Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like they'll retool freemont in December and January and have Austin carry the load for a bit. I wonder if I should push my delivery. My EDD is November. I really want the new headlight on my LR but I don't want the new seat design from Europe. I ordered an MYLR White on White 5 seater, no hitch. I wonder if tesla will allow us to purchase the new headlights in the future and ensure that we can get updates for when the time comes for directional light functions. Sigh. Problems. Lol.
Since Tesla's are not made to customer order, are shipped regionally, divided up and VINs matched at the destination, Austin MDYs will head east while Fremont MDYs head west.

It does not make sense to me MYP and MYLR cars being built at different plants. You're not maximizing your assets properly, both at the assembly line and transport costs.

It not what I want, but current actions, Q3 statements, and delivery shifts 1+ months forward point to a shutdown and retooling somewhat coinciding with Austin startup. From Tesla's viewpoint, matching the 2022 VIN with MDY 2.0, is a complimentary event, that puts Tesla even further ahead when the EV market goes ballistic next year.

Another first-world problem.
😉

Reactions: K-Fresh and impastu
Since Tesla's are not made to customer order, are shipped regionally, divided up and VINs matched at the destination, Austin MDYs will head east while Fremont MDYs head west.

It does not make sense to me MYP and MYLR cars being built at different plants. You're not maximizing your assets properly, both at the assembly line and transport costs.
Seeing as Fremont is only about 30 miles from the Pacific Ocean, I think most of their Model Y production will actually go east, not west. ;)

Reactions: Tabor and impastu
Agree. I dont need a car until Jan so looked into delaying until then. The issue is depending on who you ask the answer changes. One advisor said I would go to back of the line and another said no promises but maybe I would be in the middle .
I was told by my SA that once you release the hold, you get the next available VIN that matches your configuration.

I was told by my SA that once you release the hold, you get the next available VIN that matches your configuration.
Not my experience as I wrote above. And many others have reported a similar experience to mine. I think that there is no company-wide procedure that the SAs follow, so it depends on which SA or regional team of SAs you're dealing with.

To me this is not an issue of "who's right" about the policy. The only reason I posted about it is to caution anyone who thinks there will be no negative consequence of going on hold.

Not my experience as I wrote above. And many others have reported a similar experience to mine. I think that there is no company-wide procedure that the SAs follow, so it depends on which SA or regional team of SAs you're dealing with.

To me this is not an issue of "who's right" about the policy. The only reason I posted about it is to caution anyone who thinks there will be no negative consequence of going on hold.
The same thing happened to me I order my MY in May then I put a hold until July 25. I have not been assigned a VIN yet and my edd keeps changing now 11/11-12/9. This delivery system sucks!

This didn't happen for me either. I ordered in Feburary, released the hold in early Sept. And now am looking at an early Feb 2022 EDD window.

Reactions: K-Fresh and impastu
I think there could be no company wide "Hold" policy for a reason, and a valid one.

Basically, it's simple supply and demand at a small regional or individual delivery center. Buyers are assigned VINs at the delivery center based on what's delivered and where you stand in line. A slow delivery center can certainly hold your car a longer period of time than a hot one. Especially true if there is no one in line for your configuration. With MD3 & MDY deliveries out through next summer, Tesla has zero incentive to accumulate any cost of holding a vehicle for us.

One more thought...
Woe be anyone wanting to hold a vehicle crossing an end-of-quater date.
It's back of the line for sure, for you.

Reactions: SigNC and impastu
I think that there is a difference between putting an order on hold vs rejecting a vin. It seems that putting an order on hold and then releasing it puts you at the end of the queue on the date of the release. It is as if you just placed a new order. On the other hand, rejecting a VIN when you are assigned one seems to put you you back in line, waiting for the next released VIN that matches the configuration you ordered. Not sure if I'm correct but this seems to track with many of the postings I have read on these forums.

I think that there is a difference between putting an order on hold vs rejecting a vin. It seems that putting an order on hold and then releasing it puts you at the end of the queue on the date of the release. It is as if you just placed a new order. On the other hand, rejecting a VIN when you are assigned one seems to put you you back in line, waiting for the next released VIN that matches the configuration you ordered. Not sure if I'm correct but this seems to track with many of the postings I have read on these forums.
This sounds like what the last SA told me. I told her I didn’t really want to go on hold, just that I wanted to reject this VIN because I wasn’t ready yet. I still needed to get stuff together. She said if I didn’t go on hold, then there’s a high probability I could get matched again in a few days. If I didn’t think I’d be ready in a few days, she advised going on hold. I don’t think Tesla would like it if I kept rejecting VINs. So I put it on hold for just a couple weeks, and I ended up releasing the hold early. Now my EDD is about two months later than my original.

I expect that Tesla may let someone reject one VIN or maybe a second, but I doubt they would let someone keep rejecting VINs indefinitely to push back delivery. That is what a hold is for.
This was my journey for a M3P. Could be different for a MY, but likely not much.

7/24 - Ordered and filled out all information but immediately put on hold to lock price
9/1 - Clicked "I'm Ready" when delivery times said "October"
9/4 - Received Vin with EDD of 9/15 to 9/23
9/10 - Rejected Vin due to current car(Alfa Romeo) having new issues and unable to sell but put order on hold
10/4 - Clicked "I'm Ready" when delivery times said "November"
10/8 - Received VIN with EDD of 10/17 to 10/23
10/21 - Scheduled Delivery date

I didn't appear to go to the back of the line when I reordered, but there's a lot of variables that go into it, so don't expect yours to mirror mine. Performance models are prioritized, your geographic location, and completion of profile all can play a part.

Last edited:
Similar experience to @DfwGuy
  • 6/18 - Ordered - Filled out all information
  • 9/14 - Received VIN #1 - delivery scheduled 9/23-9/25
  • 9/15 - Hold until 9/27 - rejected VIN due to travelling/unable to take delivery within window
    • 9/27 - Hold released
  • 10/8 - Received VIN #2 - delivery scheduled 10/14-10/17
  • 10/11 - Hold until 10/31 - rejected VIN to wait for EV tax credit update/vote
Insights
  • Passed on VIN received at end of Q3 and put on Hold until Q4 delivery - Reassigned VIN within 1.5 weeks after Hold released
    • I wasn't pushed to the end of the line despite putting on Hold, spanning quarters, and received a 2nd VIN quickly after releasing
    • I believe putting on Hold before receiving a VIN and after receiving a VIN are treated very differently

Similar experience to @DfwGuy
  • 6/18 - Ordered - Filled out all information
  • 9/14 - Received VIN #1 - delivery scheduled 9/23-9/25
  • 9/15- Hold until 9/27 - rejected VIN due to travelling/unable to take delivery within window
    • 9/27 - Hold released
  • 10/8 - Received VIN #2 - delivery scheduled 10/14-10/17
  • 10/11 - Hold until 10/31 - rejected VIN to wait for EV tax credit update/vote
Insights
  • Passed on VIN received at end of Q3 and put on Hold until Q4 delivery - Reassigned VIN within 1.5 weeks after Hold released
    • I wasn't pushed to the end of the line despite putting on Hold, spanning quarters, and received a 2nd VIN quickly after releasing
    • I believe putting on Hold before receiving a VIN and after receiving a VIN are treated very differently