Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn’t usually make changes based on model year. They pick a date and start implementing whatever change they’re making from that date forward. Doesn’t necessarily happen in Sept/Oct
I think everyone here is interested in getting a 2022 VIN primarily for resale value, since this is still how people search for used cars. I think most people (in this thread) know that Tesla rolls out updates on a rolling basis and don't expect a bunch of updates with the rollover from 2021 to 2022 models

I ordered my M3 LR AWD a few days ago and requested that it not be delivered until assigned a 2022 VIN. The advisor told me they put the information in the account for the delivery team and that I would be put on the list and if the 2022 VINs were not out when my car came then they would make that delivery ineligible and I get the next one, etc. But, I will certainly check for 2022 VIN when I finally receive the VIN when the car is ready to confirm. It's too close to 2022 to get a 2021 at this point.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I ordered my M3 LR AWD a few days ago and requested that it not be delivered until assigned a 2022 VIN. The advisor told me they put the information in the account for the delivery team and that I would be put on the list and if the 2022 VINs were not out when my car came then they would make that delivery ineligible and I get the next one, etc. But, I will certainly check for 2022 VIN when I finally receive the VIN when the car is ready to confirm. It's too close to 2022 to get a 2021 at this point.
I may do the same thing, I have an EDD of 10/7-10/20 and I was hoping we would see 22' VINs in the wild by now.

I’d be interested in seeing the mfr. date for VINs being assigned/delivered. Tesla has a bunch of cars that were already produced in Q3 (with 21’ VINs) and are now being delivered.

Last year, cars with a mfr. date of 10/5 were assigned the new year VIN. This means that people wouldn’t start receiving those 10/5 mfr. date cars until 1-2 weeks(?) afterwards. Employees usually get some time off in the beginning of a quarter after the hectic EoQ push so I’m not sure if Q4 production has even started yet.

Reactions: jebinc