Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Total conjecture but it could be that they need to use up older parts that are going to be updated for the new model year, like the interior front door panels. MIC MYs seem to have the updated door panels with the trim that matches the dash, like the 2021 M3s. Another guess is that they will flip the switch when MY production moves from Fremont to Austin. Who knows. Personally, I don't care about the model year but I would like to have the new front door panels so that my MYLR matches my 2021 M3LR.

This video is from the Berlin factory party with a tour of the new factory. You have to think everything they’re showing will be the new updates. No point in training the new machines for old parts if it’s not operational until end of year. The clear things are single cast front and/or rear(not too sure), structural battery pack, new projector headlamps, and 4680 battery cells. They still showed coilover suspension, so don’t expect air-ride. They also showed potential new seats that have more side support, but still didn’t appear to be perforated for ventilation. They’ll likely keep that for the S and X. Let me know if you see anything else.

Reactions: shaundidrake
Total conjecture but it could be that they need to use up older parts that are going to be updated for the new model year, like the interior front door panels. MIC MYs seem to have the updated door panels with the trim that matches the dash, like the 2021 M3s. Another guess is that they will flip the switch when MY production moves from Fremont to Austin. Who knows. Personally, I don't care about the model year but I would like to have the new front door panels so that my MYLR matches my 2021 M3LR.
This can be very true. Europe already uses the changeover design. I'm in the other boat though since I'm getting the MYLR in white seats. The updated design in white takes away the leather off the doors and replaces it with black felt. For me it kind of kills the feel and look. The one thing though is, if they update it with the newer design that means the LR will get the new headlights like on all the 3s and the MYP. It sucks that I'll be missing out on that new headlight. I would love the projector and the future updates that'll come to it. Active headlights is safer for everyone. But it sucks that the laws have not updated in the US which unfortunately affects Canadians like myself north of the border.

Question - if I were to put the order on hold, do I get thrown to the back of the line or not?
With MDY orders backed up to April, that is becoming more and more the true case. Also, you may have to cancel and re-order at new price.

IDK for sure. I'm playing the hand I was dealt in July. Be careful when changing orders and get the truth.

Got a VIN for MYLR yesterday (10/11), still showing 2021 “M” VIN. Debating whether I should reject and push delivery back for a couple months.

Question - if I were to put the order on hold, do I get thrown to the back of the line or not?
With the current demand and delays I think the safest thing to do is just accept delivery and then if some big change happens order another one in 3-6 months and hope to accept delivery in 6-12 months. Then sell for breakeven (or better) and get the latest greatest. The only reason to delay orders at this point that I find totally valid is if you want to get the tax credit. But since that hasn’t formally passed you may end up going through a ton of waiting for nothing. Some MYLR buyers were pushed out an extra 3 months yesterday. So, I’d be very careful about putting orders on hold. We are all in diff situations, if the timing means nothing and you’re okay adding many months of waiting then yeah, probably best to put a hold on.

In the beginning of this process I was considering delaying until at least seeing what the vote would be, but seeing the resale value and losing patience/gaining excitement I will now take delivery in a heartbeat. If I find sometime in 2022 that I want to get an updated version I can order and wait. Good luck.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Got a VIN for MYLR yesterday (10/11), still showing 2021 “M” VIN. Debating whether I should reject and push delivery back for a couple months.

I spoke to a SA yesterday and asked the same question. He estimated 1-3 months for another match. That sounds ok, but not April!

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
The first 2022 Model S VIN has been reported; so it has started!!!!!

"Yeah. Friday at 0830. Vin NF101"
Where did you see this reported?

I just saw this posted in the CA Waiting Room thread which shows a few things:
  1. MYs w/ MFG date as recently as 10/10 are still 2021 VIN
  2. VINs are wonky as I've seen a MF297XXX VIN reported today and this MF286XXX was produced just 2 days ago. I received a MF286XXX VIN on 10/7!
427422e5-e681-425e-a2a8-d7138c51b534-jpeg.720678

Reactions: Paul8810
Where did you see this reported?

I just saw this posted in the CA Waiting Room thread which shows a few things:
  1. MYs w/ MFG date as recently as 10/10 are still 2021 VIN
  2. VINs are wonky as I've seen a MF297XXX VIN reported today and this MF286XXX was produced just 2 days ago. I received a MF286XXX VIN on 10/7!
427422e5-e681-425e-a2a8-d7138c51b534-jpeg.720678
In that large MS delivery thread that’s 3500 pages long.

Reactions: eksigned