Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware version stuck at 2020.39.xxx on my 2021 MY.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked the 2021 car on 10/18 and firmware is on 2020.39.xxxx. I did configure wifi connection on it and also picked 'advanced' in firmware updates... But never received any update so far. Model 3 parked next to it received all latest versions..

How much are you driving it? If it is just sitting there and parked, you may not get updates that often unless they are critical. In that case, take it out for a spin and that sometimes helps to get it in the update queue. With this CV-19 and working from home, mine is sitting in the garage a lot and is not getting updates as quickly as others, but I've found that taking it out for a run every lunch time seems to solve that issue for me and I get update notices soon after.

Reactions: gunthermic
How much are you driving it? If it is just sitting there and parked, you may not get updates that often unless they are critical. In that case, take it out for a spin and that sometimes helps to get it in the update queue. With this CV-19 and working from home, mine is sitting in the garage a lot and is not getting updates as quickly as others, but I've found that taking it out for a run every lunch time seems to solve that issue for me and I get update notices soon after.

It has absolutely nothing to do with taking it out for a drive. In fact my wife drives the new MY about 85 miles a day for past 10 days or so since we got it. It has close to 1000 miles already. Also the M3 has been sitting in the garage for close to 8 days without being driven. It got 2 software updates in past 5 days back to back. That clearly proves driving a car everyday has nothing to do with firmware updates.. Its most likely got to do with the sequence its rolled out to.. Older cars get earlier than later year cars.

Turn off “Keep Climate On” to off as its in the book that no update will download with this on, also remove the Dashcam memory card for now, usually this fixes it.

B38E143D-AA08-4768-8BC0-39C9158B352D.jpeg

And Last, go to your Tesla App, service software and they should send you a hit within 4 hours, make sure you have at least 3 WiFi bars, use your 2.4ghz since that signal carries further. If you have a strong 5 bars then use your 5ghz so it downloads faster.

Go to your web browser and enter Speedtest.net and select a server in your area, then run a speed test.

Fred

No issues updating my model 3 & model Y in the garage. You shouldn’t have to drive it anywhere.

I use an older router as a repeater to get stronger WiFi signal into the drive way and garage area. Then I have both cars logged onto that router.

Fred

Note: that my Model Y came with that Generic firmware as they all normally do and once I got home.. probably 4 hours later I updated. You need to make sure you have strong WiFi signal for it to see it, go to a friends or relatives house and try there.

One last tip that works for me, tap on the Safety & Security tab on the screen and then quickly tap on Software, do this a few times until it grabs it, you will see it searching.

Fred