Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Version 9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want more scroll wheel functionality. For example, when I'm engaged on a Bluetooth phone call, the left scroll wheel only does volume because skip/rew and pause don't apply when on a call.....so left s/b end call, click should mute, etc. I'd even like the left/right let me scroll through the contact phone #'s that pop up after using a voice command with multiple options. I like steering wheel controls over touchscreen when I'm driving (when possible)....

My intent on this thread was intended to be more for what we know or heard and less what we just want :)

Reactions: fiatlux
I’m more referring to the capabilities of the media interface than the UI. My Mustang could play songs from my iPhone via a USB connection and I could browse artists/songs/playlists in the touch screen and even issue voice commands to Sync to play specific content on my iPhone. The Model 3 can’t do any of this with a USB connected phone or iPod.

Now that I’m on the subject of voice commands, my Mustang allowed me to change the HVAC temperature via voice as well. Elon says we’ll be getting more voice commands, hopefully version 9 will bring this.
I see! Voice commands are amazing for me. I have a French accent and google voice is so good compared to Siri. I heard similar comments from a friend who is Russian. Siri is just terrible with foreign accents.

.. so navigation is a massive improvement for me (not to mention: not being forced to use Apple maps)

On the music side it’s not quite as good as CarPlay.. I definely agree. Spotify support would be nice.

This. If you want to showcase the product to those who aren't entirely convinced, you have to let them see the most refined product with the best user experience. That's what we currently have.

V9 may have some more features, but the user experience with them is likely to be rougher. The people who have not bought EAP at this point are those who want to be convinced that it's past the "gimmick" stage and into the "functionally useful" stage.
+1. That is also likely why the beta period is a fixed 14 day period which is the same for everyone. And not something that can be started individually from the car.

They want to be sure everyone has finished their beta period by the time v9 is released. A good experience with v8 as well as some news about how awesome v9 will be, is most likely making a few people buy it.

Reactions: insaneoctane
+1. That is also likely why the beta period is a fixed 14 day period which is the same for everyone. And not something that can be started individually from the car.

They want to be sure everyone has finished their beta period by the time v9 is released. A good experience with v8 as well as some news about how awesome v9 will be, is most likely making a few people buy it.

I doubt it's fixed time period (e.g. from Aug 1 through 15). To this point, very few will get v9 in August. S/x will get v9 in September end if all is well. 3 will get it soon after. I really doubt 3 will get it same time as s/x.

That was already widely reported in some detail-

Tesla is adding classic Atari games to its cars

You use the cars steering wheel to play Pole Position for example.

Every hour of development time they waste with stupid games is an hour they could have spent developing CarPlay or some other mirroring protocol.
Then you can put whatever game or whatever on your phone and mirror it on the car display. And other people can put whatever they want was well.
There is no way Tesla has the resources to make every app that someone may want on the car, so why not just make a way for your phone to take up the slack? Then you have the entire app store available to you, with all the third-party developers that can make apps Tesla would never have thought of.

Every hour of development time they waste with stupid games is an hour they could have spent developing CarPlay or some other mirroring protocol.
Then you can put whatever game or whatever on your phone and mirror it on the car display. And other people can put whatever they want was well.
There is no way Tesla has the resources to make every app that someone may want on the car, so why not just make a way for your phone to take up the slack? Then you have the entire app store available to you, with all the third-party developers that can make apps Tesla would never have thought of.

I'm right there with you. However, Anytime you want to drive away engineering talent, do it by forcing everyone to do assigned work all the time. I expect these games are part of some sort of innovation or do whatever you want during business hours type of deliverable.

Implementing Car Play is actually pretty trivial for them to do.

The main reasons they would choose not to do it is strategic/branding being one (they refuse to give up any of the in car infotainment experience to Apple/Google who are their competitors) and Apple/Google requiring that you turn over the vehicle display to them (I believe the whole display) being the other one.

I would love to see Carplay arrive on Tesla vehicle and perhaps it will some day happen, it should be quite doable if Apple would allow CarPlay to be shown in a windowed mode.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I would surmise the reason is they want to control the ecosystem, like Apple. Anytime you open your system to outside developers, it is a security/stability risk. To what extent, I have no idea since I have no insight into their infrastructure.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Implementing Car Play is actually pretty trivial for them to do.

The main reasons they would choose not to do it is strategic/branding being one (they refuse to give up any of the in car infotainment experience to Apple/Google who are their competitors) and Apple/Google requiring that you turn over the vehicle display to them (I believe the whole display) being the other one.

I would love to see Carplay arrive on Tesla vehicle and perhaps it will some day happen, it should be quite doable if Apple would allow CarPlay to be shown in a windowed mode.

I believe CarPlay can run in windowed mode because it does so on my 2017 BMW X5 (3/4 of the screen is Carplay, the other 1/3 is for BMW widgets).

I believe CarPlay can run in windowed mode because it does so on my 2017 BMW X5 (3/4 of the screen is Carplay, the other 1/3 is for BMW widgets).

That might be a relatively new change then. Historically Carplay needed to run on the entire screen and you needed to exit out of CarPlay to see the vehicle infotainment stuff.

I still don't see Tesla caving in on this as they want to control the car infotainment experience..... and eventually even sell you things like "Tesla Music" subscriptions.

That might be a relatively new change then. Historically Carplay needed to run on the entire screen and you needed to exit out of CarPlay to see the vehicle infotainment stuff.

I still don't see Tesla caving in on this as they want to control the car infotainment experience..... and eventually even sell you things like "Tesla Music" subscriptions.
I'm with you on this stuff.
the audio interface/capability is the weakest link in the whole thing.
Not being able to randomize USB tracks or not create playlists is just crazy.
But I definitely don't want that huge display turned over to a fisher price type CarPlay display like a Honda or Volvo.