TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware updates WiFi only?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ratsbew, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Will software updates come in over WiFi only or will the car's built in modem download new software? My parents live in a rural area and have very poor home internet. I just want to make sure that they can still get software updates OTA.

Thanks

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#2 FlasherZ, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    It will receive them over the 3G or LTE connection (in addition to Wi-Fi).

3. dbullard

dbullard Member

However, map updates can be so large they do require wi-fi... And there's no way to say, "update NOW" when parked near free wi-fi. Or a service center :)

4. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I thought maps were streamed live from Google?

5. Kratus

Kratus Member

#5 Kratus, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    The maps he is talking about are the ones for the navigation system, from Navigon, displayed on the the screen behind the steering wheel, not the maps from Google that are displayed on the central touchscreen. The first need to be available offline at any time, so they are downloaded to the car. The latter are only available if there is an Internet connection.

6. mcduck

mcduck Member

My car is typically never connected to Wi-Fi. I've gotten multiple firmware updates over 3G. For map updates do you get some sort of notification when it is available or does it happen automatically?

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    You always get a notification and can accept or defer. I have done mine either at the SC or via 3G. I could have done a couple by wifi but it just has not happened so far.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In 2+ years, I've yet to get the any Navigon map updates.

For the firmware, the download is automatic, but the installation is up to you. There will be a popup.

• Like x 1
  9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have never seen the "maps up to date" message that others are seeing, yet when I asked Tesla they looked at the map version in my car and said that I have the latest version of the maps database. So I don't think you can say, definitively, whether you have received updates or not.