TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Firmware updates via Service Center

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kdday, Dec 8, 2016.

1. kdday

kdday Member

Hi everyone-

My MS60 went into production overnight! Super excited. I'm anticipating taking delivery sometime around the magical time when Elon said software improvements to AP 2.0 cars should start rolling out.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like firmware updates aren't pushed to all cars at all times, and often it can take days/weeks for an update to show up on the dashboard as ready to install.

My questions are:

1) is there any way to manually force the car to "check for updates" similar to how I can on my iPhone? Will a software reboot while on wifi help?

2) If I take my car to the SC can they apply the latest updates once released, even if my car doesn't yet show an upgrade as ready to install?

I just hate the thought of waiting for firmware updates after they're released and my car just doesn't get them for some reason or another.

Thanks

2. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

1)No
    2) Pretty sure they do that!

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Chill. There is no reason you need any firmware update immediately. The reason most are pushed out slowly is so Tesla can find what bugs there are before tens of thousands of cars have it. Sometimes there's a new build every few days. Be glad if you're one of those who doesn't get the first or second build of a firmware update. Also not every car gets every build-- some are just for certain configurations.

• Like x 2
  4. SCDrJ

SCDrJ Member

+1

Although I don't think they take cars in just to update firmware, but if it's there for anything else one of the service tasks is to apply the latest FW build that is meant for your car. Some versions only apply to certain equipment you may or may not have as well from what I understand.

• Like x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

1) No
    2) They apply the most recent release that has been assigned to your car.

So, no you can't really force an update early.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'm hoping they bring back the geofencing update process that was around for a while prior to 8.0.

7. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

1) As has been noted by others: No, but you are not the first to wonder that. :)

2) I asked a friend at the local service center about this some time ago. Basically they have the capability to update cars as soon as they receive the updates. However, they are not supposed to do that unless the car is in for some other service reason.

Regarding waiting: Welcome to the wonderful world of waiting for updates. I'd like to say you get used to it after a while but I joined the family almost 2 years ago and I still check Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App every day to see how many releases I'm behind. :)

8. kdday

kdday Member

Thanks for the answers.

9. croman

croman Active Member

There is really good reason to get the 8.1 update as soon as possible. The new AP2.0 Teslas are not as safe as they should be without that update. Even basic safety features are missing and the 8.1 update will provide that. Hell, even basic convenience features like automatic lights and windshield wiper action is missing at this stage. I asked my OA and DS and they said my store will push the update if, after 24 hours, it fails to prompt me. That is if my pick up occurs before 8.1 is announced as available. I think my timing will also be right around Elon's prediction.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You're assuming the first build released of 8.1 won't cause other issues. Again, there's a reason why Tesla releases updates slowly.