Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
Tesla doesn’t usually make changes based on model year. They pick a date and start implementing whatever change they’re making from that date forward. Doesn’t necessarily happen in Sept/Oct
I think everyone here is interested in getting a 2022 VIN primarily for resale value, since this is still how people search for used cars. I think most people (in this thread) know that Tesla rolls out updates on a rolling basis and don't expect a bunch of updates with the rollover from 2021 to 2022 models

I ordered my M3 LR AWD a few days ago and requested that it not be delivered until assigned a 2022 VIN. The advisor told me they put the information in the account for the delivery team and that I would be put on the list and if the 2022 VINs were not out when my car came then they would make that delivery ineligible and I get the next one, etc. But, I will certainly check for 2022 VIN when I finally receive the VIN when the car is ready to confirm. It's too close to 2022 to get a 2021 at this point.

Reactions: PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I ordered my M3 LR AWD a few days ago and requested that it not be delivered until assigned a 2022 VIN. The advisor told me they put the information in the account for the delivery team and that I would be put on the list and if the 2022 VINs were not out when my car came then they would make that delivery ineligible and I get the next one, etc. But, I will certainly check for 2022 VIN when I finally receive the VIN when the car is ready to confirm. It's too close to 2022 to get a 2021 at this point.
I may do the same thing, I have an EDD of 10/7-10/20 and I was hoping we would see 22' VINs in the wild by now.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I’d be interested in seeing the mfr. date for VINs being assigned/delivered. Tesla has a bunch of cars that were already produced in Q3 (with 21’ VINs) and are now being delivered.

Last year, cars with a mfr. date of 10/5 were assigned the new year VIN. This means that people wouldn’t start receiving those 10/5 mfr. date cars until 1-2 weeks(?) afterwards. Employees usually get some time off in the beginning of a quarter after the hectic EoQ push so I’m not sure if Q4 production has even started yet.

Reactions: jebinc

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC