Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Updates - so whats your geofencing gig?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, a non-data point I guess. I'm on the way-back version 2.28.60.

How long have you had 2.28.60? From what @Ingineer has shared with us, I gather there's an aging factor for update eligibility. I had 2.28.19 for about 40 days, until I visited the SC last weekend and triggered 2.34.100. Before that I believe I had 2.20.30 for almost four months. During that time I visited the odd SC, but only within the first 30 days of that period.

It also sounds to me like there's a hardware-specific aspect to many releases. They fix specific bugs in specific sets of cars, and you'll only get an update if Tesla thinks your car has one of those problems. That probably means recently manufactured cars, because the April refresh was bound to introduce a problem or two. If that's right, your pre-AP car might be languishing because Tesla figures it's already perfect: congratulations!

• Informative
Reactions: PacManMX
I stopped by the Syosset Service center and SC and charged *twice* today.... and no update. :(

I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get an update? Any other things I can try?

:) ;)
Ever since this geofencing became know, I have never gotten an update after being at Syosset numerous times.
However, the 3 times I stopped briefly at the Milford, CT. service center I always got an update.
Coincidence?
Since you are in Connecticut, you might take a ride to Milford for the fun of it.

Ever since this geofencing became know, I have never gotten an update after being at Syosset numerous times.
However, the 3 times I stopped briefly at the Milford, CT. service center I always got an update.
Coincidence?
Since you are in Connecticut, you might take a ride to Milford for the fun of it.
Well, the last two times I was at the Milford, CT SvC.... Zip, nada, zilch.

Well I am now 4 releases old. The 4 previous to my current , including 2 being first timers reported on the tracker, were like clockwork at my SC. Either stopping for a charge or parking to make some phone calls / return emails I would get updates. Stuck on .65 now with the same process as before. Like @Ingineer says I guess, Tesla must be doing some interim release testing and leaving some on longer for results ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I am now 4 releases old. The 4 previous to my current , including 2 being first timers reported on the tracker, were like clockwork at my SC. Either stopping for a charge or parking to make some phone calls / return emails I would get updates. Stuck on .65 now with the same process as before. Like @Ingineer says I guess, Tesla must be doing some interim release testing and leaving some on longer for results ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Welcome to the doldrums that I was in for almost 6 weeks on 2.28.19, including two separate attempts passing through geofenced areas, until I magically skipped a bunch of dot releases and received 2.34.100 after a third geofence run a week or two later. The ~>€^#~er for me was knowing at least one other S90D built just a couple weeks ahead of me with nearly the same specs picked up multiple updates in another part of SoCal playing the geofence game, when I could not.

As I said somewhere around here before, I think it just goes to say, that most dot releases are inconsequential. Tesla gives no indication most of the time what the differences are, and without @Ingineer's module insight, well, we're just left wondering and completely in the dark, while Tesla folks grin stealthily reading threads like this. IMHO, if it's fun or important for another owner to try and get the latest and greatest release someone else has reported, good luck to them ...but just as in Vegas, only the house (Tesla in this case) controls the game and wins in the end. Tesla will push out updates to the fleet or some subset of it, when it's important from their POV. I think by now it's more than proven, owners do not control the cards at all in this geofencing/firmware distribution game except for being able to decline (perhaps some) updates that may be pushed to them. I personally have no plans to play the Tesla Firmware GeoFence game any longer trying to get the latest dot release -- unless once again, I find multiple confirmations that some bug or feature I REALLY want may have become available. Otherwise, I'll wait for the next magic OTA update notification to appear on my CID and iPhone, happily update, and start exploring what new world has been released inside my best toy.

Last edited:
Yes, you can't go by build config or VIN. It seems some cars will get every point release even without a geofence trigger for like 5 versions in a row, then it will stop for about 5 versions. Don't freak out if you are on the "dark side of the moon" as far as updates go. You are not on some bad boy list. It's just how they do things.

Now 5 incremental versions behind so I stopped by on my daily commute for a few minutes and still didn't trigger an update. Hopefully I won't be 5 updates behind into version 8 before I get the first one. Lol :) :)

I'm in the same camp. Accidentally visited a geofence today (lunch is next to a geofence) and still did not get an update from 2.32.65. Almost seems like they're intentionally holding some of us at various versions for A/B testing.

Guess I didn't get "the latest/greatest gene". Don't want to misinterpret, but I agree with @HankLloydRight and @Ingineer . Lack of the latest point update hasn't affected my driving pleasure ( ignorance is bliss?). My brain doesn't find a pattern in releases; they appear ( as others have said) to be releasing patches; fixes; things to test on a limited subset; I don't know . Bottom line: Fretters are gonna fret! o_O:)

No update because there is no such thing as GEOFENCE except in the minds of wanna bees.
You are absolutely wrong. You see "ENTER_TESLA_FACILITY" along with the facility ID code if you monitor the telemetry. This happens anytime a car enters any of the geofenced locations as shown here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Xbgbw4oX_7gRqGzF59pJYub98Yg

When the car departs the geofence it sends "EXIT_TESLA_FACILITY".

Now what Tesla chooses to do with that information is what's not fully known. Some of the time they immediately push software provided you are due for one in their complex queuing system.

This happens anytime a car enters any of the geofenced locations as shown here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Xbgbw4oX_7gRqGzF59pJYub98Yg
Some of the geofences are quite strange. Any theory as to why some are so much bigger than others?

"San Diego - Miramar" (service center) is very tight, just 2 rows of parking all the way around the service building.
"San Diego - Fashion Valley" (retail store) tightly covers the mall and its parking lot.
"San Diego - UTC" (retail store) covers an odd shaded area more than three times the size of UTC mall and its parking area.

Some of the geofences are quite strange. Any theory as to why some are so much bigger than others?

"San Diego - Miramar" (service center) is very tight, just 2 rows of parking all the way around the service building.
"San Diego - Fashion Valley" (retail store) tightly covers the mall and its parking lot.
"San Diego - UTC" (retail store) covers an odd shaded area more than three times the size of UTC mall and its parking area.
...and the UTC geofenced area is not only the massive mall and surrounding parking areas, but includes a 4-lane public street with stop lights on the West side with the adjoining smaller mall on the other side of that road as well. As I mentioned a while back, I suspect the reason for the differences is simple: humans are involved with setting up the geofenced areas... some are more technical or specific than others - nothing more earth shattering than that. ;)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Has the geofence map been updated since Sept 2016?

I'm asking because I don't see the new Santa Clara service center on there.

Also, has anyone been successful recently to get a software update triggered by briefly stopping at a service center?

Has the geofence map been updated since Sept 2016?

I'm asking because I don't see the new Santa Clara service center on there.

Also, has anyone been successful recently to get a software update triggered by briefly stopping at a service center?

Self-triggered geofence firmware updates have stopped working since 8.0's timeframe. But bringing your car in for service still triggers getting point-release updates that don't get triggered otherwise. It seems like now they will push the update to your car at some point during the service appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: Klaus