Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Firmware Upgrade Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may hate this suggestion, Hank.

There are at least three very credible reports of what was likely to be an update to version. 236 being pulled before it could be installed. Is there any way you would consider adding the ability to track this to the update tracker? I think it is pretty significant.

Do you know what version is about to be installed then recalled, before its actually installed?

I think it's interesting to talk about, but also kind of speculative and would make a mess of the very simple data entry the system has now. I'd have to add data entry fields like:
If you had a firmware update recalled before install, click here x
Date firmware downloaded xxxx
Date download recalled: xxx (really "date you noticed firmware update gone")
Suspected version xxx (this can only be a guess)

It's all very "soft" data that doesn't happen often enough other than to be a footnote "suspected version xxx released around May 25th, later recalled"

I don't think there is an easy, clean, and free from user error way to collect and the display this information.

Do you know what version is about to be installed then recalled, before its actually installed?

I think it's interesting to talk about, but also kind of speculative and would make a mess of the very simple data entry the system has now. I'd have to add data entry fields like:
If you had a firmware update recalled before install, click here x
Date firmware downloaded xxxx
Date download recalled: xxx (really "date you noticed firmware update gone")
Suspected version xxx (this can only be a guess)

It's all very "soft" data that doesn't happen often enough other than to be a footnote "suspected version xxx released around May 25th, later recalled"

I don't think there is an easy, clean, and free from user error way to collect and the display this information.

I definitely realized there would be issues. And I'm not sure I have any great ideas on how they could be solved.

I just think that looking at the big picture, and what the goal of the update tracker is, that when an update is pulled, as it appears .236 has been, that it is a pretty significant event. But I really don't know how best to record it.

Compared to the number of people using the tracker, the incident rate of firmware recalls is going to be very low, and likely very infrequent (it must happen only when Tesla really screws something up, which we hope is never!). I don't think it's worth jeopardizing the simple data input we have now by adding more fields for an event that's infrequent and only happens to a few people. The more fields you ask people to fill out (even if they don't apply) is going to drive down overall data input accuracy, for really marginal benefit.