Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Updates - so whats your geofencing gig?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Data point: My 2013 S85 got its prior update (7.1.2.28.75) on 8/3 over the air. I was charging at Dublin CA on 8/25 and about 30 minutes thereafter had 7.1.3.32.100 ready to go.

My wife's 2015 S70D (with TACC/AP) got 7.1.2.28.19 OTA on 7/21/16. Nothing since. Might make a trip to Dublin to see what gets pushed.

BTW we are on WiFi when parked at home.

Man, I've been striking out lately. Been to my Sunnyvale SC 10 days in a row now, still no update triggered from 2.32.65. And I've been doing the exact same thing I knew worked before.

The mystery aging parameter at play :)
Hmm. You appear to have gotten four updates in a span of time where I only got one:
2.28.19/2.28.75/2.32.23/2.32.65

How long has it been since you got 2.32.65?

Based on my testing, the more often you use the geofencing "trick", the less likely it will work again without a long time gap. So going by every day is only likely to waste your time, and keep moving you back.

Save the trick for 8.0, and quit wasting your time for minor point releases. Really nothing much changes. I can't believe the amount of effort people will put into this.

Based on my testing, the more often you use the geofencing "trick", the less likely it will work again without a long time gap. So going by every day is only likely to waste your time, and keep moving you back.

Save the trick for 8.0, and quit wasting your time for minor point releases. Really nothing much changes. I can't believe the amount of effort people will put into this.

HA HA @chillaban , you are in the penalty box!!!!
Yes, we really do get caught up, but there are skeptics among us. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Kalud and chillaban

Haha, thanks for letting me know! I'll stop doing that now in hopes of the trick working better for 8.0 :)

I don't believe that is supported by any factual evidence. I've received two in one day and I've received the vast majority of updates available to my model car by geofencing. I'm only speaking from my own personal experience.

Today was 16 days since geo-fencing last (which got me 2.32.23 BTW)
Went over to my local SvC, had a coffee and talked to all the folks and an owner.
Probably, 25 minutes elapsed time.
Result.... nothing and nada multiplied by zilch.
I must be up to date for my S's specifics.

BTW, I was at the SvC at 8 AM EDST which is 5 AM PDST.... I wonder if the Tesla Servers are doing other things at that time frame? Such as backups, etc. In other words, is the GeoFencing infrastructure always up and running along with the firmware build and push servers?

Ok then, I must be supposedly. "Up To Date" or on Monday morning, early, the system is down for backups and patching.

Is there some situation where the car puts up a "FLAG" that stops any firmware update? I heard thru scuttle butt that one instance of a lowish 12 volt battery situation, caused the Model S from being a worthy candidate for an OTA firmware update? I suspect then, there could be some system of checks that preclude one's car from either triggering or accepting an OTA update??

Is there some situation where the car puts up a "FLAG" that stops any firmware update? I heard thru scuttle butt that one instance of a lowish 12 volt battery situation, caused the Model S from being a worthy candidate for an OTA firmware update? I suspect then, there could be some system of checks that preclude one's car from either triggering or accepting an OTA update??
No, even cars that are in major collisions will still get the updates if the mothership thinks they are due. What will happen though is if you have any significant faults, such as a failing 12v battery, the update will refuse to deploy. It will report "The update failed, please try again later". I see no evidence that that faults in the car prevent the update from being staged.

Again people, don't stress. The point updates are so tiny, and they are distributing them each to small portions of the fleet for testing using an internal algorithm. It's not like an update on your PC or smartphone. There is nothing "wrong" with your car, and you haven't been put on some kind of blacklist just because you are a few months "old".

Rest assured if there is a critical update, Tesla always pushes it to the whole fleet.

Well, a non-data point I guess. I'm on the way-back version 2.28.60.

There are other P85+s with more recent versions: 2.30.33/2.32.100/2.32.23/2.32.65/2.34.115

I stopped by the Syosset Service center and SC and charged *twice* today.... and no update. :(

I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get an update? Maybe the servers were on holiday today? I also couldn't find a local "service" wi-fi to connect to. There were a few other cars there today both times, so maybe there's a limit on how many cars can get an update triggered from each service center each day? I did check, and I made sure that all my valve stems were pointed "up", I heard that helps. I did hit the wand button 10-times to get the rainbow ring, I thought that might trigger an update, no? (I don't have AP, so I can't get "rainbow road"). Any other things I can try?

:) ;)