Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man, I did not know that. But I did go test drive ready to place my order afterwards. I was going to do it at home since I had a referral link I was using. I asked if I can still order using the referral link and he said yes so I proceeded. Sorry to hear that that happened with you. It sounds like you ordered the same as I did, except for the FSD, which I did NOT get.
It's all good bro! I'm excited for everyone getting theirs. Ive just honestly been without a car for a few months now. I forgot the struggle commuting around when I can't use my bike lol. At this rate I don't even care if it's not a 2022 vin. I just want the car loooool

Reactions: OmarL and impastu
should I let my sales know I want to hold the car delivery untill 2022?
I understand your point of not wanting the 'last' of the '21 VINs. However, just think of the logistical nightmare if hundreds, thousands of 'us' would do that. Plus, my EDD is Jan 4-Feb 1 so I don't want your VIN...assuming/hoping that Jan 1st the VINs will change over to '22. But you know what they say about assuming and hoping. I'd guess my VIN will come the last week in Dec, allowing for shipping time;). OD 9/8

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
Maybe prolonged 2021 VINs delivery has a positive impact on 2021 fiscal revenue. Maybe the earnings numbers are tied to the year of the Vin. Otherwise I am not sure why they would hold 2022 VINs. If that makes sense! I just refused delivery and on hold until Nov 17.

Reactions: impastu
It's all good bro! I'm excited for everyone getting theirs. Ive just honestly been without a car for a few months now. I forgot the struggle commuting around when I can't use my bike lol. At this rate I don't even care if it's not a 2022 vin. I just want the car loooool
@Mackygio thats exactly how I felt. I dont care about the tax credit, i dont care if its 2021, as long as it’s new lol. Just give me my tesla. Sure, it would be nice to have 2022 VIN and tax credit, but eh. I have the money to get the car now so let’s go!

i don't give any hope now
considering the recent price increase on model y LR, i will treat it like a discount to get the last batch of 2021 model in the end of year 2021

my EDD is now in Nov. I will be happy to get the car soon. but don't mind at all if it gets pushed to 2022.
@canada thats a good way of thinking about it. I didn’t consider that but now I feel much better after reading this lol. I’ll feel much much better when I drive home with it on Monday!

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
Earlier today I made the executive decision to put my MYP order placed 9/22 on HOLD until January 2022. My EDD as of now was Nov-Dec. Several reasons with one being I really want a "2022" stamp. A secondary push was that my TSportline wheels are still backordered from ordering in September and also the Vredenstein tires I have on order are backordered until the end of December 2021. I can't roll around on summer tires here in December. Plus, if the EV tax credits pass, thats $7500 extra I can extract by exempting Fed tax from paychecks for a quick bit. Not counting on that, but a possible bonus.

I'll still be checking out the boards to see how things are moving along. Best of luck to everyone getting there Y's! :)

PSA Bros and ladies: My SA just confirmed that people who placed their orders on 10/15 and beyond are only getting 30 days of premium connectivity. After those 30 days they have to pay. Everybody who placed order before that date is getting a full year!
Pure luck I placed my order on 9/8. Didn't hear of the notice to change it fm a yr to 1 mo until the new order peeps posted. Will be curious to see if I do actually get a full yr for 'free' and there's no hiccup in the 'software'. Although I've read numerous peeps that after the 'free' period ended, they opted not to continue the premium connectivity. Guess it's a personal choice and I'll just wait and see what the real difference is vice just reading what the difference is.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
Pure luck I placed my order on 9/8. Didn't hear of the notice to change it fm a yr to 1 mo until the new order peeps posted. Will be curious to see if I do actually get a full yr for 'free' and there's no hiccup in the 'software'. Although I've read numerous peeps that after the 'free' period ended, they opted not to continue the premium connectivity. Guess it's a personal choice and I'll just wait and see what the real difference is vice just reading what the difference is.

Sounds to me like the big draw for premium connectivity now will be the ability to view footage from the cameras from your iPhone. Could be worth it…

With November around the corner will be interesting to see if we start getting the 2022 VINs ...though not hopeful it will come with enhancements...my gut feel is the price increase is to accomodate for the new battery pack and front and rear body castings...so for people who paid the price before the October increase will be the last ones getting 2170s....

With November around the corner will be interesting to see if we start getting the 2022 VINs ...though not hopeful it will come with enhancements...my gut feel is the price increase is to accomodate for the new battery pack and front and rear body castings...so for people who paid the price before the October increase will be the last ones getting 2170s....
It’s still 2021 VINs. 4680 cells are still a while out from mass production, especially for deliveries to Canada.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 9.03.03 AM.png
2022 cover letter request is there. A lot more changes were bundled than just a model year change over.

Cover Letter​

To whom it may concern,
Attached to the form is the Tesla, Inc submission for the MY2022 VIN decoder. Below are the changes from the MY2021 decoder:
Digit 1-3: New “7SA” WMI for Tesla MPVs
Digit 8: Remove "1", "2", "3", "4" motor configurations no longer in production
Digit 10: Add "N" for MY2022
Digit 11: Add "A" for Austin, Texas factory

Thank you,
Derek Yam