Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 1/4 mile time slip for P3D? 1.84 60 foot times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 1:21 they show the time slip. Two P3Ds, 11.7 and 11.8. 60 foot times 1.84 and 1.85. Talk about consistent, and likely easy to replicate. People will figure out how to get these to launch a little harder, we will end up seeing 11.5s out of the P3D and before it's over someone will end up with a 10.99 with mods.

Source:

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
I wish it was easy to modify a Tesla, but it's a different technology. Changing tires to drag radials or slicks won't improve your 0-60 or 1/4 mile time more than a tenth of a second. Unfortunately, we won't see seeing a P3D running any lower than a 11.4. What does make a difference is for SOC. The sweet spot on the P85D and P100D is 88%-93%. My best times have been in that range, which is counter intuitive because you would think 100% or 99% would give you the best time, but in real world drag racing it does not.

I wish it was easy to modify a Tesla, but it's a different technology. Changing tires to drag radials or slicks won't improve your 0-60 or 1/4 mile time more than a tenth of a second. Unfortunately, we won't see seeing a P3D running any lower than a 11.4. What does make a difference is for SOC. The sweet spot on the P85D and P100D is 88%-93%. My best times have been in that range, which is counter intuitive because you would think 100% or 99% would give you the best time, but in real world drag racing it does not.

Yeah the launch is kind of weak. This could be a low 11 sec car with 1.5-1.6'

Wait reduction? And hopefully a future launch mode or ludicrous mode will help

While you are right, the P3D is going to attract the go-fast market. There will be a ton of money to be made. The hackers will come. Check back in a year =)

Reactions: Phlier and T34ME
Resurrecting this one. Ended up going to Atco dragway in NJ. My P3D- 2018 did 11.631 at 115.96. Horrible reaction time though :(.

Car did really well. Driver, not so much.

Attachments

• 773577BD-C6BB-4F66-BBD2-78E8AFC10692.jpeg
    773577BD-C6BB-4F66-BBD2-78E8AFC10692.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 187
I took my car the other day to the local 1/8th of mile. My P3D- is been getting 60' in the high 1.7sec consistently. I run 4 passes starting at 95% SOC my fastest one was the last one at 92% SOC:

View attachment 435046
Interesting comparison. My 1/8 mph was slightly higher. I wonder what your car would have done in 1/4. I saw a bunch of YouTube videos that showed people in the 11.7/11.8 range with the P+. I have the stock 18” all seasons and have better numbers. Most of those videos may have been before the 5% increase in performance (firmware) so I’m wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Interesting comparison. My 1/8 mph was slightly higher. I wonder what your car would have done in 1/4. I saw a bunch of YouTube videos that showed people in the 11.7/11.8 range with the P+. I have the stock 18” all seasons and have better numbers. Most of those videos may have been before the 5% increase in performance (firmware) so I’m wondering if it has anything to do with it.

the car isn't traction limited, so the larger, heavier, wheels on the + are a disadvantage in drag racing despite having stickier tires on them.

Reactions: MagnusMako
the car isn't traction limited, so the larger, heavier, wheels on the + are a disadvantage in drag racing despite having stickier tires on them.
I would have thought those wheels were lighter actually because of how prone they are to being bent/damaged.

Also. Is noticed (not at the track) that track mode is probably not good for drag racing but, one question I have is, would 1/4 mile do better with slip start engaged? I had slip start turned off.

I would have thought those wheels were lighter actually because of how prone they are to being bent/damaged.

Also. Is noticed (not at the track) that track mode is probably not good for drag racing but, one question I have is, would 1/4 mile do better with slip start engaged? I had slip start turned off.

The 20s get damaged easier because there's much less sidewall on the lower profile tire. They're very much heavier wheels though.

Not sure if I've seen any slip start 1/4 mile testing but IIRC it didn't help folks doing 0-60 testing when they tried it

The 20s get damaged easier because there's much less sidewall on the lower profile tire. They're very much heavier wheels though.

Not sure if I've seen any slip start 1/4 mile testing but IIRC it didn't help folks doing 0-60 testing when they tried it
Understood. So one last question. Higher or lower psi for drag racing? I had about 45-46 psi at the time. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

On street radials you probably won't see any benefit from running anything but proper inflation- but feel free to play around a bit in the 40-45 range to see what "proper" really is :)

Drag radials and slicks can often benefit from lower pressures- but that's on cars that have traction limitations on street tires- and the model 3 does not.

Higher or lower psi for drag racing?

To the extent it slightly reduces your effective tire diameter, lower pressures might help a little bit. On the 0-60, lower diameter likely helps, but once you are doing runs where you are getting to very high speeds it might start to hurt due to being slightly further off the power peak. You’d have to do the math.