Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you see this reported?

I just saw this posted in the CA Waiting Room thread which shows a few things:
  1. MYs w/ MFG date as recently as 10/10 are still 2021 VIN
  2. VINs are wonky as I've seen a MF297XXX VIN reported today and this MF286XXX was produced just 2 days ago. I received a MF286XXX VIN on 10/7!
Exactly. I think he/she/they are playing with us. Here is the original post: 2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Looks like Tesla still hasn't filed for a 2022 VIN, assuming NHTSA Manufacturer's Information Database is up to date. Last filing from Tesla was Feb 2021. It appears they may be going back to Jan 1 model year switchover.

(Source: Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID , search name 'Tesla', sort by "letter date")

Looks like Tesla still hasn't filed for a 2022 VIN, assuming NHTSA Manufacturer's Information Database is up to date. Last filing from Tesla was Feb 2021. It appears they may be going back to Jan 1 model year switchover.

(Source: Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID , search name 'Tesla', sort by "letter date")
Even for a Jan 1 switchover it looks like they need to have an amendment filed with new model year by end of Oct!

YYYAAASSSS!!!
Buddy, you didn't read the rest of the thread did you...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Even for a Jan 1 switchover it looks like they need to have an amendment filed with new model year by end of Oct!

Are you basing that off of the "Tesla has to send NHTSA a VIN decoder 60-days before the first car" rule?

I noticed when searching NHTSA via @Paul8810 method, it looks like they filed on 11/14/2017 for 2018 VIN, so I'm not sure the 60-day before requirement is correct.

Reactions: Sigma4Life

I don't believe the database is up to date. I looked at the NHTSA site as well. But if you go to the VIN Decoder I input a 2021 VIN, changed the 10th digit to "N" and also changed the 9th digit (check digit) until it was happy. 5YJYGDEF0NF. The results were a 2022 Tesla Model Y.

I then tried changing the 10th digit to "O" (and "P" for due diligence) for 2023, to see if this was just guessing the next in line and it threw an ERROR. So I think strongly that 2022 has been filed, but we aren't seeing it on the MID vPic database. It does say updated last on 4/17/21...not sure if thats the database transaction data or version though.

1634072257007.png

Last edited:

well when you look back to MY it was filed in December but we know that cars built in October had the MY 2020 designation.

1634072098772.png

I then tried changing the 10th digit to "O" for 2023, to see if this was just guessing the next in line and it threw an ERROR. So I think strongly that 2022 has been filed, but we aren't seeing it on the MID vPic database. It does say updated last on 4/17/21...not sure if thats the database transaction data or version though.
VINs don't use O or I for the year digit as it could be confused with a number. It will skip to P for 2023.

well when you look back to MY it was filed in December but we know that cars built in October had the MY 2020 designation.

View attachment 720756
If you click on the ... it says "Update to MY2020 VIN decoder to add a new carline". Which was clearly 60 days before Model Y shipped. The 2020 model year notification was filed on 7/15/2019 according to the same site.

Reactions: impastu
Anyone get a "NF" VIN yet? Getting close to October!
I ordered on 10-3 a MYLR white white interior induction wheels no tow. Got EDD of 10-17-11-03 a day or two after order. It had said prior to order estimated delivery April.
Yesterday got an updated EDD 1/31-2/28 assumed that was probably more accurate.
Today I received VIN and Delivery date of 10/23-10/29
Not sure if I can trust that or not. It is 21 model from Fremont

Reactions: impastu