Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 100+ mile trip M3S+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Took my first long distance trip from San Diego to Norwalk Ca., total miles was 120 miles each way. Kept it at 65 mph or under heading up just to see how things were, I’m a very efficient driver coming from a 2011 Nissan Leaf and a 2016 Chevy Volt, so I do know how to stretch those miles..I arrived and was surprised how dead on the Nav station was, I also maintained that Mi/hr down to 216 on this leg of the trip. I think I read somewhere here to keep that mi/hr number under 250. Once at Norwalk I plugged into a Supercharger which gave me 53kw. I still had 120 miles left from the 240 miles I had when I left the house. A quick 30 minute charge took me to 230 miles and on the way back down to San Diego After visiting Moon Eyes. I kept the speed at 75 mph heading home and still had 100 miles left to spare when I arrived. This trip made me realize how amazingly accurate the Nav station is from point A to B. No range anxiety here and with plenty of Supercharger along the way I can stop for a quick charge if I need it.

Now I can plan my trip to Las Vegas, only 2 stops from San Diego, one stop in Rancho Cucamonga 123 miles and then Baker 133 miles before heading into Vegas which is around 94 miles. Going to be a fun trip and one that will allow me to feel confident and know I can go anywhere with this car.

One last note, I did not use the Aero Hub Caps on this trip, I will have them on during the Las Vegas trip which I will film and post on YouTube. Also the Moon Eye Discs are $125.00 each and not for a set of 4. So I declined that order and told them to add “Each” on their website.

Fred

A2B190A6-C06F-4312-8AC7-39C083587828.jpeg

It's a completely different animal compared to leaf range right? Glad it worked out for you. LR RWD had made those trips skip superchargers altogether from SD trips. Also I made it from Yorba Linda to Vegas with 0 stops and about 40 miles to spare going on average 75 miles in a LR RWD w/o aero caps. Amazing how efficient the Model 3 is. Highly recommend the LR RWD for anyone in CA who makes Vegas or LA to SD trips frequently. Superchargers are there but the freedom to skip them if you please is liberating.

Took my first long distance trip from San Diego to Norwalk Ca., total miles was 120 miles each way. Kept it at 65 mph or under heading up just to see how things were, I’m a very efficient driver coming from a 2011 Nissan Leaf and a 2016 Chevy Volt, so I do know how to stretch those miles..I arrived and was surprised how dead on the Nav station was, I also maintained that Mi/hr down to 216 on this leg of the trip. I think I read somewhere here to keep that mi/hr number under 250. Once at Norwalk I plugged into a Supercharger which gave me 53kw. I still had 120 miles left from the 240 miles I had when I left the house. A quick 30 minute charge took me to 230 miles and on the way back down to San Diego After visiting Moon Eyes. I kept the speed at 75 mph heading home and still had 100 miles left to spare when I arrived. This trip made me realize how amazingly accurate the Nav station is from point A to B. No range anxiety here and with plenty of Supercharger along the way I can stop for a quick charge if I need it.

Now I can plan my trip to Las Vegas, only 2 stops from San Diego, one stop in Rancho Cucamonga 123 miles and then Baker 133 miles before heading into Vegas which is around 94 miles. Going to be a fun trip and one that will allow me to feel confident and know I can go anywhere with this car.

One last note, I did not use the Aero Hub Caps on this trip, I will have them on during the Las Vegas trip which I will film and post on YouTube. Also the Moon Eye Discs are $125.00 each and not for a set of 4. So I declined that order and told them to add “Each” on their website.

Fred

View attachment 399086

Car looks great in that photo with the palm btw. So glad you had a good first trip and shared your experience. Lots of new owners to Tesla and Model 3 who have yet to drive long distance and use the Nav and superchargers along the way so sure they will benefit from your comments. We've only used Tesla's Nav when traveling down the State but there are other nav apps you might want to check out that calculate based on car's speed, wind direction and altitude changes.

Fred

View attachment 399086
I'd be interested to see a better pic of those wheels without the aero covers.

Did a similar trip from Fremont down to Pismo Beach in a SR+. Stopped by Salinas and SLO to charge and it was so much fun! Trying to take it down to Socal/ OC next!

I think it's fun to stop; and enjoy checking out restaurants we might have otherwise passed by. Even found some great places that I look forward to stopping at again on future trips.

This is a mod I did by replacing the Frunk structs to the 100Lbs ones, waiting for the rear trunk structs and springs to arrive to get the rear trunk to auto open on its own. i1Tesla posted the YouTube videos on what parts to get and how to install, great channel to subscribe to as he has lots of good videos to see.