Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree, when comparing equal mileage 21 vs 22 the 22 will be more valuable (this is assuming same condition)
I am thinking from a private party value. If I saw a vehicle that was a year older but had the same miles as the newer option. My thoughts would be. Okay they probably took good care of it and drove it less.

This is assuming there were no big differences though. 2022 might get some new features

I agree,
The bill, when passed would be retroactive to May, 24, 2021.
It's not. That was an old version of the bill. Not the one currently on the table.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-172944_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-172944_Drive.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Jbapckfan
What would be a better boost to value? Having a super low mile 2021 or an average/high mileage 2022?

Idk why but ik thinking a low mileage 21 would
I’d agree with you. Let’s consider:

For sale at the same price same options:

2021 with 5K miles
2022 with 25K miles

No known updates between the two model years.

My guess would be the 5K mile car sells faster and even with trade-in, would get higher value.

Can test this by getting a quote from an online dealer, but my guess is a 2020 with 5K miles would get more than a 2021 with 25K miles

Reactions: Gurule92
I’d agree with you. Let’s consider:

For sale at the same price same options:

2021 with 5K miles
2022 with 25K miles

No known updates between the two model years.

My guess would be the 5K mile car sells faster and even with trade-in, would get higher value.

Can test this by getting a quote from an online dealer, but my guess is a 2020 with 5K miles would get more than a 2021 with 25K miles
Yeah, but for the sake of the original argument we are talking about the same driver accepting delivery of a 21 or a 22…. So their mileage whenever they go to sell it is going to be the same. (I think) Gurule92 was trying to compare a 2021 with 5k miles when the average is 25k vs a 2022 with 5k miles when the average is 5k. I agree that most people looking for a used car are going to focus on the year, especially when newer Teslas typically have newer features.

My car is theoretically getting delivered today and has an M in the VIN. I agree with others who say that Tesla model years are largely irrelevant as they don’t use the model year as a reason to update the car, they just continuously update it. I suspect the lack of updates in the last few months is due to Tesla focusing on supply chain issues in the face of unprecedented demand, not because the VIN is about to tick to 2022. Tesla model years exist because you cannot register or insure a car without one.

Reactions: Ladybugn
Yeah, but for the sake of the original argument we are talking about the same driver accepting delivery of a 21 or a 22…. So their mileage whenever they go to sell it is going to be the same. (I think) Gurule92 was trying to compare a 2021 with 5k miles when the average is 25k vs a 2022 with 5k miles when the average is 5k. I agree that most people looking for a used car are going to focus on the year, especially when newer Teslas typically have newer features.
At least in my area, Tesla buyers are pretty sophisticated and smart sellers list precisely which updates the cars have, as model years aren’t granular enough to capture this. Resale value is still out of whack as 2018 Model 3s, which are significantly different than the current cars, still trade at crazy high prices. We won’t know how much of an impact model year has until the current market settles down.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
At least in my area, Tesla buyers are pretty sophisticated and smart sellers list precisely which updates the cars have, as model years aren’t granular enough to capture this. Resale value is still out of whack as 2018 Model 3s, which are significantly different than the current cars, still trade at crazy high prices. We won’t know how much of an impact model year has until the current market settles down.
If selling privately in a state where Sales tax benefit doesn't exist, maybe. If trading in to Tesla, the 2022 code gets a higher valuation, all other things being equal. Here in WA State, it rarely makes sense to sell privately as you lose the net Sales Tax benefit.

While I agree that Tesla buyers, on average, are probably more sophisticated than the typical buyer anywhere in the country, there must be some threshold where the year and mileage balance out. I’d rather have a 2021 with 5k miles than a 2022 with 30k miles…. Unless the 2022 had cooled seats or some other “important update”. Obviously this is different for every buyer. A September 2021 vs an October 2022 is going to be the same vehicle but may have a slightly different resale value depending on the buyer.

It sounded like @Gurule92 was comparing what is preferred, a 2021 with low miles vs. a 2022 with higher miles. There’s no question all else equal consumers would take a newer year if everything is the same. There’s nothing to even test in that scenario as the newer year car wins every time