TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

First 1000 miles

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mobius484, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mobius484

Mobius484 Member

Have spent the last 10 days in my new Model S. Here are my impressions, however I may have to explain where I am coming from:
    I have been driving a 2008 Subaru XT as an all wheel drive car is essential to my needs. I have driven BMW before, and was eventually going to buy a "nice car" for myself, and was thinking BMW/Audi. I love driving, and have always preferred the car as method of travel. I have logged miles in all lower 48 states, extensively exploring the last 20 years. I have been following electric cars, space X, Tesla for the last few years, and finally came to the point that I would never buy a new car unless it is a Tesla, or electric car. I am a practicing er doc, and have wife and 3 kids 2, 4, 5. This was more money than I ever planned on spending on a car, for what its worth, but ultimately figured if I was going to get a "nice car", why not!!!??!! there are so many factors that went into this for me but that is beyond the scope of this post. For 95% of my driving needs I can do in this car. I work odd hours, and often do pick up and drop off of my kids to school, my work commute is 2 miles. I live in North Idaho, and do lots of road trips with myself and family. mostly skiing and fishing/hiking. I got my 90D and I will never go back to an ICE vehicle for my general driving needs. I can fit my whole family of 5 in this car, and still have plenty of space for packing, as I have a fine tuned regimen already in place for road/camping trips.
    The last 10 days have been between -4 and 25 deg F. Road conditions have been at their worst. I have snow tires, and much experience with winter driving. I have been more than impressed with the handling of the car, and I have driven terrible conditions this last week. I made the trip to Schweitzer mountain ski resort twice, with multiple trips up and down the mountain road. I have read the blogs on this forum on winter driving, and am very thankful for the staff at Schweitzer for having destination charging. Despite the cold weather, I have plenty of range for my needs, but am learning the ins and outs of driving an EV. I love the regenerative braking, and one pedal driving the most, it is so satisfying, and silky smooth when done right. With planning I think I will be able to make the range work in most situations. I have been lucky and thus far don't find any issues with the fit and finish, it is far better than my other cars. I guess compared to a nice foreign car it could be better, but thats not the reason I pulled the trigger on this car. It is simply the most innovative vehicle ever made, and frankly, the most gorgeous vehicle I have seen in a long time. I have been floored with the performance, and the glass roof is unbelievable in opening up the feel of the car, even though it is heavily tinted, I am looking forward to sunnier weather and mountain driving. I can fit all three of my kids car seats in the back. I have been tinkering with the climate controls, and have figured out a routine for handling defrosting/defogging the front, although the back windows when there are kids in the back do fog up, although I will experiment with some running 11 on the fans. I think this is a problem in most cars though. It is awesome to have a warm toasty spaceship to board in the morning for work. The quiet allows for meditation and family conversations. I do like the sound of the whine from the front motor, sounds like I'm engaging the flux capacitor. I am looking forward to getting the AP software, but not living in a city, makes it less "essential" to me. I think the Ultra premium sound could be better, probably just better speakers would help, but I am spoiled by B&W home setup. I like the cold weather option for passengers in the back in cold weather, my 4 and 5 year old love to call out their heating option. The new premium seats are pretty sweet, I had black perforated leather in my subi so know its pitfalls with getting stuff stuck in holes. I have always taken good care of my cars, and frequent vacuuming is essential for any car. Looking forward to camping in the back with the seats down, just need to rig something to ramp the bump with the back seats folded. I find that all i want to do is drive it. Damn it work! Good thing I can fit my family in there.... :) Thanks for all your help, as I have trolled this forum for a while, and your experiences have helped me prepare for this experience. I look forward to some warmer drier pavement, and many more miles in this amazing vehicle.

• Like x 3
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Welcome to the club! :)

As it happens I just passed 1,000 miles on the S I picked up on the 22nd. Loving it! This BTW, is one I got after trading in my first S after 18 months and 30,000 miles (traded to get the v2 hardware).

Sounds like you're loving yours and I'm not surprised. You've got to look pretty hard to find the unfortunate few Tesla owners that have serious problems.

Ok, gotta go. The car has spent the last half hour downloading the latest firmware update (over the air updates are just one of the many features us Tesla owners enjoy). Now it's time to install the update and see what new features I get to enjoy.

• Like x 1