofencing map? Tesla Service Center Geofences

I was wondering about how reliable this is as well since the service center (875 N Ellsworth Ave, Villa Park, IL 60181) shows no geo fence but instead the Geo Fence is shown in a forest preserver a couple of blocks east.

It might be helpful to remember that the car's GPS position can be wrong by 50 to 300 feet, and even though your car might be physically within the parking lot of the geo-fenced area, the GPS might still be indicating a location just outside the fence, so no download trigger. To get the trigger, the car's GPS-calculated "location" must be a point within the geo-fence.